OEM Clutch vs Stillen

GTMikey

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2008
Lake Tahoe
I know there is a thread out there on this but some of it is dated.

I have a Heritage with a Hefner Pulley and Tune. I ran about 10 1/4 miles on a drag strip and 2 days of open track and the clutch is ready for a change at 6500 miles. I drive it fairly aggressive when I do drive and give its only 100hp over stock I was wondering about the varying opinions of another OEM clutch vs Stillen. Thanks for your input.

Mike

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I have driven both stock clutch and Stillen. The Stillen to me, was a little less forgiving (a bit more precise). Some folks like that better. It took me a short while to get used to.
My current GT has the stock clutch - I drive conservatively, and have a Whipple putting down 730+rWHP, with > 10,000 miles.
I think with a pulley and tune, you are fine with either. If you are going to up the HP at some time, might as well put in the Stillen.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I have used both in a couple applications and my preference would be the Stillen for the quicker engagement. It still drives very much like stock in terms of pedal effort, but it doesn't have the super long travel that the GT OEM clutch has. If you drag race your car, I don't doubt that that was the cause of you toasting your clutch. If you ride out the GT clutch even the tiniest bit, it doesn't seem to like it, and with the stock setup you're way more likely to do that. You really have to get off the OEM clutch quickly or you'll have the metallic scent of roasting clutch trailing behind you for awhile. It usually comes back to life, but eventually you will toast it.

Stillen seems pretty robust as well despite the fact that it's not specifically a "high hp" design application. I think I'm still on the first one in the TT setup, and the car has seen many track days and much use on the street. It won't last an eternity under super heavy use, but I prefer the way it feels while driving versus some of the heavy duty clutches I've had in the past that will give you Arnold Schwarzenegger's 1976 left quads and hamstrings.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
...I prefer the way it feels while driving versus some of the heavy duty clutches I've had in the past that will give you Arnold Schwarzenegger's 1976 left quads and hamstrings.

Come on, you can do your leg exercises while driving. :lol

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
I don't have any experience with the SPEC clutches, so I will refer you to Kendall at Cooltech as that is where I will eventually go.

I have had Stillen install their clutch in my car twice. The first one lasted only 2000 miles....and I did NOT drag race, dump the clutch, or do anything aggressive for the clutch to perform so poorly. I don't drag the clutch or stay on it. I did not start out in third gear.

I will NOT be going to them for any kind of work in the future due to the state they returned my car to me - Several bolts only hand tightened. Several bolts missing. Several rivnuts stripped. Scratches in the paint on both quarters of the back deck. I don't see how they could have checked their work before signing off on returning it to me as they should have immediately noticed that there was an exhaust leak due to only hand tightening the bolts.

The first go 'round, I showed up at their facility to find they used standard 'masking tape' as a means to 'protect' surfaces.......this practice could have, though didn't do any damage.

I don't see them taking their Ford GT service seriously as they appear to be mainly an import oriented company.

Kyle Millen is a very nice fellow, though when the rubber meets the road, it is the Service Shop that performs the actual work. Hopefully other's have had good experiences.

Last edited:

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
My Spec clutch has 6000 hard miles on it and at least that many left. I like it.

Aug 25, 2006
I don't have any experience with the SPEC clutches, so I will refer you to Kendall at Cooltech as that is where I will eventually go.

I have had Stillen install their clutch in my car twice. The first one lasted only 2000 miles....and I did NOT drag race, dump the clutch, or do anything aggressive for the clutch to perform so poorly. I don't drag the clutch or stay on it. I did not start out in third gear.

I will NOT be going to them for any kind of work in the future due to the state they returned my car to me - Several bolts only hand tightened. Several bolts missing. Several rivnuts stripped. Scratches in the paint on both quarters of the back deck. I don't see how they could have checked their work before signing off on returning it to me as they should have immediately noticed that there was an exhaust leak due to only hand tightening the bolts.

The first go 'round, I showed up at their facility to find they used standard 'masking tape' as a means to 'protect' surfaces.......this practice could have, though didn't do any damage.

I don't see them taking their Ford GT service seriously as they appear to be mainly an import oriented company.

Kyle Millen is a very nice fellow, though when the rubber meets the road, it is the Service Shop that performs the actual work. Hopefully other's have had good experiences.

We have discussed your experience and it saddened me that you had such an experience.

Now IMO the AP clutch as offered by Stillen is a quality piece however to the rest of your experience I can only say that I know that you were/are not happy.

Takes care

Shadowman

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
My Spec clutch has 6000 hard miles on it and at least that many left. I like it.

I have a Spec clutch as well and it seems to be bulletproof, even with 1000+ HP. That said, it feels quite a bit different than the stock clutch, stiffer and with quicker engagement. A bit grabby when new but it does smooth out with some miles. The Stillen clutch feels more like stock but I doubt it will last as long as the Spec clutch. I have had a bad experience with Stillen as well as helping another member who had a tough time there.

Chip

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I prefer the Stillen clutch. I have never had my GT worked on there but I like their products. I have had a bad experience with service at Whipple but I don't talk about it.

Ed

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
I have the Stillen clutch on both the Whipple & the TT car with the 3.91 gears. I feel that on both applications it is superior to the stock one, they have held up well under some pretty extreme outings.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I prefer the Stillen clutch. I have never had my GT worked on there but I like their products. I have had a bad experience with service at Whipple but I don't talk about it.

Ed

I have had only 3 places work on my car.

1. Town Ford in Redwood City CA,
2. Discovery Automotive / Shadowman
3. My home with Bendpak HD9

I am happy with all three, the only shop that made any mistakes was number 3. :lol

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
....I am happy with all three, the only shop that made any mistakes was number 3. :lol

It may be time to move. :biggrin

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Interesting reading on the different experiences, likes/dislikes and mileage of clutches.
Just recently added the Ford Rcing Pulley.
I have 19,850 miles on the GT, with at least 30 track days and one Texas Mile included.
The stock clutch feels and performs solid. Just had another two track days over the weekend.
Should I be nervous about the clutch dying out and replace it, or just wait to feel it go?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
You'll know when it starts to go. It was pretty obvious in my case when it was time to change it. Progressively worse slip, clutch smell, etc. The OEM clutch is really resilient as long as you don't ride it out hard or doing anything like the notorious 3rd gear start.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
I'm very happy with the Stillen clutch. Somewhere around 60k and counting.

Still works like new.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Mike, I know we have already discussed and I guess I am in the minority - but I prefer the feel of the OEM clutch over the (1) Stillen-clutched car that I have driven. This particular Stillen almost seemed too light. We have had nothing but good feedback coming from the SPEC's we have installed.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Mike, I know we have already discussed and I guess I am in the minority - but I prefer the feel of the OEM clutch over the (1) Stillen-clutched car that I have driven. This particular Stillen almost seemed too light. We have had nothing but good feedback coming from the SPEC's we have installed.

:agree: with you Kendall, I like the feeling of the stock clutch, I tried a Stillens, but never a Spec.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
In my opinion, all of these statements are spot on. The stock clutch is a solid piece that delivers a VERY easy to drive experience with a lot of engagement feedback. The AP clutch (via Stillen) is even more robust and very forgiving of aggressive driver error (drag starts, 3rd gear booboos) but it is quicker to engage. I was very worried when I changed to the Stillen but after a few days of driving, I wouldn't go back to stock. Of course, I had to loose the AP clutch in leu of a more torque friendly Tilton clutch.

With that staid, I have a used Stillen for sale or rent.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
:agree: with you Kendall, I like the feeling of the stock clutch, I tried a Stillens, but never a Spec.

Are you two on good terms now? I think I like it!

Ed

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Are you two on good terms now? I think I like it!

Ed

I hope so, I thought I was never on bad terms, only technical differences.

Like you say, "holding a grudge is letting someone live rent-free in your head."