The Ford GT... Is Coming Back!

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
Does anyone know of a coordinated effort to get the car out on the 50th anniversary of the Lemans win coinciding with the movie "Go Like Hell" with Brad Pitt...
Releasing both at the same time would cause a worldwide sensation, especially if both were good..

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Both sound exciting! Would be great to have one. However if produced in limited nos then will start dealer markups etc. not looking forward to that scenario again!

fecarman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 18, 2007
Both sound exciting! Would be great to have one. However if produced in limited nos then will start dealer markups etc. not looking forward to that scenario again!

I guess you better make friends with a dealer.

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Being a manufacture of VIN numbering machines and tooling...IMHO these are race machines, with 1 year of funding targeted for Lemans, and from across the ocean. But fun to dream.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
That transmission is 100% correctly how they work....crap

Clarkson calls it the "sea sickness" mode

Its been like that since '02 Vanquish; their solution was offering ZF 6sp manual on last 100 Black series

Aston....has no money basically

The "investors" who bought it are NOT car guys and have no idea of the $$$$ necessary to keep auto-technology up to date

Even the new Jaguar owners have passed them in innovation.

Their DBS = DB9 = Vanquish, duplicate model / badge swapping lineup is a travesty
Are you serious?? That's the way it works??? What a huge POS FAIL.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
Being a manufacture of VIN numbering machines and tooling...IMHO these are race machines, with 1 year of funding targeted for Lemans, and from across the ocean. But fun to dream.

what exactly are you saying?

racelance

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 26, 2006
Carlisle, PA
what exactly are you saying?

+1 :)

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
I may stir up the pot a bit , but Yesterday on Woodward Ave at a 'Car-Gathering" I was told that several Suppliers have been querried by Ford as to the feasibility of producing parts for 1000 cars. 200 cars in each of next 5 years. They were asked to quote piece price that would include the tooling being amortized in the 1000 plus pieces. It was noted that the vehicle would be next-gen Ford GT.
Tom...any contacts to confirm?
If even a shred of truth, it would mean that at least some feasibility drawings must have been created to provide for quote.
Rex ?
Any other suppliers input. (most likely they cannot due to confidentiality requirements.)
andy (AJB)

txviper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 31, 2007
My nerves aren't going to last through all this! Ford freaking announce it already! Whatever it is!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
If it happens great.Either way I am thrilled to own my 06!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I may stir up the pot a bit , but Yesterday on Woodward Ave at a 'Car-Gathering" I was told that several Suppliers have been querried by Ford as to the feasibility of producing parts for 1000 cars. 200 cars in each of next 5 years. They were asked to quote piece price that would include the tooling being amortized in the 1000 plus pieces. It was noted that the vehicle would be next-gen Ford GT.
If even a shred of truth, it would mean that at least some feasibility drawings must have been created to provide for quote.
Rex ?
Any other suppliers input. (most likely they cannot due to confidentiality requirements.)
andy (AJB)

See, all of this "querying about a 1000 part run", etc, would have had to have been done at least a year ago for a car that is supposed to be announced "any day now". Unless they announce sketches they need to be a lot further along that what we are hearing if the car is to make a run at LeMans in 2016.

P.S. I'd heard 6000 parts but that was over a year ago. And you all know what happens in the "whisper what you heard from the person on your right to the person to your left".

Last edited:

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Extra, Extra,..., read all about it: Ford have its own Skunkworks team ...

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
Rex ?
andy (AJB)

See, all of this "querying about a 1000 part run", etc, would have had to have been done at least a year ago for a car that is supposed to be announced "any day now". Unless they announce sketches they need to be a lot further along that what we are hearing if the car is to make a run at LeMans in 2016.

P.S. I'd heard 6000 parts but that was over a year ago. And you all know what happens in the "whisper what you heard from the person on your right to the person to your left".

at the very least these two things makes it fun to speculate so.................

200 cars for 5 years:
Just doesn't seem like a very Ford thing to do. They sell cars in quantity.

6000 cars:
This sounds more like a Ford plan.

fecarman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 18, 2007
at the very least these two things makes it fun to speculate so.................

200 cars for 5 years:
Just doesn't seem like a very Ford thing to do. They sell cars in quantity.

6000 cars:
This sounds more like a Ford plan.

At 350 a rattle, how many can they sell?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
At 350 a rattle, how many can they sell?

All they can make.

fecarman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 18, 2007
All they can make.

You should talk to the old Ford suppliers. Ford told them to gear up for 250 thousand widgits but after 12 months Ford could only sell 100 thousand of that model. The supplier was stuck with the ability to build 150 thousand widgits and Ford told them to stick them up their nose. Of course a lot of those suppliers are long gone. There is an old adage. In a perfect world Ford would like to build one less vehicle than there is demand for. The current Ford Motor will err on the side of caution every time. They didn't close all of those assembly plants for nothing. It will be interesting to see where they build this car. It sure won't be Wixom because its gone and replaced by a Menards, General Trailer and soon a Cabelas. I don't think any of them can screw a Supercar together.

BM SoCal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 2, 2009
Orange County, CA
I bought my GT used, wasn't in play for one when they were new. But as I recall reading, originally there was to be more than 4038 units produced in two years. But demand fizzled a bit. I can't imagine a 5 year run, I'd think 1500 x 3 as a max. 1000 x 3 more likely.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
...originally there was to be more than 4038 units produced in two years.

BM SoCal-

I was "in play for one when they were new" and can talk from extensive model seeking experience, there was no fizzle on demand for the car. Only issue was the dealer greed regarding pricing. Prices (with dealer ADM) did rise quite a bit on initial offering and toward the end of 2006 you could probably purchase one of our cars for sticker price, but the demand was (and still is) there. And Ford bumped the MSRP by $10K one time which I believe happened midway through the MY2005. Even at sticker price, the vehicle represents (or represented) extreme automotive value IMO. This is represented by current pricing.

I also do not believe Ford intended to sell more than the 4000ish units finally produced, either in the 2 year production run or with a model year extension. The NTSA crash standards were to change with MY2007 and Ford knew the FGT was not nor could not be redesigned to comply with these new standards. Thus Ford knew early in the FGT design process this would be ONLY a two year production run (2005-2006) with no continuance or overrun into MY2007 even if demand was unprecedented.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I bought my GT used, wasn't in play for one when they were new. But as I recall reading, originally there was to be more than 4038 units produced in two years. But demand fizzled a bit. I can't imagine a 5 year run, I'd think 1500 x 3 as a max. 1000 x 3 more likely.

Demand fizzled? First I've heard of that. Obviously, the initial demand came down to earth. My understanding is supply problems slowed production, and then the plant had to close on schedule because of UAW stuff. So, 4,500 would have been built if 4,500 could have been built.

Am I wrong? I don't mind being wrong, but I like history to be accurate.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
:pop:pop:pop