Edmonton Alberta
Looks like a labor of Love. Beautiful

Reactions: soroush

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
Wow--amazing! How many hours did that take, start to finish? And do you take out of state jobs? :)

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Great work! What products did you use?

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
it was a lot of work for sure and it took me about a month, but I was taking my time and enjoying the process and I didnt work on it every night. I would say if you really wanted to do it in a hurry it could be done in as little as week by yourself; with a help of some friends even faster. A shop should be able to do it in a few days.

I used some thick 3m film I had laying around from an older project

those two really curved pieces that mount above the front control arms I sprayed using the 3m defender clear film spray. they were impossible to wrap and even though I could have wrapped them in multiple cuts and pieces I really wanted to try out the spray clear film so to stay true to my nature I decided it was a good idea to use a product I had never used on my NGT for the first time. they turned out great but I still prefer the film over the spray. the spray is useful for certain things as a last resort. these pieces will probably take the grunt of all the rock chips coming from the tires so I sprayed them with 8 or 9 coats they have more material on them than the thickest film you can get. then I waxed them to get them to be super slick. the piece that is directly under them which hugs the bottom of the front control arms and trails back to the door scoops also has a trailing edge which floats and I assume it will get bombarded by rocks. I wrapped the edge of that piece three times all the way from the center of it along both sides where it meets the scoop by the doors.

one pleasant surprise was that when I took the car out for a spin the other day there is no hint whatsoever of little rocks hitting the bottom of the car. before the wrap it seemed like thats the only thing I heard while driving.

my car has the flat carbon surrounds but I decided to cover the underside using gloss wrap so now the bottom looks like it was sprayed with clear coat and is very glossy compared to the rest. I think the contrast is kind of cool if you manage to look under the car

Last edited:
Reactions: GTMD

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Very nice work. Do you have a time estimate if you were to take everything off, spray it, and reinstall? Seems like that might be a good middle ground.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Thanks for the info! Looking at an installer this week . Also thinking about the bottom. In those tough places, never thought about the spray!! I did a motorcycle tank few years ago and still holding up. Applying somewhat tricky, too thin and very difficult to remove. Need right thickness first time so it can be peeled off! (I needed 2 tries!!)

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
Wow! Hope it works well. I don't think I will ever get used to hearing the rocks etc. hit the bottom of the car.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
even though spraying the panels seems like the easier thing to do (no measuring, no cutting and applying film) it is a misconception.
for one thing as mentioned before, it is somewhat technique sensitive and the spray does not act consistently even from one can to the next not to mention when the spray finally cures which could take a very long time if the conditions are not ideal the surface of the part is not as smooth as compared to film. It is still a good product and has its uses but the two small panels I did took over three days to cure by comparison I did the large thin middle panel in just a few hours and it was done. other thing to worry about with the spray is that the material has a tendency to run and if you overspray you would get an inconsistent thickness and run lines but the film is more uniform when applied... as for the level of protection I cant be certain but it seems that the film would be stronger however you could over spray a part and make it very thick so anyones guess there

as far as how many hours I really cant remember I took such a long time because I was not in a rush, we took the panels out in one day and I slowly began working a little at a time and experimenting with the spray and film to get the results you see here. If i had to guess I would say on average 3 hours per panel.

Attachments

• IMG_9253.JPG
    IMG_9253.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 41
Reactions: GTMD and Ed Sims

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
This is fantastic work. Its a good thing you dont know how long it took, you would likely be horrified. I have done a quarter of what you did, and I dont want to think about it (ha ha).

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Wow! Cool stuff there. Now get back to your practice! LOL

Ed

SPI

Nov 28, 2018
Chicago
GT Sweat Equity!

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Quite the work shop. And that's dedication! Thanks for the words and pics of the process.

Reactions: Ed Sims and soroush

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Quite the work shop. And that's dedication! Thanks for the words and pics of the process.

thanks Randy, we had to redo the garage after the big flood here couple years back

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Nice work!

Is the large center CF panel really more of a beauty panel to cover the underside of the CF tub? I haven’t removed mine yet, but it feels pretty thin and when I push against it, it’s touching something solid.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Nice job Soroush! The film gives it a nice gloss to ,don't ya think?

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Nice work soroush!
Have you tried helicopter tape for those hard to wrap areas. We used to use it for the mile events and I still use it for special areas. I put it on the passenger foot rest and it is easy to replace if it gets worn. Used to be really expensive but it is really come down.

Last edited:

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
Just goes to show you being bored can be a good thing! Nice work.