Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
Demand fizzled? First I've heard of that. Obviously, the initial demand came down to earth. My understanding is supply problems slowed production, and then the plant had to close on schedule because of UAW stuff. So, 4,500 would have been built if 4,500 could have been built.

Am I wrong? I don't mind being wrong, but I like history to be accurate.
I know that it took a long time to move all of the cars built. There were many dealerships sitting with unsold FGT's for a few years after production ended...just sayin'...
Today is a dramatically different story however...obviously, FGT's are sold at huge premiums now, but it wasn't always the case.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I know that it took a long time to move all of the cars built. There were many dealerships sitting with unsold FGT's for a few years after production ended...just sayin'...

That had very little to do with actual demand. A great many dealers kept their cars on the showroom forever with no intentional to sell as perpetual traffic drivers, and another big chunk of dealers went from asking unrealistic premiums to unloading near the end. I used to get the remaining inventory list from Ford periodically and there was always a number of cars technically in inventory that were not actually for sale. I called on some of the cars until they finally dropped out of the system completely and was told by staff at various dealers that they were "not for sale."

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Right On Dave, As A former Ford Dealer I knew many Dealers who just parked them on their showroom floors to draw traffic with no intentions of selling them. This really pissed Ford off but couldn't do anything about it, especially during the 2006 model time. Paying floor plan on those 2006 models after the $10,000 bump in price got pretty expensive after holding them. Ford Dealers pay 1% over NY Prime each month on inventory. That check is cut at the first of every month and it comes around pretty fast 12 times per year. Most dealers floor their inventory because insurance is cheeper on inventory than (on the street insurance rates).

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Right On Dave, As A former Ford Dealer I knew many Dealers who just parked them on their showroom floors to draw traffic with no intentions of selling them. This really pissed Ford off but couldn't do anything about it, especially during the 2006 model time. Paying floor plan on those 2006 models after the $10,000 bump in price got pretty expensive after holding them. Ford Dealers pay 1% over NY Prime each month on inventory. That check is cut at the first of every month and it comes around pretty fast 12 times per year. Most dealers floor their inventory because insurance is cheeper on inventory than (on the street insurance rates).

The last time I checked there was a dealer in Kansas (maybe Oklahoma) that had a yellow GT on the floor for sale for an exorbitant price. He didn't want to sell it but had to have it for sale. I don't know if it is still there.

BM SoCal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 2, 2009
Orange County, CA
Today is a dramatically different story however...obviously, FGT's are sold at huge premiums now, but it wasn't always the case.

Exactly my point. Ok some don't like the word fizzled, that's fine, lets say the demand was met or the market sufficiently saturated at the time. Sure some dealers parked them but the secondary market had plenty of cars for unremarkable (but still very solid) prices. Like mine which had 1400 miles. It's ok, gullwings fared even less, could be had for under $5k at one point.

I think the GT is the most spectacular car and value (part of that is the low ma) anywhere. Could have bought any car on the road and this is what I chose. I'll never sell it. Part of the special nature of this car and the reason for excitement and value holding is the two year run. Make it 5 and that diminishes.

sahlman

Ford GT Team Alumni
Jul 21, 2011
Verona, WI
Production Numbers and Sales

DBK and others are correct on what happened at the end regarding the perception of "slow sales" at the end.

About half of the cars were allocated to dealers based on a points system (volume, customer satisfaction, etc) and the rest by a lottery. The allocation dealers got their cars first. Most Ford dealers were lucky to get one GT if any. So, the lottery dealers and others who only got on GT did exactly what DBK described.

Volume was reduced to 4038 because of 2 main reasons: 1) our ramp up on production was a little behind schedule and then our control arm recall threw it off even more and we were not able to make it up. The FGT production timing was 30 months from the very beginning of the program in the Spring of 2002. This production length was fixed because the '05/'06 FGT would not pass new safety and emissions standards beyond the planned end of production. We knew about both standards at the very beginning, but did not design for them per the program marching orders with our very tight timing and apparently the company's desire to force the limited production run. Sales figures or otherwise had no bearing on the end of production.

I think back on the GT and all of us on the program should have predicted what has happened with the pricing, but I did not. Approximately the first thousand cars sold for an average price of $225k+. Many were at $300k. Yes, FGT's near the "end" sold for MSRP, but it was in many cases a year or two after production when the dealers DBK describes figured out they weren't going to get the big money and the enthusiasm had waned in many of the more limited markets.

If FGT sales had really fallen off to the level some appear to suggest then I am fairly certain the value of the FGT would not be what it is today. It is cool that a vehicle we all love and many of us put so much effort into, is valued so high, but at the same time I am disappointed that so many FGT conversations are biased toward its value, because it appears to mean less and less of them are driven as we intended.

Scott

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
It is cool that a vehicle we all love and many of us put so much effort into, is valued so high, but at the same time I am disappointed that so many FGT conversations are biased toward its value, because it appears to mean less and less of them are driven as we intended.

Scott

Amen brother!

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Amen brother!

I would expect someone with a red car to avoid all discussions about value.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I would expect someone with a red car to avoid all discussions about value.

I try to. They are all very boring. :sleep:

The hierarchy of discussion interest:

1. Ideas

2. Events

3. People

4. Money (a very distant 4th)

Last edited:

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Lots more fun to drive than wax

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
As someone with over 26,000 miles behind the wheel of a GT (after picking it up with 7 miles from Santa Monica Ford in August 2005) I can confirm they are far more fun to drive than to wax or stare at.

If my car was a flawless, bubble wrapped garage queen with 189 miles it would obviously be worth more money. Instead it's a scarred and scuffed road warrior that's been used as a daily driver, airport shuttle, track car, weekend pleasure toy, show car and road tripper. Drove it from LA to Denver and back in 2008 for my high school reunion, and yes, it was as awesome as you're imagining ("Oh, hi former cheerleader who didn't give me the time of day back in the day. Yeah, this is my ride...and my beautiful wife that gets to ride the ride").

Those memories are invaluable and irreplaceable. As most here know, the car is a freak of mechanical nature. It somehow manages to be the most beautiful, robust and rewarding car on the planet, even a decade after it was designed (and trust me, I've driven enough high-dollar cars to know from which I speak).

The value discussion is always mildly entertaining. But also purely academic for people who have seriously connected with the car. Unless you are in dire financial circumstances I can't grasp how anyone ever sells a GT. They are the once-in-a-lifetime ownership experience every true car guy dreams of.

But that's just me...

Last edited:

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
The value discussion is always mildly entertaining. But also purely academic for people who have seriously connected with the car. Unless you are in dire financial circumstances I can't grasp how anyone ever sells a GT. They are the once-in-a-lifetime ownership experience every true car guy dreams of.

ENZO BTR, This small paragraph says it all. Well stated.

Last edited:

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
the value discussion is always mildly entertaining. But also purely academic for people who have seriously connected with the car. Unless you are in dire financial circumstances i can't grasp how anyone ever sells a gt. They are the once-in-a-lifetime ownership experience every true car guy dreams of.

Enz btr, this small paragraph says it all. Well stated.
amen!

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Scott, thanks very much for your insider information as a GT Team Member as to the production numbers!

This type of commentary from engineers who lived our dream car is what makes this Forum so special.

And ENZO BTR, you hit the nail on the head!
Owning one of these vehicles is truly a once-in-a-lifetime ownership experience.:thumbsup

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Volume was reduced to 4038 because of 2 main reasons: 1) our ramp up on production was a little behind schedule and then our control arm recall threw it off even more and we were not able to make it up. The FGT production timing was 30 months from the very beginning of the program in the Spring of 2002. This production length was fixed because the '05/'06 FGT would not pass new safety and emissions standards beyond the planned end of production. We knew about both standards at the very beginning, but did not design for them per the program marching orders with our very tight timing and apparently the company's desire to force the limited production run. Sales figures or otherwise had no bearing on the end of production.

Quoted for posterity because this comes up all the time. If I recall correctly, in the beginning ramp up was supposed to quickly reach ~9 units a day, and for quite a while it was way down near 2/3/4. Took out a pretty big chunk right there.

It is cool that a vehicle we all love and many of us put so much effort into, is valued so high, but at the same time I am disappointed that so many FGT conversations are biased toward its value, because it appears to mean less and less of them are driven as we intended.

I think the value thing is tired (and it's going to get a lot more tired and/or contentious), but it's inevitable. While some people don't drive as much to preserve value, some people also don't drive as much because they are worried about the inability to satisfactorily replace parts of the car or the car in its entirety should anything happen to it. I said for years that we were going to drive the piss out of the cars at the Rally for at least a couple years because in the not-too-distant future an expanding number of owners would be less willing to do so. I've been pleasantly surprised that we've had as many owners willing to still hit the road or the track as we have.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
"While some people don't drive as much to preserve value, some people also don't drive as much because they are worried about the inability to satisfactorily replace parts of the car or the car in its entirety should anything happen to it"

This has and will be even greater issue as time goes on. Even if you get a fair insurance issue replacing your car would be a difficult task. Having your car repaired although it is sickening thought may not be an option as parts become more expensive, hard to find and salvage values rise. A problem but a good problem to have since we have the GT.

Our cars are probably much safer on the track at our Rally than on the street with all the idiot drivers and people hanging out the windows taking pictures.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
but at the same time I am disappointed that so many FGT conversations are biased toward its value, because it appears to mean less and less of them are driven as we intended.

Scott

I keep saying the same thing.

david b

GT Owner
Jun 10, 2010
cleveland ohio
I keep saying the same thing.

The value discussion is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo tired.

Value is a personal thing. Some people value money. Some people value memories. At the end of the day its personal.

That being said anyone who values memories I ll buy your car for original msrp to bring back some memories:)

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
"While some people don't drive as much to preserve value, some people also don't drive as much because they are worried about the inability to satisfactorily replace parts of the car or the car in its entirety should anything happen to it"

This has and will be even greater issue as time goes on. Even if you get a fair insurance issue replacing your car would be a difficult task. Having your car repaired although it is sickening thought may not be an option as parts become more expensive, hard to find and salvage values rise. A problem but a good problem to have since we have the GT.

Our cars are probably much safer on the track at our Rally than on the street with all the idiot drivers and people hanging out the windows taking pictures.

Especially true in California where we have a large population of uninsured illegal aliens who don't drive well and have no respect for other drivers.