Stillen clutch group buy

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Why do so many need new clutches? Mine feels as good at 23k mi as it did at 3k mi. I understand the heavily hp/tq modded cars. Is everyone who is "in" heavily modded? Do I need to buy this and put it on the shelf in case I need it in another 75k mi?
My thought exactly. I have 10,000 miles on mine. I emailed Rich as to the wisdom of keeping oneon the shelf. I have over 70,000 miles on my NSX, with original clutch. Do I need to buy one to keep it on the shelf, just "in case"?

I have zero use for one now, and may never, but a clutch is a consumable item, and I would like a spare as this might be the only chance to get one of these.
Or this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
My understanding is that the Stillen is an OEM clutch with different friction padding. Is that not true? Would that mean we could simply put in an OEM clutch disc in the future?

PHXGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
I think I would be in for one!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Should we pay pal or send a check?

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
My understanding is that the Stillen is an OEM clutch with different friction padding. Is that not true? Would that mean we could simply put in an OEM clutch disc in the future?

I would like to know the answer to that.

I have the Stillen clutch and 935HP TT horsepower and track use in 2 years has worn out the clutch discs.
Are those available from AP and can I simply use original clutch discs??

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
AP racing, who makes the disks for the stocker and Stillen, told me in 2010 that they do not sell replacement discs for either.

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
Slightly OT, but is there is big difference in pedal feel and chatter between the basic Stillen upgrade and the Spec? Asking because the Stillen IIRC is non rebuildable... meaning full price each time... vs. a 50% drop in price for my next Spec... if i were to purchase a Spec. I had a Spec in my Turbo NSX without any complaints...

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
...and additionally, how are Spec rebuilds handled? Do you get a rebuilt unit and then return your core to them? Or, do you have to ship your clutch and wait for rebuild and return shipping? If the latter, you have to live with significant downtime.

I'm skeptical of the benefits of "rebuildable" anything, unless it's for racing applications where frequent rebuilds are necessary.

I almost bit on rebuildable external reservoir shocks for my off-road truck. Then I heard complaints of extended downtime while waiting for the units to be rebuilt.

Cost/benefit of rebuild capability seems to depend how much the downtime matters and how often it is needed. For something as infrequent as clutch replacement, I'm not sure the cost savings is very meaningful. Particularly, when you have to trust that the rebuild service will still be available in another 9-10 years.

I think I just made the case for myself that the Stillen group buy is the way to go.

Last edited:

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
I don't know what Spec does but I believe "rebuild" is a misnomer. I would think they could just send new discs.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
...and additionally, how are Spec rebuilds handled? Do you get a rebuilt unit and then return your core to them? Or, do you have to ship your clutch and wait for rebuild and return shipping? If the latter, you have to live with significant downtime..

Spec is located about 1.5 hours from me and I have become friends with one of the engineers there. I asked him this and here is his answer:

They send them in for rebuild... Takes about 3-4 days usually. So that and ship time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I really wonder why all of you with so few miles on your cars are purchasing clutches for the future. Will they sit on your shelves for 20 years before you install them?

Or, are you so abusive to your clutches when you drive that you burn them out quickly. The key to a long lasting clutch is to let it engage before applying the power through it.

My clutch has felt the same throughout the 86,000 miles - but I treat it nicely, and double clutch often when shifting.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
And we thought it was Parkinson's.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Im extremely light on clutches. My thought is that I might not have another shot at this, and in the end, might never need it.

I really wonder why all of you with so few miles on your cars are purchasing clutches for the future. .

thegtguy

*Supporting Vendor* GT Owner
Apr 20, 2006
MI
We have just over half of the order spoken for so I will be contacting everyone in the next week or two for the deposits so we can get this order under way.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
I really wonder why all of you with so few miles on your cars are purchasing clutches for the future. Will they sit on your shelves for 20 years before you install them?

Or, are you so abusive to your clutches when you drive that you burn them out quickly. The key to a long lasting clutch is to let it engage before applying the power through it.

My clutch has felt the same throughout the 86,000 miles - but I treat it nicely, and double clutch often when shifting.

I had 100k on my AP/Stillen unit. had a little slipping after engagement in street use. Didn't slip at all on the track, so it's Time to change it out.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Sweet, looks like its gonna happen! Thanks guys for making it come together!

We have just over half of the order spoken for so I will be contacting everyone in the next week or two for the deposits so we can get this order under way.

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
For as infrequently as most drive their GT's... i doubt a week of down time matters unless you are going to an event. I myself drive more than almost anyone here as far as I know (53k miles and going up daily)... but have a 2nd vehicle i can drive for a week if required. In addition, if you are debating down time, and need a clutch right now, you are up the creek if you want the stillen, as they are not currently available. THe same will likely be true at whatever time your next clutch goes. I figure $1500 saved on the rebuild (you send them the clutch IIRC) is money i can spend on my next mod... assuming the Spec lasts the same time and miles... and if the clutch feel is similar, then its a no brainer. Of course, my OEM clutch has 53k and doesn't slip yet.. so maybe i should just go with OEM, who knows.

...and additionally, how are Spec rebuilds handled? Do you get a rebuilt unit and then return your core to them? Or, do you have to ship your clutch and wait for rebuild and return shipping? If the latter, you have to live with significant downtime.

I'm skeptical of the benefits of "rebuildable" anything, unless it's for racing applications where frequent rebuilds are necessary.

I almost bit on rebuildable external reservoir shocks for my off-road truck. Then I heard complaints of extended downtime while waiting for the units to be rebuilt.

Cost/benefit of rebuild capability seems to depend how much the downtime matters and how often it is needed. For something as infrequent as clutch replacement, I'm not sure the cost savings is very meaningful. Particularly, when you have to trust that the rebuild service will still be available in another 9-10 years.

I think I just made the case for myself that the Stillen group buy is the way to go.

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
I find the OEM one to be great. Why change, if the OE is that good? I have been running 766rwhp for years.

thegtguy

*Supporting Vendor* GT Owner
Apr 20, 2006
MI
Stillen clutch

Just to update everyone. I have sent emails and pm's to all that have responded. If I missed you or you would like to be added to the list let me know by email richgtguy@gmail.com.

We are taking deposits for the clutches (not a Ponzi scheme, FRANK) now.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
I myself drive more than almost anyone here as far as I know (53k miles and going up daily)...

Just an observation here peiserg, you are definitely in the upper 4% of high mileage owners. But you are not alone.
Did you participate in the below thread?

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...iven-in-a-Ford-GT-(Poll)/page3?highlight=poll