Sooooo, is it to early to ask about Rally VIII?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Laguna has 90db, 92db & open days. That's it. My friend's stock Z06 did not pass the 92db limit. No side pipe car (ex stock Viper) will ever pass. It's bad when the highway is louder than the racetrack.

Ed
My driveway is louder than this track! :lol

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
Ed,

Good info....two questions. How do you mean too long of a track? And, what are they doing on both sides of the highway, two different tracks?

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Fernley is also very hard on tires - volcanic pumice on each side of the track, which gets onto the track surface when the wind blows. I thought that the layout of the track was OK, lots of varying radii turns and elevation changes - but the setting and facilities are not good.

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
And you wonder why your neighbors stopped talking to you......? ;)

My driveway is louder than this track! :lol

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
And you wonder why your neighbors stopped talking to you......? ;)
When they are talking to me, I answer "what did you say again." :lol

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
Willow Springs (Big Track) will really test your skills because a mistake in 8 or 9 could have major consequences, it is also a very fun track to drive and has no noise restrictions that both Laguna Seca and Sears Point have.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Willow Springs (Big Track) will really test your skills because a mistake in 8 or 9 could have major consequences, it is also a very fun track to drive and has no noise restrictions that both Laguna Seca and Sears Point have.
WSIR is VERY fast. 9 is a very high speed sweeper which is probably scariest for those more comfortable with the track and therefore take that turn very quickly. Personally, I've almost lost it at 3 and 4, probably the slowest parts of the track but very unforgiving if throttle and steering inputs aren't spot on.

Most have probably seen this, but here's a Japanese review of the GT at WSIR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VSyO7PciLM

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'd definitely go to Miller Motor Sports if it were there.

Shelby American is using the Spring Mountain facility in Pahrump, NV. They had their event there this year, and except for the driving distance from hotel (South Point handles trailers and protected parking very well) to the track, people liked the track.

Colorado has some tracks but I've never been to them, maybe Mike or Jim have. There is one in Byers, and the old Pueblo track is no back on the air. The thing is for Byers, it's a 45 minute drive to the facility (assuming people would want to stay where there is something happening which means downtown Denver - a great place with lots of places to stay and eat and party).

Pueblo has no socially redeeming value :( (Sorry if anyone lives there is offended, but hosting an event like this there would be a stretch.)

Is it really necessary to tie it to a track? How about a couple of days of "road trips" and drives in the mountains? Steamboat Springs hosts one of the largest Mustang gatherings in the country with only a auto-cross track but do day drives. They used to do vintage racing but stopped that a number of years ago.

Last edited:

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
I'd definitely go to Miller Motor Sports if it were there.

Shelby American is using the Spring Mountain facility in Pahrump, NV. They had their event there this year, and except for the driving distance from hotel (South Point handles trailers and protected parking very well) to the track, people liked the track.

Colorado has some tracks but I've never been to them, maybe Mike or Jim have. There is one in Byers, and the old Pueblo track is no back on the air. The thing is for Byers, it's a 45 minute drive to the facility (assuming people would want to stay where there is something happening which means downtown Denver - a great place with lots of places to stay and eat and party).

Pueblo has no socially redeeming value :( (Sorry if anyone lives there is offended, but hosting an event like this there would be a stretch.)

Is it really necessary to tie it to a track? How about a couple of days of "road trips" and drives in the mountains? Steamboat Springs hosts one of the largest Mustang gatherings in the country with only a auto-cross track but do day drives. They used to do vintage racing but stopped that a number of years ago.
Don't know if it makes a difference, but previous rallies have been at Miller and Spring Mountain. Think Colorado would be a great location. Only potential issue is weather. Doesn't it get pretty darn cold there by October?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Sears Point.

DBK

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
The annual thread where people pitch the location closest to their house. :lol

Sorry guys, R8 is very close to set in stone. Prior year attendees input is given priority. Bonehead-how is the car search coming?

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
Most have probably seen this, but here's a Japanese review of the GT at WSIR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VSyO7PciLM
This guy certainly doesn't know how to drive Willow, and his lap time was comparable to some SCCA classes with well less than 100 HP.....lol.....

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Don't know if it makes a difference, but previous rallies have been at Miller and Spring Mountain. Think Colorado would be a great location. Only potential issue is weather. Doesn't it get pretty darn cold there by October?
Like I said, Colorado does have limited track. But I would also say that the weather in October is a crap shoot. It can rain or snow, but it won't be major accumulations, but they will potentially sand/mag chloride the roads if it does snow. Make it a few weeks earlier and you should be OK. But that's the mountains proper. (See the pics from what we did yesterday.) We didn't have any trouble with cold tires yesterday.

DBK

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
What's the farthest you guys would be willing to drive in one day on a really scenic road rally? 200 miles? 250 miles? More?

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
Guys,

"Sorry guys, R8 is very close to set in stone"!

Dave, if possible let us know as early as you can so we can start planning. I know you have heard it but "THANKS" That was an EPIC time. Somewhere that has something close to resembling Bourbon Street would be nice.

Larry

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I like driving, a 250 mile scenic trip on quality roads is just getting started IMO.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
More is better, but logistically, with 50+ cars, I think it can get difficult past 200 miles. Pee breaks, fuel ups, lunch, stretch breaks, etc. Few traffic lights and few recoveries from wrong turns can help. lol.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I think it depends more on overall duration, IE time of stops, speeds etc. If leaving at 9-10, need to be back in the 3-4 range to hotel. total duration in the 6-8 hour range. My 2c

What's the farthest you guys would be willing to drive in one day on a really scenic road rally? 200 miles? 250 miles? More?

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
The scenic drive in Utah (long route) was a great trip and not too long, but I cant remember the length of it. If its a scenic trip with great GT roads, the distance is immaterial to me.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
The annual thread where people pitch the location closest to their house. :lol

Sorry guys, R8 is very close to set in stone. Prior year attendees input is given priority. Bonehead-how is the car search coming?
Somewhat at a standstill. Still waiting for my Porsche to sell before I can move on anything else. Went to visit Marv Rose about a week ago. Very gratious, we chatted about GT's for a bit. He's keeping his eyes/feelers out for what I'm looking for. Hopefully, by the time I'm ready to pull the trigger, he'll have something lined up for me.

So......any hints as to the location of R8?

This guy certainly doesn't know how to drive Willow, and his lap time was comparable to some SCCA classes with well less than 100 HP.....lol.....
I never said it was a good example of driving skill:) Just a fun vid of a GT at Big Willow;)