Sooooo, is it to early to ask about Rally VIII?

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
Just an FYI, but Laguna Seca is about the same price as Miller Motorsports Park. This is to say "not cheap," but we've spent the big money for the good venue before.

I can't imagine a track that would be more fun than Laguna. For those of you who have never driven the Cork Screw at speed (and I mean at high speed)....I can only say it is generally recognized as the greatest most unique corner on any race track anywhere.....my helmet bulges due to my smile every time I dive-bomb that corner....

Lol....you got me....I fixed it....

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
^^^ I suppose more than your helmet would bulge on the Cock Screw. And, BTW, don't claim fat fingers! The C is two rows away from the R. hahaha!

My claim to fame is I trained for bicycle racing at Laguna Seca. lol.

P.S. I should have quoted before you edited. ;-)

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Just an FYI, but Laguna Seca is about the same price as Miller Motorsports Park. This is to say "not cheap," but we've spent the big money for the good venue before.

But wouldn't we need one of the limited high sound days to run? I assume that would cost extra. Only a completely stock FGT has a chance to pass the 92 db limit.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
But wouldn't we need one of the limited high sound days to run? I assume that would cost extra. Only a completely stock FGT has a chance to pass the 92 db limit.

At some tracks, sound is not measured on a "per car" basis, but on the average of all the cars in a given group or event. For example, Portland has a specific max level, but is an average level during a race. This year at the HMSA Vintage Race, in order to avoid further noise level problems, they (1) had the sound meter moved (with approval) to a position a bit away from the max acceleration point, and (2) adjusted the car groups to not exceed the average level.

Not like private days at Thunderhill, where they measure each car individually....

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
At some tracks, sound is not measured on a "per car" basis, but on the average of all the cars in a given group or event. For example, Portland has a specific max level, but is an average level during a race. This year at the HMSA Vintage Race, in order to avoid further noise level problems, they (1) had the sound meter moved (with approval) to a position a bit away from the max acceleration point, and (2) adjusted the car groups to not exceed the average level.

Not like private days at Thunderhill, where they measure each car individually....

When I was last there, Laguna Seca measures the cars coming up toward turn 6. 92 db is very quiet, many stock sports cars are louder than that when at WOT.

Blue Moose

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Chandler,Arizona.
Ralphie - that is HYSTERICAL!!

[guess which moose]

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia

Dave, should any conclusions be made because of your knowledge of Laguna Seca rental costs? Should we be looking into advanced silencer technology?

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
When I was last there, Laguna Seca measures the cars coming up toward turn 6. 92 db is very quiet, many stock sports cars are louder than that when at WOT.

Laguna has 90db, 92db & open days. That's it. My friend's stock Z06 did not pass the 92db limit. No side pipe car (ex stock Viper) will ever pass. It's bad when the highway is louder than the racetrack.

Ed

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Laguna has 90db, 92db & open days. That's it. My friend's stock Z06 did not pass the 92db limit. No side pipe car (ex stock Viper) will ever pass. It's bad when the highway is louder than the racetrack.

Ed

Maybe Dave got a quote for a open day. :thumbsup

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005

Ed

My driveway is louder than this track! :lol

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
And you wonder why your neighbors stopped talking to you......? ;)

My driveway is louder than this track! :lol

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
And you wonder why your neighbors stopped talking to you......? ;)

When they are talking to me, I answer "what did you say again." :lol

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
What's the farthest you guys would be willing to drive in one day on a really scenic road rally? 200 miles? 250 miles? More?

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I like driving, a 250 mile scenic trip on quality roads is just getting started IMO.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
More is better, but logistically, with 50+ cars, I think it can get difficult past 200 miles. Pee breaks, fuel ups, lunch, stretch breaks, etc. Few traffic lights and few recoveries from wrong turns can help. lol.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I think it depends more on overall duration, IE time of stops, speeds etc. If leaving at 9-10, need to be back in the 3-4 range to hotel. total duration in the 6-8 hour range. My 2c

What's the farthest you guys would be willing to drive in one day on a really scenic road rally? 200 miles? 250 miles? More?

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
The scenic drive in Utah (long route) was a great trip and not too long, but I cant remember the length of it. If its a scenic trip with great GT roads, the distance is immaterial to me.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

Depends on how many stops for photo opportunities. Our trip took about 4 hours but that included two photo stops on the way up to Estes, lunch, and then the drive back to home. Google Maps tells me this was about 90 miles.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona

Averaging 70 mph, 2 hours out, stop for lunch, and 2 hours in would be a comfortable 280 miles so if speeds were decent, 300 miles would be OK IMO.

Chip

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
I'm with the others, distance not that important. Out about 9, back in about 4, lots to see, do and drive in between.