quality of GTX1

gtnyc

Mar 1, 2008
I know the company is having some issues but thats not what I am interested in. There is a completed 500 mile GTx1 I know of for sale and I wanted some feedback from any GTX1 owners of the quality of the car. Are people happy with this product and should they hold value as well or better than a stock Ford GT ?

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
The Genaddi work on mine was excellent. The GT Guys could provide you a peace-of-mind inspection and evaluation of the car you are considering. Supply and demand will dictate future value of the GT and GTX1. If you decide not to pursue the purchase, please PM me. :cheers

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Oh Kirby, what do you have in mind now? You need a RED one!

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
So there are 159 views of this thread and as of now, 4 posts... OH GREAT Moderator.... are we allowed to respond as long as we stay off of the current situation?
I have normal opinions to this question that the gentleman asks but want to get your blessing before I start typing..

Waiting your response..:cheers

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Dear Tim!
Feel free to post on topic...
I would hate to have to show you how hard an old mule can kick... :)
OK? By the way, nice pics of the family!!
Cheers,
daniel

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I know the company is having some issues but thats not what I am interested in. There is a completed 500 mile GTx1 I know of for sale and I wanted some feedback from any GTX1 owners of the quality of the car. Are people happy with this product and should they hold value as well or better than a stock Ford GT ?

Any previously owned FGT or GTX should be carefully PPI'd by a qualified
expert. Contact THE GT GUYS or THE GT TECH... better safe than sorry.

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
I type from the gut... giving a GUT response..... I say the GTX will stay as equal to the market of the GT.... but in moderation.... meaning... yes, only a select few have them because there are a select few who want them...

If you are thinking resale in the future in regards to investment.... hmmmm.... there are more qualified guys here to answer that but once again from the gut....... I think it will equal the GT but you will have considerably less individuals to re-sell it too.

There are 64 GTX 1's and 3,974 GT's in the world.... so lets say for giggles that there where 3 x's the people wanting/could afford the GT.. that would be 11,922 people wanting and affording the GT

Now lets apply that to the GTX 1 ... 3x's the people would be 192 people wanting/affording the GTX1 I honestly think the PERCENTAGE of people wanting the GTX 1 is less than that of the GT.... not because of quality but because of simply WANT..

In closing.... buy what you want.. you're the one that knows if you're a GTX 1 guy or a GT guy... as far as quality of craftmans ship.... look at the car and make the judgement yourself..... their are many different opinions here in regards to that..

Research the "fixes" that need to be done.. etc... brakes.. find out if the recall has been done and know the expense on maintenance and repair your GTX 1

Good Luck

there... the ice has been broken... so hopefully the more qualified guys will chime in now

be nice

I love this FORUM

kjslider

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 1, 2006
socal
Regarding the X's holding their value I have no good idea.

I would post comments regarding the quality BUT I would think most people would, and probably should, discount my opinion because I have been and remain critical of the guy that has made them.

I would also welcome anybody non biased (and not a X owner) to come and inspect my car and give a review.

There were different people building these cars and I do believe the overall quality varies.

Despite my horrible experience dealing with GDG, and the engineering/quality short comings, I love the roadster and do not anticipate ever selling. In fact, if Kip balled up:wink and decided to start building the cars he in fact designed I would get another. It remains my(as well as my two sons) favorite street cruiser.

-Kent

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
There were different people building these cars and I do believe the overall quality varies.

This was my view too after taking a look at several of them at Rally2. Ah, the merits of a hand-built car! BONY provides good advice - have a knowledgeable source take a look at it for you!

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Regarding the X's holding their value I have no good idea.

I would post comments regarding the quality BUT I would think most people would, and probably should, discount my opinion because I have been and remain critical of the guy that has made them.

I would also welcome anybody non biased (and not a X owner) to come and inspect my car and give a review.

Despite my horrible experience dealing with GDG, and the engineering/quality short comings, I love the roadster and do not anticipate ever selling. In fact, if Kip balled up:wink and decided to start building the cars he in fact designed I would get another. It remains my(as well as my two sons) favorite street cruiser.

-Kent

Kent's
reply is spot on:thumbsup
Cheers,
bony the censor:wink

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
only a select few have them because there are a select few who want them...

There are 64 GTX 1's and 3,974 GT's in the world.... so lets say for giggles that there where 3 x's the people wanting/could afford the GT.. that would be 11,922 people wanting and affording the GT

Now lets apply that to the GTX 1 ... 3x's the people would be 192 people wanting/affording the GTX1 I honestly think the PERCENTAGE of people wanting the GTX 1 is less than that of the GT.... not because of quality but because of simply WANT..

Research the "fixes" that need to be done.. etc... brakes.. find out if the recall has been done and know the expense on maintenance and repair your GTX 1

STUNTS, I respect your opinion but IMO your logic is considerably flawed. No car has ever exceeded my expectations as much as the GTX1, and when it's in a crowd, it's an automotive rock star. Although the more heavily optioned X1's have more that could potentially go wrong, the maintenance and repair on a basic X1 conversion is exactly identical to that of a GT. :cheers

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I generally agree with STUNTS. Since I believe he is talking about a combination of desirability PLUS affordability. There are simply less buyers at the top of any market. It doesn't mean that most of the enthusiasts wouldn't want it, but not everyone can afford it. Plus, some people are simply not aware of the Ford GT. Think about how fewer people are aware of the GTX-1.

If you were to ask Mustang GT coupe owner, would they take a convertible Ford GT500 at the same price, a vast majority would. They would see the additional value and worth. Sure, some would still want a coupe GT, just as some would still want a factory Ford GT, over a GTX-1. Obviously, a GTX-1 is a much greater and complex conversion than a factory Mustang GT vs. GT500, but this is for illustration purposes only. If you want, swap Ford GT for GT500, and know that some people would still want (and be able to afford) the base Mustang GT.

If you consider that in today's market, a GTX-1 likely costs more than a Ford GT, it has a higher entry point price to uphold as well as less people that can afford it now, and in the future. Assuming equality, the same percentage decline, will lead to a greater reduction in dollars.

All speculation of course, I definitely don't know what will happen.

The important thing is to buy the one that you want and admire and enjoy it. If you are buying something to please a future potential buyer, what's the point? Unless, it is your livelihood...

MK2_GT

GTX1 Owner
Mar 25, 2006
Well the quality on my GTX1 is top notch and has been looked at at car shows and gatherings (by many critical eyes) from coast to coast. An article on my vehicle appears in the latest issue of Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords magazine. They had it for an entire day and the review was amazing.

I have a highly optioned version (#005) and have been offered much more money than it cost me to build it. I have decided not to sell since I will never see another like it again.

What you have to be the most aware of is the lack of roof on most GTX1s , while there are some soft roofs and hard roofs floating around, most are complete roadsters. If you have an opportunity at one with a fitted roof, it will be an even better buy.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Perhaps a Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona Coupe vs. 365 GTB/4 Ferrari Daytona Coupe that had it's top removed (Straman) vs. a Ferrari 365 GTS/4 Spyder would be a litmus test to use regarding desirability and price down the road.

I can't think of another supercar that you could use for comparison sake. This I believe is still kinda apples vs. oranges, though worthy of analysis regarding the original question posed.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
The important thing is to buy the one that you want and admire and enjoy it. If you are buying something to please a future potential buyer, what's the point? Unless, it is your livelihood...

+1 :thumbsup

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
I would definitely have the GT guys look it over. I always planned on them doing a once over on my X1's. They currently have the one pictured in my Avatar.

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Perhaps a Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona Coupe vs. 365 GTB/4 Ferrari Daytona Coupe that had it's top removed (Straman) vs. a Ferrari 365 GTS/4 Spyder would be a litmus test to use regarding desirability and price down the road.

I can't think of another supercar that you could use for comparison sake. This I believe is still kinda apples vs. oranges, though worthy of analysis regarding the original question posed.

In my 35 years of studying and playing in this industry, I believe you are right on the money. The Ferrari Daytona chop tops were a premium for a few years, and then settled down to being priced routinely at the cost of a Daytona in similar condition + cost to chop the top. Remember, the GTX1 was not actually built by the Ford factory unlike the Daytona factory spyders, and no matter who built it or sanctioned it (and in this case that "who built it" isn't helping the matter), it will never get stratospheric values in the long run above the price of standard FGT for this reason. With that said, there are rare cases when you have folks that might pay more than everyone else who would want to own an exceptional example. Another fact to remember is that it costs a considerable amount of money to cut the roof off these cars, and that cost will only climb over time. The difference between the Daytona’s has grown a little, but it still doesn’t quite make up that “gap”, as it would cost considerably more today to cut the top off a Daytona coupe than the difference in values. This is where the difference in the two car’s values (Daytona vs FGT) might come into play. The FGT might hold that differential value a little better; we’ll have to wait 10 years to see. One thing is for sure, they are stunning cars to behold.

Last edited:

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.
To each his own. I like the looks of the GTX1. But I would not own one for 2 reasons First when I road in one here in So Cal it was a hot summer day and was very uncomfortable you could not feel the ac. Second on a high performance car I feel much safer with a roof over my head in case of a mishap. As far as value only time will tell.:thumbsup

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Thank you Mr. "Let me blow this up today." Your concern for safety is overwhelming. Oh, and don't forget, it's easier for the police to spot you driving with a beer.

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.
Are you saying that the roofs are removed with Det cord? :cheers