New GT owner

John Weires

GT Owner
Oct 20, 2009
Hi everybody,
I just recently took delivery of a 2005 Red GT with all four options that I bought from Shelby at Elite Auto's. I took a 10.5 hour road trip from Des Moines to Jonesboro, AR to see his store. It was fun to see seven or eight GT's all in one room. He was cordial, very knowledgeable and not pushy. It took me a night or two to make my decision. I elected to get a clear bra, pulley and tune and Heffner exhaust which Shelby installed. It was transported to me with out incident with 1590 miles on it. Last four digits of VIN are 1744 and I am the 2nd owner. It looks like a new car.

For comparison purposes....I've got some experience on the track with my 2001 Lingenfelter 427 Corvette Z06 (500 RWHSP) with all kinds of DRM chassis and general track modifications. At under 3200 lbs and with 3:90 gears it is very fast. A few years ago I ran against a stock GT on the track and was slightly faster on the straights but probably nearer even on the corners. Just a couple of seconds ahead difference on a three mile track (BIR at Brainerd, MN). With the mods the GT clearly has more pulling power across the whole RPM range than the Corvette as well as the traction to put the power down below say 60 mph where the Corvette just spins the tires. I'm really sold on the mid engine design for a two seat car. It's drive-ability, comfort and stability at triple digit speed greatly outclasses the Corvette. It's styling has every one stares to the point where I worry about causing an accident. What a thrill to drive and like no other car I've been in!

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
Let me to be the first to welcome you to the forum. Yeah the GT is that good, but would be even better with a Whipple and adjustable shocks.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Welcome to the Forum - you 'll find a lot of very nice people here, and a lot of knowledge with respect to the Ford GT. :thumbsup

:cheers

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Congrats your new car.

I was amazed with the FGT's stability at high speeds. The TX mile seemed like a cruise on the highway.

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
John,

Welcome to the family. And you will find, this really is a family of great people. Just about anyone here will give you all the help you need to really enjoy your GT.

Richard Hille
The GT School

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Welcome John !! :cheers
Red is a great color... but with that said all the colors are great !! :thumbsup

I am originally from Iowa...( Davenport ) I gave up the snow and the cold for sunny South Florida...:biggrin

H

HHGT

Welcome and Congrats...

Aug 25, 2006
Welcome to the family and enjoy your new gal

Takes care

Shadowman

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Welcome and congratulations! I came from a modified Corvette also. We got our Red 06 GT from Shelby this year and have not stopped smiling since.
Shelby and Eric are really fantastic and will be great future resources for you as a GT owner. They have already gone way above and beyond the initial sale for us and have shown themselves to be true professionals. We look forward to seeing you at next years Rally!
:thumbsup

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Greetings from a very wet and windy England.. :cheers

Drive it with care!

KDO GT

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2008
Hollywood MD
Welcome

Welcome aboard, and enjoy your new ride:cheers:cheers

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
Time to send it off for a Twin Turbo.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Greetings.

Welcome to the GT Forum John. Stay involved and you will enjoy your GT twice as much. I look forward to meeting you. :cheers

Chip

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Welcome, now wait until you get it on the track with some hoosier R6's........

standj

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 23, 2007
Wyoming
Welcome aboard from the Northeast!!!

John

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Glad to Have you Aboard

John, you are now a TWO time winner!
First you made a fantastic selection of a car from a great car guy and supporter of our Forum, Shelby. And
Second, you found us on the Forum.

You will not find any nicer group of car enthusiasts around. We are all passionate about our cars and have experienced many times what you are now going through with the buzz around you as you drive your car. A timeless classic enjoyed by all who see her out and about.

Welcome, and as Chip says, stay engaged, check back frequently for new posts and contribute!

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Welcome to our daily place of relief and comfort! Yea that Shelby guy has taken care of many members in the past with 100% great feedback from all. Great choice in your place of purchase as well as getting one of the best gals you will ever own:thumbsup Now take the entire winter to read all of the useful information on our wonderful forum and take this tip below as the first and most important tip for all new comers.

Please be VERY VERY VERY careful at below 50 degree temperatures with Badyear tires as they are like being on roller skates at this temperature.:ack Way to many gals have been damaged due to this situation:frown

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Welcome to club my friend. Glad to have another proud owner.

You don't sound like a stranger to fast cars but I would like to offer once piece of advice (I learned the hard way); all that power and no traction control can be dangerous, don't let cold tires get the best of you.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Sorry I am late to the party. Gald to see you here John! It was a pleasure dealing with you. You were a man of your word from the start and that goes a long way in my book. Hope you hang around and thank you for your business!!!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
CONGRATS!!!

And welcome to our lil' asylum, John! :thumbsup:thumbsup :cheers