Shadowman's OEM/NASCAR Style Front Brake Ducts

Aug 25, 2006
silly question....

are these ducts blocked off when they come from the factory?

Mullet did you pick up your gal second hand or may be at the speeds you and your gal travel the plastic caps popped off.

I only ask becaise yes what appear to be brake duct openings in the fron fascia are in fact sealed as OEM.

All the best

Shadowman

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ
what appear to be brake duct openings in the front fascia are in fact sealed as OEM.

Agreed. +1 :thumbsup

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Great thread about this development, also Bill, great story about Smokey Yunik.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I don't know why you guys are reinventing the wheel. Just duct the AC to the brakes. Bunch of engineers.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
Mullet did you pick up your gal second hand or may be at the speeds you and your gal travel the plastic caps popped off.

I only ask becaise yes what appear to be brake duct openings in the fron fascia are in fact sealed as OEM.

All the best

Shadowman

mine are sealed (got my car with 770 miles on it). was just making sure.

Aug 25, 2006
mine are sealed (got my car with 770 miles on it). was just making sure.

Yours are as OEM

If you looked at the pictures once assembled the secondary systems no longer allowed for ducting to be integrated in the gals without going back to the drawing board akin to where I am at.

Thank you for the clarification

Shadowman

Aug 25, 2006
UPDATE

So by now you should have completed the a/c line modification and as the result have a clear path for ducting and a fan if desired on the passenger side so now let’s tackle the driver side.

Once the radiator saddle is removed, the OEM wiring harness temporarily moved out of the way (as it will be re-secured as OEM once this task is completed), and the power steering hose is removed from the cooler it is time to bend the OEM power steering line so as to locate it on the outside of the frame rail rather than directly there the opening in the saddle.

It is tedious and with patience your results will be stellar.

The first two pictures show that a tube bender can be fit in place and the task completed without remove the line from the steering rack.

The third picture shows that this modification allows for the OEM line retainer to remain in place and be used.

The forth picture shows the completed results; I add a p-clamp at the upper saddle Torx to control the transient vibration otherwise all retainers are as OEM.

The fifth picture shows that now as with the driver side there is clear passage through the saddle for ducting and a fan if so desired.

I state this over and over; the project is not for the meek of heart as such if you consider such an undertaking take a deep breath and relax then enjoy the processes.

Now the primary reason that I share this project in detail is so that folks understand in advance what it take to complete the process thus allowing one to decide; is it needed/wanted, do I want to tackle it myself, or is this a project better tended to by another.

Takes care

Shadowman

Attachments

• DSC01435.JPG
    DSC01435.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 268
  • DSC01441.JPG
    DSC01441.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 268
  • DSC01456.JPG
    DSC01456.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 262
  • DSC01465.JPG
    DSC01465.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 267
  • DSC01450.JPG
    DSC01450.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 262

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
UPDATE...

I state this over and over; the project is not for the meek of heart as such if you consider such an undertaking take a deep breath and relax then enjoy the processes.

Now the primary reason that I share this project in detail is so that folks understand in advance what it take to complete the process thus allowing one to decide; is it needed/wanted, do I want to tackle it myself, or is this a project better tended to by another.

Takes care

Shadowman

I'm glad Bill has undertaken this project for the many FGT owners on the left coast. It is a difficult, but straight forward project. I'm sure he'll get to installing the ducting and modifying the inner fender liners in his treatise. I had it installed on my gal by the GT Guy (Rich and Dennis) in Scottsdale at Chip's house last year prior to Rally IV. Rocketman (Ron) has also had the brake ducting installed.

The only non-functional parts on the Ford GT are these duct inlets, and they were originally intended to be functional. They were not installed due to insufficient time to redesign the AC line in order to meet the car's committed launch date. Shadowman, & Rich and Dennis (GT Guy) have corrected this error, and allow our gals to achieve their original intent.

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ
I'm glad Bill has undertaken this project for the many FGT owners on the left coast. It is a difficult, but straight forward project. I'm sure he'll get to installing the ducting and modifying the inner fender liners in his treatise. I had it installed on my gal by the GT Guy (Rich and Dennis) in Scottsdale at Chip's house last year prior to Rally IV. Rocketman (Ron) has also had the brake ducting installed.

The only non-functional parts on the Ford GT are these duct inlets, and they were originally intended to be functional. They were not installed due to insufficient time to redesign the AC line in order to meet the car's committed launch date. Shadowman, & Rich and Dennis (GT Guy) have corrected this error, and allow our gals to achieve their original intent.

So, what your saying is ... you are very happy with this performance mod.

Well ... how do your brakes work now? Testimony please.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
So, what your saying is ... you are very happy with this performance mod.

Well ... how do your brakes work now? Testimony please.

I can only state that at Texas World Speedway, I experienced no braking fade running full sessions trying to chase down Ron (Rocketman) and Kevin (KJRGT) and that racing Corvette (almost did catch him). Wish I could catch them. I'm truly happy with the brakes, and feel that my gal is now built as the team originally intended - brake ducts, Gurney bubble, FRPP pulley upgrade and FRPP (Borla) Rear Exit Headers (open exhaust). I'm a happy camper! :biggrin

:cheers

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
Great thread, that is a very cool project executed with precision. :thumbsup

Aug 25, 2006
UPDATE

So several have asked; how long does it take to which in my world I say “until it is completed”

Here are a few more pictures as the primary pieces were tended to at the machine shop and now are once were dry fit to confirm that we have no issues before the final phases commence.

Now that the primary front ducts have been completed we will complete the closure panels and then have everything powder coated in preparation of the final assembly.

We gave great thought to the method that was used by Ford to secure the ducts in the fascia and in the end felt that the method; which for those of you that do not know amounts to 4 extremely small and short self tapping plastic screws. As the result of this we decided to bore holes and then install brass threaded inserts so that #6 machine screws could be used thus insuring a properly secured part that will weather the test of time and also remain easy to service whereas the self tapping screws were really designed as a one use process.

These aluminum duct back plates were created in CAD and then the associated software was loaded into the Strippit machine aka a CNC nibbler to create them. Once completed then we placed the duct backing plates and the associated tubing in the jigs as created by the original mockup pieces to create the exacting first run pieces.

Now in order to create exacting results and able to duplicate the process for installing the brass inserts a drilling fixture was created and a special cut drill bit and bottom tap.

The 1st picture shows the CAD drawing that was created and then as a software program it was input into the Strippit machine for the cutting of the back plates

The 2nd picture shows the brass threaded inserts installed

The 3rd picture is of the drilling fixture as created and used to replicate the placement of the brass threaded inserts

The 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th pictures are of the air duct completed and now read to be powder coated

The 8th, 9th, and 10th pictures are of the OEM duct secured back in the OEM fascia during the final dry fitting process.

Takes care

Shadowman

Attachments

• DSC01499.JPG
    DSC01499.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 283
  • DSC01501.JPG
    DSC01501.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 282
  • DSC01503.JPG
    DSC01503.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 279
  • DSC01504.JPG
    DSC01504.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 275
  • DSC01507.JPG
    DSC01507.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:
Aug 25, 2006
The remaing pictures as associated with the previous reply

Shadowman

Attachments

• DSC01506.JPG
    DSC01506.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 283
  • DSC01505.JPG
    DSC01505.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 279
  • DSC01513.JPG
    DSC01513.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 278
  • DSC01521.JPG
    DSC01521.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 284
  • DSC01527.JPG
    DSC01527.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
WOW! Bill you are an artist and the FGT is your canvas! :thumbsup

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I'm guessing the pipe has not been trimmed on the RED car fascia? It won't stick out that far, will it?

Aug 25, 2006
I'm guessing the pipe has not been trimmed on the RED car fascia? It won't stick out that far, will it?

Thank you for your comment.

The pipe has been cut however the air duct opening as located in the front fascia is not fully secured or aligned as it all had to be removed one last time so the pieces can be powder coated as such the picture is skewed.

I am sharing the events as they unfold rather than only the completed project.

FYI the OEM plastic air duct openings located within the fascia will be/are located as if OEM.

All the best

Shadowman

Aug 25, 2006
UPDATE and a few comments

Now that all of the primary ducting pieces have been fabricated and the fit was confirmed thorough the process of reinstalling the gal’s noses their noses have been removed once again for what is expected to be the last time.

We have now fully defined the closure panel system and are fabricating it this week so that once completed the bits and pieces can migrate to the painter and or the powder coater and then once received back final assembly can commence.

At this time since we have completed the front portion of the system it is all about the details; the fans have been outfitted with wonderful 2 pin multi-seal Deutsch connectors from which the ground will be associated with the OEM grounding point at the front of the frame rails and the power will come from within the SJB box area. A custom cross over wiring harness that will associate both fans to a common power point is being completed that will be sheathed as if OEM and then reside along existing OEM harnesses so as to appear as if OEM and then within the SJB area a solo relay protected by a fuse will be used to carry to the operational load of the fans and at the same time allow for a small non load bearing switch to be used.

Once the details within her nose have been completed then the custom coupler will be created which will be located within the front portion of the inner fender liner. This will be an OEM appearing transition that will bring the air from behind the inner fender liner and to the steering knuckle so as to insure the maximum air flow at the inner portion of the rotors.

Some have asked why such a methodical almost puzzle like approach to which I say; IMO this is the only way to insure that once completed it appears integrated and as a solo system when compared to a patchwork quilt. Even though the project from stem to stern was extremely well thought out before it began there have still been many opportunities presented along the way that IMO needed to be tended to and they were/are rather than simply tolerated; the greatest single issue is being able to create a system that integrates with all that was there before me and that once in place this system appears that it belongs and that it is relatively easy to service both this system and those OEM systems previously in place.

Far too often people install overlaying system with no such consideration as such the future for those that have to tend to those gals can be daunting; I know this from personal experience as such I make certain that I do not create such a situation.

Let me say at this point; the idea of placing some tubing randomly from point A to point B through an opening and setting it in place is “easy” when compared to integrating a system that appears and operates as if OEM. Now this is not to say that simply putting tubing in place would not mechanically serve the purpose of directing air to the desired location as it is done in this manner all the time on purpose built race cars.

Takes care

Shadowman

Attachments

• DSC01536.JPG
    DSC01536.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 212
  • DSC01534.JPG
    DSC01534.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 216
  • DSC01563.JPG
    DSC01563.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 213

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ
This is unbelievable. I look forward to the finished set up.

WOW!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
OK, one more, maybe stupid non-engineer question. Would it not be better, or maybe acceptable, for the air tubing to reduce in size from the front vent to the rotors. This seems to me that it would "speed up" and increase the airflow (Bernoulli principle)?

Aug 25, 2006
OK, one more, maybe stupid non-engineer question. Would it not be better, or maybe acceptable, for the air tubing to reduce in size from the front vent to the rotors. This seems to me that it would "speed up" and increase the airflow (Bernoulli principle)?

No stupid questions

I suspect that in the perfect world and unlimited space that such a layout could be considered however before doing so the value of higher air velocity would have to be of greater benefit when compared to more air flow. The funnel affect would likely reduce the gross volume of air that contacts the rotors during a given period of time.

A similar situation occurs with a radiator; there is a balancing act of sorts between how much/rapidly the fluid is made to flow versus how long the fluid is able to remain in contact with the core. Flow is important and yet heat is drawn from the fluid through the process of contact.

In the case of this system there will be combination of things that take place; pressure at the nose and a modest vacuum at the center point of the rotor as such air flow should be very nice.

Then when at slow speeds or in the pits the electric fans will become the means to keeps the air flowing.

Again no stupid questions and sadly often times no solo answer.

Takes care and thank you for reviewing the project

Shadowman