Shadowman's OEM/NASCAR Style Front Brake Ducts

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
HA! "The next person" considering this project WILL SIMPLY BRING HIS CAR TO YOU if he has any sense at all, Bill! :cheers

That is an understatement of the year!

Anyone thinking of doing this kinds of modifications outside of DA is about as smart as those that work during the day at

East Capitol Street,
NE and 1st Street
NE Washington, DC 20002

:lol

BTW, the duct work is phenomenal! It's as an OEM would have done it in the absents of any cost constraints! :thumbsup

Aug 25, 2006
UPDATE

Here are a few more pictures

All of the fabrication work, dry-fitting, and then paint and powder coating has been completed as such the final assembly of the custom front brake air duct system is being tended to on both of the gals.

The first pictures shows the custom aluminum rotor backing plate installed after they were powder coated semi gloss black

The second picture shows the machined aluminum standoffs located between the steering knuckle and the rotor backing plate to insure proper support for the rotor backing plate.

The third and forth pictures show the front brakes fully assembled with the custom rotor backing plate in position leaving only the final piece of the flexible air duct tube to be put in place.

The fifth picture is the primary air duct ready to be integrated into the OEM front fascia on the second gal

The sixth and seventh pictures show the primary air duct integrated; in the case of these gals machined aluminum inserts were created to which the closure panels can be attached

The eighth and ninth pictures show the nose of the gal with the custom air duct system fully integrated along with the closure panels in place.

Takes care

Shadowman

Attachments

• DSC02807.JPG
    DSC02807.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 280
  • DSC02808.JPG
    DSC02808.JPG
    21.6 KB · Views: 274
  • DSC03080.JPG
    DSC03080.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 278
  • DSC03085.JPG
    DSC03085.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 271
Aug 25, 2006
Continued.....

The closure panels were created for these gals so as to offer system flexibility, example, during adverse conditions such as heavy rain as well as extreme cold when having extra air flow and or water fed across the rotors is not a benefit they can be left closed. Then when participating in events such the standing mile using the closure panels will make the nose of the gal slipperier without the need for "blue" or 100MPH duct tape to seal the pockets. The manner in when they were integrated causes no air flow restriction when the closure plates have been removed and the process is easy and takes only a couple minutes.

Takes care

Shadowman

Attachments

• DSC03035.JPG
    DSC03035.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 273
  • DSC03064.JPG
    DSC03064.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 276
  • DSC03063.JPG
    DSC03063.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 272
  • DSC03076.JPG
    DSC03076.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 272
  • DSC03077.JPG
    DSC03077.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 272
Last edited:

freeflyer

GT Owner/ Forum Sponsor
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 12, 2007
Montana
First class work as always!

86blackwidow

Mar 10, 2008
Ventura,ca
That is some amazing craftsmanship.

John B

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2006
Beautiful work!!
I would go without the fans though, they look like more of an obstruction than providing help. I think the point is to duct as much air onto the rotor as possible at high speeds with heavy braking (during a track day). A cool off lap should be sufficient to get things back down to reasonable temps before entering the pits. Not a factor at all on the street.

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
Damn you do nice work Bill. It was a pleasure seeing the start of that project and where it has led.

Richard Hille
The GT School

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Very nice !
Well thought out.
As always!

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
fan assist for front brake ducts

John B - the fans actually are not a restriction below 175 mph. NASCAR uses them on their slower tracks on all cars. There is a lot of wind tunnel testing on the fans & they absolutely help. All my road race buddies have them. I haven't been on a road course where we have hit over 175 mph so they will be fine.

Ed

Aug 25, 2006
UPDATE

For all the correct reasons I got a little side tracked and then add to this I had to have a couple more pieces powder coated as such I am still tending to the final details as associated with this project however I have now integrated the custom front brake air duct transition manifolds into the front portion of the inner fender liners; yes both of these gal have the front inner fender liners converted to a two piece system; a system that I created and have remained an advocate of for the past few years.

In addition I have finalized the flexible air duct hose length as required within the wheel well; it is 30" and then I had to decide how to secure the duct so that it would be functional, look as if OEM, and also remain easy to service over time because flexible brake ducting does have a service life and this is one far less than that of the gal.

I decided to use JackNuts; these install into a bored hole and then similar to a Riv-Nut secure in a sandwiching manner as they are tightened in position however the JackNuts have a much larger exterior flange (with a serrated underside edge) diameter when compared to the bored through hole diameter and have 4 fingers that extend well beyond the bored through hole on the backside thus insuring a tight fit and cannot rotate or be pulled out, they are nearly flush, and will certainly weather the test of time. To the JackNuts the flexible air duct hose will be secured.

Takes care

Shadowman

Attachments

• DSC03402.JPG
    DSC03402.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 141
  • DSC03404.JPG
    DSC03404.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 134
  • DSC03410.JPG
    DSC03410.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 134