Rally 11 - COTA

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 8, 2006
Austin Texas
I took my GT to my local Ford dealer (Covert Ford) yesterday and had them replace every fluid in the car plus install a new battery, a Ford Racing transmission cooler and perform a state inspection. I am officially ready for Rally 11. Although my fuel gauge is not working. I am looking forward to meeting you guys. Can't wait! I chose a poor screen name that I will have to live with so for all of you that have never met me (which is everyone) my name is Chris. See you soon in Austin (my hometown) and maybe some of you in Pebble Beach.

Chris

How in the heck did you get a state inspection at Covert if your fuel gauge is out? (which actuates the check engine light?)

I've been wrestling with them for months trying to get inspected. They can't order me a fuel gauge or a fuel sending unit without current registration and I can't get registered without a valid inspection and I can't get that with a bad fuel gauge? (which actuates the check engine light?)

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
How in the heck did you get a state inspection at Covert if your fuel gauge is out? (which actuates the check engine light?)

I've been wrestling with them for months trying to get inspected. They can't order me a fuel gauge or a fuel sending unit without current registration and I can't get registered without a valid inspection and I can't get that with a bad fuel gauge? (which actuates the check engine light?)

I guess I was lucky. My fuel gauge is stuck at 3/4 of a tank and my check engine light never came on, so it passed. On the advice of Dr Frank, I called Autometer directly and told them I need a fuel gauge for a 2005 Ford GT. They connected me to their OEM sales guy and he took my order. The price is $225 and it takes them five days to make it. My new gauge should be here next week in time for the rally. The Ford parts department told me the retail price for the gauge was $1,400 and my cost was $1,000, so going direct to Autometer is way cheaper. If that doesn't work for you, we can use my registration and get you a gauge from Ford. PM me if you want to go that route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
P.S. The fuel tank sending unit is obsolete and is no longer available.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Finally.

a869d09b0bb4058e09d4bf175271c9ad.jpg

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
kinda looks like a small stash from a drug cartel :)

Last edited:

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Looks like one EXPENSIVE pile of paper and plastic.....

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Sweet! I can see mine on top! (Or not) Hahaha!

Vince H

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX

Do you need me do anything for you and/or the rally peeps before you get here? Just let me know.

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
Beautiful--can't wait!!!

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit

where's the briefcase?

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007

dave, you in austin already?

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
You're the man Dave. I don't know how you've kept up with all the activities you've had planned this year and the NFGT announcements . You've been busy. Thank you.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
The "LoneStar Lemans" embossment on our tickets looks just like Special Ed's car sticker!:biggrin

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV

Woo Hoo - Can't wait! :thumbsup

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 8, 2006
Austin Texas
P.S. The fuel tank sending unit is obsolete and is no longer available.

Thanks for your input. I dropped it off this morning and they are doing the airbag recall (I know, I know), oil change and brake pads, plus he said he would inspect it. I asked Gene about you before I knew your gauge was stuck and no check engine light. He said he will handle it. If not I have a plan B so I will have my car road worthy and legal next week!

What did you do about the unavailable, obsolete fuel sending unit?

(Sorry for the highjack) :wink

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
The sending unit is ultrasonic and not prone to failure. It sits inside the tank.

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
The sending unit is ultrasonic and not prone to failure. It sits inside the tank.

What Frank said. Everyone I have talked to thinks in my situation it is the gauge. I am replacing the gauge first and hopefully that will fix the problem.

Rick Mustang

GT Owner
Mar 29, 2016
Central Texas
Sent a PM on the hospitality passes. Rick

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Our journey has begun. He is coming for you next Bill!

Attachments

• IMG_20160908_113656689.jpg
    IMG_20160908_113656689.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 154

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
My 11 mile journey from my house to the JW Marriot will begin next week