She keeps starting!

t32b

Verde
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 21, 2007
Bay Area, CA
Sorry if this is a repeat. I did some searching but saw no obvious matches before my post...
My gal often sits in the garage for a week or three in between rides. So it seems to me that I ought to use the oil-change starting technique when I first start her up.
I hold down the throttle to the floor, hit the button, and wham, a full throttle start. Exactly what I don't want to happen.
I want to be able to crank her for a bit to ensure that there is some circulation of oil before it lights up.
I'm sure this is pilot error. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks,
t32b

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB
I found this quote from an old post. Hope it helps.

Stormcat and OC pete have it right. Here is what I have in my notebook.

1.Turn the key to the on position.
2. Hold the accelerator pedal on the floor.
3. Push the start button.
4. Let it crank until you see oil pressure via the gauge in the dash.
Upon seeing pressure, let up on the start button, BEFORE you let up on the pedal.

5.Release the pedal and then start normally.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The correct 4 steps are described accurately above. Namely, make sure you turn the key all the way on and wait a second or two to let the ECU poll the sensors and get its start position feedback. Then, depress the accelerator to the floor. Make sure a carpet mat or similar object is not preventing you from being floored all the way. Press the start button. That said, I have a couple of comments.

1. I've had a few '05 cars that simply will not activate the gauges while cranking. So, you will never see oil pressure. In these cases, I would recommend 30 seconds of cranking, then start as normal.

2. I'm not sure of the necessity to use the priming procedure after the car has been sitting. For example, I don't think the procedure is necessary after 5 days of sitting, and I dont think anything happens between 5 days and 50 days in terms of oil moving around. JMO.

Last edited:

DWR46

GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 20, 2008
I agree with NOTA4RE, no reason to use the priming procedure for a cold start after just sitting for a length of time. My 2005 does not activate the gauges while cranking, so I just spin the motor for awhile after an oil change and then start it up.

t32b

Verde
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 21, 2007
Bay Area, CA
Ah, that's the best possible answer - bypassing the whole issue.
So, though it's moot, just in case it's ever required, and assuming the battery is topped off (I keep it on a Battery Tender), can I just crank her for the cited 30 seconds. Does that risk overheating the starter?
And thank everyone for the quick responses.

I agree with NOTA4RE, no reason to use the priming procedure for a cold start after just sitting for a length of time. My 2005 does not activate the gauges while cranking, so I just spin the motor for awhile after an oil change and then start it up.

DWR46

GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 20, 2008
30 seconds seems like a long time to me! I crank it in 5 second bursts, and wait a few seconds between. About 4 times, and then just start the car and the oil pressure registers on the gauge instantly.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I think 30 seconds in to long... Torrie, Bill, please weigh in....

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Prime only, long enough to see the oil pressure gauge move and stabilize. This presumes that the gauge works during cranking. I never paid attention to that.

Of course you are trading off potential engine wear for guaranteed starter motor wear.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Of course you are trading off potential engine wear for guaranteed starter motor wear.

Okay, I'm gunna be the "odd man out" here. (I know. What's new?)

I purposely watched the oil gauge during startup after having run the car for 30 miles...shutting it off...eating breakfast...and then going back out to the car and starting it to drive home. Oil pressure was virtually INSTANT upon starting.

Paid the same attention to the gauge on a COLD start after the car had sat for about 8 weeks. 'INSTANT pressure. 'Zactly the same as the previously described "start".

So, I believe all this is much FRETTING about nothing. The Synthetic oil the GT uses clings to parts pretty well anyway. And, the oil can't "drain away" from the 'pump regardless. Oil is ALWAYS sitting right there on the intake side of the pump...being "gravity fed" to it as a matter of fact, if you will!

So, I'd say this is much hand wringing over nothing.

Just my $.03 - right or wrong.

Aug 25, 2006
I think 30 seconds in to long... Torrie, Bill, please weigh in....

I agree that 30 seconds at a single time is more than I would do because of my concern of over heating the starter; 10-15 seconds would be my maximum and then if to be repeated I would wait 30 seconds or better in-betrween each cycle.

Takes care

Shadowman

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
I agree with the Shadow.

Everything is downsized these days to cut weight (and cost). The starter is no exception. Today they are small, high powered (that means high amprege) and get hot relatively quickly.

I favor the 15 sec rule as well if you have to engage for that lenght of time. I would wait 45-60 seconds between bursts....

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
We're all in agreement. It takes ~ 30 seconds of cranking for them to prime. You can break it up if you are concerned about the starter.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Besides the overheating issue, I believe the starter is a 12v DC motor with brushes. Brushed motors have a limited lifespan due to brush wear which is largely independent of heat and approximately proportional to run time.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
I was told to ONLY use the priming procedure when the oil is fully drained and new oil is added (ie oil change). I don't even use the prime process after my car has set ALL WINTER and the oil pressure comes up instantly..

Rich/GT Tech any comment on this?
AJB