October Mojave Magnum anyone?

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
Ok guys... trying to drum up some interest from fellow GT drivers... Oct 12/13 Mojave airport... Who else would be going?

Also, does anyone know the cost to drive the 1.5mile run?

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
i will be there :cheers i will be taking my car to Kendall and Ryan at Cooltech next week for some power upgrades and a new tune from Torrie. i should be bringing 800+ rwhp to the race this year :thumbsup

the entry fee for the 2 day Magnum event last year was minimal. as i recall it was only $450....

Last edited:

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
I'm in as well to claim my 200+mph time slips and join the 200mph club, fingers crossed.

GTED

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
I'm in as well to claim my 200+mph time slips and join the 200mph club, fingers crossed.

GTED

the air temps in October should be favorable which will contribute to keeping the DA down. a BIG tail wind like we had last year would be nice too. keeping fingers crossed here for that as well....

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
How many runs will you get? With the spring one cancelled & I feel if you get 4 runs you will be lucky.

Ed

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
Since I missed the 2012 Magnum and they cancel'd the Spring one....., Oct will be my first shot at touching 200, since I whippled the GT. Yes, lower DA and strong tail wind all good for my cause....
Ed, you could be right, in that, it could be more crowded in Oct..... All I want is ONE run!!!!!! If I mess up on selecting the right tune and miss it by "this" much....., this time, I'll need to see a therapist afterward.... ;)

GTED

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
How many runs will you get? With the spring one cancelled & I feel if you get 4 runs you will be lucky.

Ed

2 runs per day is all i need :biggrin

at the Magnum last year i could have done 8 runs per day if i wanted to though....

the Wizard

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2012
Los Angeles
I think I'd be interested as well. Do you guys typically just drive your cars out? Any need to carry anything else, such as gas? And then of course the obvious question....where?

And does it require a harness set?

JJayB

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2007
Orange Park Acres, CA
I think I'd be interested as well. Do you guys typically just drive your cars out? Any need to carry anything else, such as gas? And then of course the obvious question....where?

And does it require a harness set?

I drive out, There is usually someone with VP racing gas at the event, but I will fill up at Willow Springs Raceway which is only 20 miles away and they have 100 Octane Unleaded and 110 leaded race gas. Suggest you go on the Mojave Mile Web site for all the rules. GT's don't need a cage but they do require other saftey equipment including arm restraints. I missed the last event and the bucket list has 200 mph so I'm going. I better book a tune up with Kendall as it looks like there will be a good number of GT's.
Usually the temps start to drop in October under 80 but it can be windy. Hoping for tail wind.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
What is the max allowed speed in this event for a FGT (no fuel, cell no csage) ? Is is 200 MPH with a 5 over, or is it more?

JJayB

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2007
Orange Park Acres, CA
What is the max allowed speed in this event for a FGT (no fuel, cell no csage) ? Is is 200 MPH with a 5 over, or is it more?

Depends on what the tech speed of the car. An A3 is up to 230mph but could be 220mph if the tires have more than 6/32". I beleive that FGT have an exemption on the cage due to the driver cell.
A small breakout is 5.1 to 10 mph over tech'd speed is without penalty, but do it twice and the talk to you.
You whipple guys have to run chutes....just kidding.

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
Summer and I will most likely be out for both days....at least I will....and Richard Hille should be with us for at least a day. Tech is 220 for regular GT tires like bridgestones and 230 for Hoosiers like the guy above said. At the last Magnum I did "break out" over 230 but nothing was said. You have to do it multiple times in a big way for them to make it an issue. I believe they are planning on making this a hybrid event and having mile and 1.5 mile runs. I suspect if you break out a lot they will only let you run the mile course and stop letting you go 1.5. None of you should have any issues though.

As for runs at the first one we did 7 and only ran for half a day on Saturday and they closed early at 4pm. Sunday is usually the least busy day and people are usually hot lapping by the end of the day. I would think you will get as many runs as you want, however they may get more people than normal since they will not have run out there for a year. They are supposed to limit the field to 90 cars each day, (last year they only had 60 and 50 each day)but who knows if they will change their minds since they will not have run for a year. If you are doing one day I would recommend Sunday. It might not be too busy though because they scheduled the week after Bonneville and some people won't do both events.

A couple of cool things that they did change. Say you come with your GT and your buddy brings out his 458 there is no longer an extra fee if you want to swap cars for a run. Yes that is right, if your buddy is willing you can do a car swap and run each others car. To some of you this may be more distressing than a wife swap, however we thought it was a rule change that was long overdue and we used it with some friends at the last event.

Second you can add a second car for only $200. I think regular entry is around $400ish. You would still have to pay an extra driver fee if you have other drivers, but it is a nice way to get another car into the mix. I am pretty sure I am going to bring my DB9 also just to see what the V-12 will do. Plus I can go to the line with Summer at the same time. YIKES!! :facepalm: :lol

Anyway those were a couple of positive changes that a lot of people did not know about at the last event. Hope to see you guys out there to cheer on GTED for his first 200mph pass!!!. :cheers

Attachments

• IMG_5968.jpg
    IMG_5968.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 264
  • toms235.jpg
    toms235.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 267

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
I believe they are planning on making this a hybrid event

Great! I'll bring my Prius. :lol

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
Hi Tom

Glad to know you and Summer will be there, and yes, baby, 200mph!!!

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
Are arm restraints required? whipple 800 rwhpish...

gerry

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
If I have a car still in California I would like to try the longer runway, so pencil me in as a maybe. Ditto for Camilo and his car. Not sure if he'll still have this one by then.

JJayB

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2007
Orange Park Acres, CA
Are arm restraints required? whipple 800 rwhpish...

gerry

Short answer yes. If you run harnesses they require arm restraints. You can't get tech'ed over 170 without harnesses unless it's an SSE but you have a whipple so you can't run SSE. Confusing huh. Check out the Mojave Mile web sit for the rules. They tech the car for certain level of speed and also the driver as well.

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
I am tentatively planning on being there, with two cars; a twin turbo NSX (600 whp) intended for eventual use on the salt, and, of course, the mighty GT. At least I can be sure that one of them will do 200. :)

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
Short answer yes. If you run harnesses they require arm restraints. You can't get tech'ed over 170 without harnesses unless it's an SSE but you have a whipple so you can't run SSE. Confusing huh. Check out the Mojave Mile web sit for the rules. They tech the car for certain level of speed and also the driver as well.

By harness in assuming you mean the 5pt harness? I have mine still in from the Ford gt speed day. What is sse? Also, what are restraints do you guys recommend?

JJayB

GT Owner
Jan 7, 2007
Orange Park Acres, CA
By harness in assuming you mean the 5pt harness? I have mine still in from the Ford gt speed day. What is sse? Also, what are restraints do you guys recommend?

Harness is a racing harness 5 or 6 point, not to be confused with tuner 2 inch belts.

SSE is Superstock Exotic class for exotic cars from 1990 and up where modifications would devalue the car. If it's an SSE class it must be bone stock. No whipple, no 100 octane, no fuzzy dice, nonitros in the roll bar... opps no roll bars. No dealer installed blowers, No modified ECU's, stock. Now, someone will ask is the Ford Racing exhaust, and pulley stock. I don't know. I think it is as it was available from the factory. But why would you want to run 200+ mph with lap belts!.
Jimmy