Rally 12 Track Day Tip #3

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Tip #1 – Bleed your brakes.
Tip #2 – Flags, their meaning and track terminology

On hind sight perhaps I should have commented about tires in the first track tip as it seems getting a fresh set of Bridgestones (at least the Potenza's 050A Scuderia 345/35R19 110Y rear tires) is a bit problematic for some wanting a new set of tires for our track event. There have been a number of discussions on our Fourm as to the newer go-to Bridgestones over the OE Goodyear’s. In its day the Goodyear’s were a good all around tire which the GT engineering team worked with Goodyear through MANY iterations to get to the final OE tire configuration. Mr. McGowan still believes they are the best tire in the wet so for you cross country drivers driving through rain on your way to the rally they are still held in high regard by some. But in the dry, the Bridgestones are superior.

Before heading to the track, look over your tires carefully. UMC is a big track with long straights enabling the GT’s to stretch their legs. Both the Goodyear and Bridgestone tires in the FGT sizes are “speed rated” tires. The Goodyear’s are (88Y) front and (103Y) rears while the Bridgestones are (101Y) front and (110Y) rear. The number in the parenthesis is the tire load index and indicates the Bridgestones are able to carry slightly higher loads per tire relative to the Goodyears. The important factor here is the (xxxY) in the rating. The “Y” in the parenthesis indicates that that specific tire has a speed rating from the manufacturer in excess of 186 mph (300 Km/h). So both the Goodyears and Bridgestones had high speed capability when new. It is not known how this capability changes over time. You must be the judge. It is unlikely the 05-06 GT’s will get anywhere near the 186 mph mark but it will probably be in the high 150’s for the advanced drivers. And probably higher than that for Nick in his 2017 with Michelin Sport Cup 2 tires. Look your tires over, know when they were made (the manufacture date code is molded into the side wall) and just drive within your comfort limits.

Now let’s answer some general information questions regarding the track format –

1. What time will the track be open for participants to show up? 7:00 AM. Understand it will take a little over an hour to drive from the Park City accommodations to the track. There is an early function planned for the GT group on Thursday evening but it is not a late night event (unless the beer/drinks/stories start flowing back at the hotel). Plan accordingly. The mandatory drivers meeting will be held at 7:30 AM sharp so we can get out on the track when it goes hot. Car numbers allowing track entrance for each of the three driver run groups will be distributed to the attendees following the meeting. If you do not make it to the drivers meeting you will not get car credentials to drive on the track. This mandatory meeting is no different than any other track event.

2. What time will the corner workers be at their stations and the track goes hot? Track is hot at 8:00 AM (no earlier due to noise restrictions) The first 20 minute session will be all run groups on the track to warm up and learn the track corners, where the corner workers are located and get comfortable in the track driving mode. It will be a standing yellow flag session and there will be no passing allowed. No formal lead/follow although it might be prudent to pick out an experienced driver and follow him/her. Each run group will have 30 minute sessions on a rotating basis starting at 8:30 AM up till lunch at noon.

3. There will be a “track out” person checking credentials and releasing cars onto the hot track. For the first time out on the track, this individual will collect the driver’s self-certifying tech sheets each driver will fill out regarding the condition of his vehicle. This form will be posted on the Forum prior to the event for drivers to download, print, sign and bring with them to the track event.

4. What time will the track go cold for lunch time and what time will it again go hot after lunch? 12:00 - 1:00 PM

5. What time will afternoon track hot time end? 5:00 PM.

6. What time do all participants have to leave the grounds? Doesn’t matter. They can sleep in their car if they want.

7. Due to the low humidity and high ambient temperatures at the track, driver hydration is a concern. Event coordinators will make available bottled water for the participants. It is important to drink water frequently.

8. Where are the bathrooms located? There are bathrooms basically everywhere. Both ends of the tower, the garages, the main entrance building, the ticket office, the kart center, the east and west garages…

9. Where will the group assemble for the early morning drivers meeting? Classroom space is in the main Grand Prix Tower upstairs. When arriving for the drivers meeting, please move spritely from the parking area to the upstairs classroom for the meeting. 7:30 sharp.

10. Will a UMC track representative be at the meeting to discuss track policies and flags? Yes.

11. What helmet policy is in effect? Helmets need to be SA2005 or newer. No motorcycle helmets are allowed. They must be “SA” helmets. UMP will have SA2005 helmets for rent for $20/day, but they are old and not great. How much is your head worth? New SA2015 helmets can be purchased for less than $300.

12. What driving attire is required of the drivers? Long pants, close toed shoes, short sleeved shirts are acceptable as are driver suits.

13. Are in-car fire extinguishers required? No.

14. Is fuel available for purchase on the grounds? And if so what octanes are available. Yes. 91, 98 and 100 octane unleaded. 110 octane leaded is available at the track.

15. Will Ford Performance supply any instructors to ride along with Novice drivers to help ease them into high performance driving? No. Novice drivers are encouraged to pair up with a willing Advanced Forum driver for coaching if they desire.

16. Will there be any track cars (FR500, Boss 302, etc.) to rent for owners who attend the rally and do not have their cars? No.

17. Will entrants have to fill in and sign a Tech Sheet certifying their car has passed a mechanical review. (Tires and brake fluid). Yes, collected by pit out worker on the first track session.

18. Can you purchase Track insurance? Yes. Talk to Ben Phillips (843-324-9599) www.theopentrack.com. Otherwise participants are 100% responsible for their own car.

19. What driver group(s) will be allowed to take passengers out on the track during that group’s time slot? Advanced and Intermediate level drivers are allowed to take passengers on the track with appropriate helmets. Novice drivers cannot take passengers for track rides. The only riders allowed with Novice drivers are identified Advance or Instructor drivers.

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
20. Will there be a selection of GT350Rs available at the track for purchase at MSRP with a track day of instruction and Reliable transport included?

Good stuff here Bill. Thank you. Even if the answer to 20 is "no."

Last edited:

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
Thanks for the Tips!

For those running Bridgestone tires. What is the recommended cold tire pressure front and rear? Knowing that we will be driving to the track the tires will have temp prior to going on the track.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Closed toe shoes that tie. Loafers may fall off

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Where is the queue for NGT and race car driver rides?

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Thanks again Indy! Great info!

Thanks for the Tips!

For those running Bridgestone tires. What is the recommended cold tire pressure front and rear? Knowing that we will be driving to the track the tires will have temp prior to going on the track.

I would like to know this too. Just slapped on a brand new set of the 'stones, a pulley and tune and Ford Racing muffler. Brake lines bled successfully.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Wrong..... Nothing wrong with loafers

Closed toe shoes that tie. Loafers may fall off

[video]https://youtu.be/8By2AEsGAhU[/video]

Darn why didn't it imbed ?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Loafers may fall off

Personal bar stool experience?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Also when changing tires, torque lugs. Re check after driving, or the 1st session. I'll have a tourque wrench at the track, and a digital pressure gauge if anyone needs either.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You wise acres couldn't resist.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I'm fairly sure I'm first in line to ride with Petunia as I have arranged Dr Frank to buy all his drinks for the Rally!

Ed

Beez

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 28, 2016
South Denver
15. Will Ford Performance supply any instructors to ride along with Novice drivers to help ease them into high performance driving? No. Novice drivers are encouraged to pair up with a willing Advanced Forum driver for coaching if they desire.

I had to cancel my pre-Rally track instruction here at home, and am a novice. I'd think that the Advanced Forum drivers would rather be spending their track time driving their own cars, than coaching me. But for anyone that may be willing, please give me a holler.

Alternatively, does anyone think there might be a way to hire my own instructor through UMC?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I had to cancel my pre-Rally track instruction here at home, and am a novice. I'd think that the Advanced Forum drivers would rather be spending their track time driving their own cars, than coaching me. But for anyone that may be willing, please give me a holler.

Alternatively, does anyone think there might be a way to hire my own instructor through UMC?

There were plenty of folks willing to do a ride along. You will also get a lead/follow session to familiarize you with the track.

Regardless, I highly encourage you to sign up for one of the high performance driving classes. I've done Bondurant in Phoenix three times, but there are classes at UMC, and at Spring Mountain near Vegas.

I see you are in the Denver area, so a little hint of how I got my classes: If you are able to attend the Shelby American Collection fundraiser in early September, Bondurant has so far always had a class on the silent auction. I've gotten my class for about 1/2 price each time (and the donation to the Shelby museum). The class is usually the two day class which can be upgraded to the 4 day class. Then later you can get the advanced class. You can drive your own car in the advanced class but they recommend only doing so for 1/2 day since you'll go through a set of tires and brakes. Also, Phoenix in February is a nice break from the bitter cold that happens around stock show time.

Another thing about Bondurant is that when I took the courses they used Corvettes. They have since changed to Dodge (Vipers in the advanced). Fellows (Spring Mountain) is still Corvettes, and UMC uses Fords. UMC is the place where GT350 owners get their course. Is Ford doing a class there for NGT owners?

Last edited:

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I will be available to instruct at the rally

Beez

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 28, 2016
South Denver
There were plenty of folks willing to do a ride along. You will also get a lead/follow session to familiarize you with the track.

Sounds real good!

Awesome - thanks and pencil me in:biggrin

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Pencil me in also, Thanks.

Mike Mosing

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 9, 2009
Florisiana

Roketman will not only teach you how to cut corners, but you will learn how to cut meat in the same lesson. Sign up. Drive up. Eat up.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I have some experience in a race car
I have been instructing since 1992!

Attachments

• IMG_1361.jpg
    IMG_1361.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_1357.jpg
    IMG_1357.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 97

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN

Unfortunately only partially correct. Twobjshelbys is not attending the R12 event and does not know the track or event schedule.
We will not be doing any “lead-follow” session at UMC this year. There will be a brief morning session for all drivers to drive on the track in a no-passing environment to warm up their car brakes, tires and drivers head.

There are a number of advanced level drivers who are happy to volunteer their coaching skills in a ride along capacity to the new drivers during the novice sessions. This will be discussed at the drivers meeting and pairings made.

Beez, I think this is unlikely (but not impossible). You may just have to explore this when you arrive at UMC.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Unfortunately only partially correct. Twobjshelbys is not attending the R12 event and does not know the track or event schedule.
We will not be doing any “lead-follow” session at UMC this year. There will be a brief morning session for all drivers to drive on the track in a no-passing environment to warm up their car brakes, tires and drivers head.

Yes, my observation was based on the experience at R9. Sorry.