Ray(Peak Completions) is flying with the angels

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
I've just gone through all of the posts and links and am just in shock. Condolences to the family. He was just such a great guy. I loved everything he did whether on the ground or in the air. RIP Ray

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Unbelievably shocking and sad news.. Ray was a great guy who had passion for many things and was able to do many things that we all could admire and appreciate.
What a colorful, good , fun and sharing guy. God speed Ray... my sincere condolences to the family.. Ray was a GT Hero.. We need a GT " Fallen Hero" Section" For Bony , Ray and other GT members we have lost...

Last edited:

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Oh Lord.
Give comfort and strength to Janna, their boys and all of Ray's family and friends.
Warbirds today are for the rarified air and flown by men of equally outstanding talents and character.
Ray we will rejoice with you again in your new home.
Kevin and Terry.

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
So very very very sad to hear.

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
I did not have the honor of meeting Ray or his family but I have been reading what you all have posted in regards to condolences and links. Gods grace to him and blessings to his wife and young family. Tragic.

Vince H

GGPatterson

GT Owner
Aug 19, 2011
Midland, TX
Here is a nice piece our local news did on Ray. I live across the street from the school Ray's boys go to, it was very tough driving home from work today and seeing the flags at half mast in honor of him. He will truly be missed.

http://www.newswest9.com/story/2477...art=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=9860615

Magic

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 13, 2010
Fredericksburg, TX
Very sad news. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his wife and sons during this trying time!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Unbelievably shocking and sad news.. Ray was a great guy who had passion for many things and was able to do many things that we all could admire and appreciate.
What a colorful, good , fun and sharing guy. God speed Ray... my sincere condolences to the family.. Ray was a GT Hero.. We need a GT " Fallen Hero" Section" For Bony , Ray and other GT members we have lost...
+1

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Heartbreaking... What a tremendous guy, generous, kind, humble and talented beyond measure. He had so much to be here for and so much left to do! There are no words to adequately convey the feelings. Peace will be with him, all the mysteries are his to explore. He is a great example of a life well lived, deeply loved and admired by so many, for so many different reason. I hope his wife and son know that our connection to Ray is a connection to them as well.

I know that I was inspired by Ray.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Enjoyed life to the max, Rest in peace.
GTJOEY1314

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Sad times. Never met him, but we exchanged a few emails about warbirds. His passion for challenge on all levels was deep. Our thoughts are with his wife and family.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
I did not know him but it's truly a sad day here anytime we lose someone - my thoughts are with his family.

topshot

GT Owner
Feb 6, 2012
Metro Detroit, MIchigan
very sad day, I met him briefly twice, true class gentleman,,, he will be missed...

Midnite Blu

GT Owner #755
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
Southern California
God bless Ray and the family.

Matech GT1

GT Owner
Apr 2, 2009
London
I know I've already written once, but it still has not sunk in for me. While it's been three and a half years since I last saw Ray and his family, he had a profound impact on me, just like my other friend, Martin Bartek. After the FGT rally where we handed over Ray's Matech GT1 car, we were working hard to try and sell the business and raise sponsorship. Please don't under estimate the word 'hard'...when I meet some of you again I'll tell you the full story of what was going on. Anyway, Ray, being Ray, said he'd like to help out as much as he can and arrange for us to meet up with some of his friends and business associates who might be interested.

Martin and I were both due to leave the USA for Europe that afternoon. With Mitch Clark's (Ray's good friend and also at the rally) help, our flights miraculously got forgotten about and rearranged for an open ticket home - don't quite know how that works lol. Then Ray said let's go back to my place and figure this out. Me being new to the USA had no idea what this actually meant or where his place was. So we drive through the private gates at the airport, I literally leave the keys to the rental car on the passenger seat and leave. Martin and I met Chip at Ray's jet and together we all took off heading for some place called Midland in Texas. Er ok. Chip was his usual (now that I know him better) self, and started the cocktails as we were going down the runway. I was sat in a private jet, thinking I'm a rock star, and Ray was busy talking with Martin about what can be done.

Ray's wisdom, kindness and generosity were boundless. Martin and I stayed at Ray and Mitch's houses, and we were instantly welcomed as part of the family. I was pretty much speechless the whole time, as I was so overwhelmed by their kindness. Next morning, on the Sunday, we all flew to Salt Lake City for a meeting at the airport with a potential investor, but alas it came to nothing, as Matech's business was just too risky to invest in....long story. So Ray and Mitch said ok let's go watch the racing at Miller Motorsports, and as if by magic a rental car appears and off we went. After a couple of hours, Ray says 'ok what do you want to do next?' Mitch>'How about a show in Vegas?' Ray>'Great idea...Mitch make some phone calls please'

This was all happening at Ray's usual 200 mph full of enthusiasm and I got swept along in the excitement. I had no idea how far away Vegas was, or how long it would take...but off we went. Longest limo in the world took us swiftly out the gates to the Bellagio, and into Cirque du Soleil 'O', best seats in the house, of course. Afterwards, Ray handed me some dollars and said go play some roulette. It was a blur of excitement and adrenaline. Everything lost, and he never stopped smiling his big smile. Dinner then back to the airport to fly home. Martin then returned to Switzerland, while I remained working on various presentation and business plans to see a way forward for Matech. Ray had me over for Kobe beef on his BBQ, taught me how to play Texas hold'em with his family and friends, took me shooting at the range, a evening of teppanyaki, and with Mitch, his wife Kathy, and Janna showed me the most amazing few days. Ray then took me to work with him behind the scenes at the Commemorative Air Force, loading up explosives and bags of diesel fuel for the staged explosions in the flying displays, then to stay in field and photograph. Everybody loved Ray, and he seemed to love everybody back.

Clearly, for me it's an experience I will never, ever forget. It has been an honour and a privilege to have spent even just a short time with Ray and his lovely family.

Below is a photo taken at the Bellagio when we saw 'O'. Happy memories of the time, but very sad now that two of my friends are no longer here.
God speed Ray, and may you Rest in Peace. All my love and thoughts to your family.
Steven.

Ray, Martin_1.jpg

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Ray was a great friend, and a great person. When he bought his first yellow GT, he and Janna drove all day to get it with his own single car trailer. Several years later, he ended up with a warehouse full. He was never afraid to push the limit with any of them. That first yellow GT won the Car and Driver 0-200-0 challenge easily, despite being politely dismissed by those in attendance. The first and only standing mile run it made at Oscoda after easily dispatching the competition, it went 218 mph. That seemed hard to believe, but only a few years later, it quickly broke 250 miles an hour. That yellow car and Ray's passion for it helped keep Ford GT in the spotlight years after it had stopped being produced. I recall Tom Reichenbach saying that Ray's initial efforts had proven that the Ford GT was the platform of choice for those in the pursuit of extreme speed.

He showed up at the Ford GT Rally and various other events over the years in any number of incredible GTs. He brought a twin turbo Heritage car to Rally 3 in Las Vegas. He brought what is likely the most sinister looking GT on the planet, the fully painted matte black GT, to Rally 4 in Texas. Such was his commitment to detail that he had the car completely stripped and the frame redone in a darker gray to better suit the exterior, and of course the motor made around 1400 rwhp. At Utah Fast Pass, he clearly wanted to just "take it easy" and showed up in a red pulley/tune car with rear exit headers.

His combined love of Ford GT and racing also made him the obvious choice as steward of the Matech GT1 prototype when Martin Bartek decided to sell it. Ray took possession of the car and brought it to R5 at VIR for all to see. He let Thomas Mutsch run the car at an unbelievable pace on a dreary rain-soaked day, producing enormous rooster tails while we all watched in awe. A few days later, Ray himself put the car through its paces around VIR, and as one of the recipients of a ride along, it was a real thrill. Ray's passion would see him fly Martin around the country in pursuit of financial backing to keep the Matech GT team going, and eventually embark on producing his own GT1 and GT3 styled Ford GT for the street, which he would bring to share with everyone at Rally 7.

These GT anecdotes are a microcosm of the way Ray approached everything. Much like Bony, he seemingly had no time for sleep, and would craft a quick 2,500 word email to fire off at 3AM about one of his many ongoing projects. Whether it was cars or planes or photography or his business, Ray went all the way, and he generously brought along many people for the ride. Ford GT meant a lot to him and he certainly meant a great deal to the Ford GT community. He can never be replaced and I am grateful for all the times we spent together.

Ultimately, it's all meaningless compared to what Ray meant to his family and his family meant to him. He was such a great father and was so committed to his kids. Janna and his 4 sons are enduring a loss that is hard to fathom. It is frustrating and maddening and difficult to accept. Despite having lived enough for 10 lifetimes, Ray was only 38 years old. But Janna is strong and intelligent and will be surrounded eternally by people who love her and the kids and wish to honor their friend. Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers.

Ray died doing what he loved, and we will miss him always.

See you on the other side bud.

12660947425_f472ff7330_b.jpg

12660942105_1d87affef8_b.jpg

12661425644_fbd70fb1f8_b.jpg

12661091633_eaa716fcc0_b.jpg

12660964555_27196b1556_b.jpg

12661434534_dea43f2c4b_b.jpg

12661398763_df0531a14b_b.jpg

12660941875_0321844225_b.jpg

I wish this wasn't blurry, but maybe that's appropriate. Bony, Ray, Tomy and I.
12661075933_e0b67a7692_b.jpg

8077704968_29e31a87a6_b.jpg

8077722000_fdc40cd4f0_b.jpg

12660946695_c5d036aea1_o.jpg

12660972095_8a7ac79767_b.jpg

3309912_G.jpg

Reactions: tpraceman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
south FL
It is with great sadness that I read this post. May he rest in peace. Prayers for Janna, the children and his family

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Two heartfelt tributes and great pictures for us to remember Ray by. Thank you Steven and Dave.

Ray was truly a unique individual, and we are all privileged to have known him. A great loss to all of us.

Sincere condolences to his wife, sons and family.

FordGT4fun

I can´t believe it, when i logged in i saw Ray (peakcompletion) and said wow Ray got a new car or made a great performance and than this sad announcement. I never had the pleasure of meeting him, but thanks to this forum i felt i knew him quite good. I remember when he broke the speed record with his TT GT on the standing mile 267mph. just 2 days before my birthday. Reading all his postings is like feeling with him and he really make me dream when he presented a new car for his stable. Not long ago last month i watched a video from the Rally in Virginia where he brought the Matech GT which reminds me the time at Le Mans 2010. One of my favorite thread was the 4 july commemoration, the formation flight together with Chip with all this beautiful warbirds. we all will miss him. All my thoughts and prayers to his wife and children , Rest in Peace Ray
Thanks Dave and Steven for the hommage.

Pierre

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
Never had the chance to meet him but he drove a yellow/black GT so he musta been a helluva guy. :)