NFGT maintenance

SBR

GT Owner
Aug 23, 2009
As we all know the 05/06 GT is a pretty inexpensive and low maintenance car as far as exotics goes. Is there a consensus as to whether the new car will be like the 05/06 in that regard? Thanks in advance.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
If you have to ask........

So far everything is covered under warranty except first oil change around 600 miles.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
More than 05/06 but less than a Bugatti :)

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Remember back when The McLaren F1 owners had to air freight their cars back to McLaren in Surrey for service? Things have come a long way since. Worse case for me is a 5 1/2 hour trip to Ontario!

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
As we all know the 05/06 GT is a pretty inexpensive and low maintenance car as far as exotics goes. Is there a consensus as to whether the new car will be like the 05/06 in that regard? Thanks in advance.

Here's my apples to apples comparison '05 to '18

I do the oil changes on my '05 myself so labor excluded from both examples....

2005 - $55 for 10 qt container of Rotella T-6 full synthetic (lots of discussion here on Motorcraft vs other synthetic 5/50), $6 for correct Mann oil filter (bought 10 off Amazon for $60), plus my time about 3 hrs leisurely...mostly cleaning the belly pans. Add $25 if I change the air filters.

2018 - $358 for 3 containers of Castrol supercar synthetic oil (specific for our cars), $62 for the oil filter. These are dealership prices. Add $70 for labor. I will do the oil change myself next time. Actually easier than on the 2005.

So, direct comparison is $61 vs $ 420. That's for a simple oil change. Big repairs, service??

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Can you buy oil and filter from Ford?

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX

Yes, I plan on buying 3 containers (4 L each) of oil and the filter from my dealer. Will do the oil change myself.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I wish you lived closer. I'd have you do my oil change!

Ed

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Actually the dealer is the ONLY place you can find the oil. Its a specific weight, and I could not find it anywhere. Same for the filter, its not labeled with an "FL" it is a part number.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I wish you lived closer. I'd have you do my oil change!

Ed

When I retire from my day job, I'll join Rich and become the NFGT Guy. He doesn't know it yet :)

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Is there a shop manual out for the NFGT?

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007

its 6495 dollars and you have to be selected to get one :)

kidding aside that would be really cool wonder when they would have it available, if at all

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

For those of us who don't do our own maintenance, the new GT is substantially more complicated and more expensive to maintain that the relatively stone simple 05/06 cars. My first dealership oil change was $650. The new car holds a TON of oil, something like 15 quarts. Maintenance costs are still probably a lot less than Ferrari or other exotics. Parts prices once the cars are out of warranty will be steep. For big gun exotic car collector/owners who are use to the abusive service costs of Italian cars the NFGT will seem very reasonable. For those of us who have only owned one exotic, a Ford GT, the upkeep on the new one is going to seem pretty stout.

Chip

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
No, but I have had the concierge send me a couple pages for specific projects.

Not sure if one will be published like 05-06, or just a subscription. This is the publisher

http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result....18&Category=&Keyword=&Module=&selected_media=

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Gentlemen,

For those of us who don't do our own maintenance, the new GT is substantially more complicated and more expensive to maintain that the relatively stone simple 05/06 cars. My first dealership oil change was $650. The new car holds a TON of oil, something like 15 quarts. Maintenance costs are still probably a lot less than Ferrari or other exotics. Parts prices once the cars are out of warranty will be steep. For big gun exotic car collector/owners who are use to the abusive service costs of Italian cars the NFGT will seem very reasonable. For those of us who have only owned one exotic, a Ford GT, the upkeep on the new one is going to seem pretty stout.

Chip

Ferraris have 6 years free maintanance. And my Aventator has been relatively cheap in annual service

unotaz

GT Owner
May 24, 2018
Los Angeles
$650 for an oil change on a carbon tub car is more than reasonable. In fact, it's CHEAP. I think the big surprise will be the parts once the warranty expires.

Gentlemen,

Chip