My GT School Experience

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
First off I would like to thank Richard Hille, Neil Hanneman and all of the other instructors, staff and support crew for putting on such a top notch event that was incredibly informative but allowed us the maximum amount of time to drive. :bow It was a great introduction to the track for me as a first timer by people with great expertise on the car, or a chance for some of the others going through the school again to hang with other owners and have a minimum number of cars on the track so they could let it all out. All of the other owners were a pleasure to meet and chat with throughout the day. I have to agree with Kendall’s thread earlier this week that we have a very unique ownership group. Two very big :thumbsup:thumbsup to Ford for building the American supercar that attracted such a quality group of individuals.

On the drive to the track I knew it was going to be an interesting day as I looked up and realized it was a full moon. I figured I would reserve judgment on whether this was a good sign or a bad one till after the event. :lol A short 170 mile drive brought me the sunrise and to Willow Springs for the start of the day. We went to the drivers meeting and after a timely (blessedly short) briefing it was time to get on the track for lead/follow……man that was fun, but I should have used the rest room first :willy:willy…..I stayed out longer than I thought I would.

First we followed Neil in a rental and then a Mercedes AMG that picked up the speed. Well I won’t bore you with all the details…...okay I’ll bore you with just a couple. I did a brief 180 once :eek and ended up facing the wrong way, but fortunately I stayed on the pavement. Although halfway through the day I thought I was screwed :bang ! See the pic below……somehow during the morning sessions I actually ended up with a screw through the edge of my tire!!! The Pit crew found it during a tire check and removed it with a Phillips head screwdriver, said no worries, keep going. The tire made it through the rest of the day and the drive home….but Bridgestones are on the way. :lol

Also got to see my first GTX1 that was packing a wicked twin turbo. Very impressive car that Rick drives for full effect. :thumbsup I should have tried to get him to take me for a ride. Obviously he was getting ridiculous speed down the long front straight. It was awesome. Also my ears are still recovering from the loudest exhaust note I have heard to date from Larry K’s machine. I would just stop talking every time he came down the front straight as we would all turn and stare in awe. And as you all know, the great thing about the GT is that there are soooo many options to personalize your car that every single car there was unique and a joy to look at and wonder what the next project will be for your own car. It was a very fun day and most importantly everyone left with their cars intact.

Which brings me to the only negative of the day which was in my overactive head. I have to say that I never fully pushed as hard as I could because I honestly could not get out of my head that I did not want to hurt the car. It had nothing to do with the speed (shhhh :secret: I have gone much faster on my own) or following the instructors directions. It had everything to do with no insurance coverage and the expense of the hurting the car. The instructors are saying “go to the edge of the track more” and my brain was like “not in this car !!!”

I guess this could be solved by buying event insurance. If I did a road track again I would buy a used Z06 and take the crack up worry out of my head because I would have less invested, both monetarily and emotionally. My GT has seen its last track day. However if we can ever get a runway event going in Cali or Nevada I am so in for that. I have got a bit of blue tape left over for that.

…….oh yeah…..the blue tape. :rofl It made it through the whole day intact and when I saw what it prevented my car from eating I was very happy that I spent the time and three rolls of tape protecting her. Besides it gave us a great running joke for the day. Pro and I went to the upper grandstands with one of the instructors to talk about the track and get the birds eye view. We saw our cars together on pit row. He said “Your car looks really blue from up here. You need to take a pic.” :lol All I know was the tape came right off, a little detail spray and except for needing new tires the car is whole again and looks fresh as a daisy. Great Times!!!

Attachments

• IMG_2085.jpg
    IMG_2085.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_2073.jpg
    IMG_2073.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_2076.jpg
    IMG_2076.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 224
  • pit row.JPG
    pit row.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_2099.jpg
    IMG_2099.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 223

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
Few More pics..

Final GT tally: one Tungsten GTX1, one Tungsten, one Heritage, three red GT's, two white (Richard brought his) and one slighly blue taped Tungsten. :wink What a great day. :cheers

Attachments

• IMG_2097.jpg
    IMG_2097.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_2082.jpg
    IMG_2082.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_2063.jpg
    IMG_2063.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_2096.jpg
    IMG_2096.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 223

OCPETE

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Killer Dana, CA
Great pics...It's real hard hanging out on the left outside of turn 8 going into 9 as suggested by instructors as horizon visual of outside blends into the outback :lol

I assume you ate your stock tires up pretty well, (you can hear them fall apart if you listen closely on turn 4 :biggrin)

Willow is friggan addictive.

Headed off to the 2.5 track with the Cobra Club on the 24th with Hoosiers this time :thumbsup

I suggest a Speed Lingerie bra and Hoosiers next go round :thumbsup

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I see you brought some tape :lol

Glad you had a good time and it's great you got the experience with Neil and Richard!

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
Thank you for sharing! And, nice pictures too.

Can someday provide the impression and opinion on the car-controls training? Thx

Ed

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
most excellent images, and the weather looked awesome!

It is the most striking car image of any race car in history! Especially on a track

Wouldn't it be incredible , if after 5 years, and Ford had turned around, designed the 2nd edition of the FGT and produced it under all the new regulations but still made a car even more awesome than the one we have??? Sign me up now for another FGT in 5 years!

Last edited:
H

HHGT

:thumbsup:thumbsup

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Rick, you have to chime in and tell me if I was right about the TT experience on the track.

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
Rick, you have to chime in and tell me if I was right about the TT experience on the track.

DBK,

I know you meant Rick, the owner of the TT, but I just had to "chime in". Rick let me take the GTX1 TT around the track for a few laps and I must say the acceleration of that rocket is other worldly!!! My stock GT with Hoosier tires hits just over 148 MPH on the front straight at Willow Springs before I start to brake for turn one. When I glanced down at the speedo on my first hot lap with Rick's TT I saw the speedometer busting past 170 MPH!!!! I was pretty sure I must have mis-read the guage so I went for another hot lap before coming in, and no, I wasn't mis-reading I was hitting 175 MPH on that straight. IT WAS AMAZING. The acceleration was just unending.

This from a guy who has spent literally hours over 200 MPH. I will never forget that ride.:biggrin

Thank You Rick!!!,
Richard Hille
The GT School

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Yeah, I have the same setup and the acceleration is furious. I was telling Rick the other day that the TT is actually easier in some cases to drive than a big power twin screw because you aren't fighting a mountain of torque out of the corners. Of course you can just use the torque on the blower car to yank you around the track without shifting as much, but if you are doing alot of shifting, I was predicting he would find it slightly more hairy as the torquey delivery is more prone to send you around. Running the TT setup at MMP I could just meakly come out of corners WOT in low RPMS knowing the fury would rocket me down the straights.

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
I have to agree with Skyrex, it was a wonderful day. Unfortunately, I missed the first day because my wife had been called for Jury Duty, and she didn't get released until it was too late for me to join in the festivities. :frown

For the second day, I was pretty nervous going in with the TT'd X1. This is the first time I have tracked the car. Thank goodness I spoke with DBK first to calm some of my fears. One thing to remember in the future don't forget harnesses. Luckily Richard & Wally came to the rescue with 2 sets. Because of that snafu I missed the lead / follow session. Finally I had my chance to try her out. I took the first laps kind of slow to get my lines, and review the track. Never going over that 4,000 RPM for fear of setting off that time bomb I have in the engine bay. As I became more familiar I decided to let her loose on the front straight. Because I came out of 9 and didn't have the car pointed straight yet the cars rear did loosen a bit when the Turbos kicked in. But OH MY GOSH, when that power came on I was flying down that track! It made my Whippled X1 seem slow.

When I came back in from warm ups, Neil rode with me and we reviewed my driving. Fortunately I hadn't forgotten what I had learned from the last time I attended the school. I just had to learn the nuances of the Turbo's. The Heffner setup is great. I could take the corners and not have the instantaneous onset of power. It really came on smooth and afforded me time for some feathering of the accelerator. But for short burst in 3rd it came on quick if I needed it, and I got off it fast. We did get airborne on one of the back corners, and I had to do some correction. I can't remember the nickname for it but I think it was #6. On #8 I was hitting 130, and my fastest down the straight was 165 in 4th.

The car never overheated, and I ran through 3 tanks of fuel.

Richard & Neil both drove my car, and I'll let them speak for themselves. Unfortunately for Neil it was at the end of the day, and we had corded the left front tire. The best time I posted was 1:37:1. I'm sure Richard & Neil did better than that. With Neil I did go along for the ride, and let me tell you that was FUN! :willy

The group of drivers, crew helpers, and instructors were a pleasure to meet. Thank you all. I just wish I had more time to chat with everyone. Unfortunately I didn't get many photo's because my camera's battery went dead. But I saw plenty of cameras around.

Would I go again to the GT School. You Betcha! :banana:banana:banana:banana

Bony I wish to thank you also. You know why.:thumbsup

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Sounds like a great time was had by all !!!

Aug 25, 2006
What a great shared event; thank you

I am very happy for all of you

Takes care

Shadowman

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Great event and thanks for posting. Made my day.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
The car never overheated, and I ran through 3 tanks of fuel.

That's awesome. Running a turbo setup at the track has kept the car much, much cooler than running the blower. :banana

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Wow! Thanks for sharing. :cheers

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Fantastic !!

powergt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 17, 2006
Newport Beach, Ca.
Things I learned at The GT School:

1. Bridgestones work much better at 35 psi cold but I can,t say they
are better than Goodyears at 35 psi cold. Don,t forget to let the
pressure down before you go home they ride like stones at those
pressures.

2. Hoosiers are worth about 5 seconds a lap on the big track.

3.Mintex xtreme pads are great stoppers and don,t look 1/4 worn in
two days of abuse.

4. There is at least one Tungston GT that is much faster than any
other color.

5.Canadian GT owners are as nice as those from the States but they
talk funny "aboot" things.

6. Driving down the front straight at 135 mph brings a smile to your
face, being passed by twin turbo at 160mph brings a belly laugh!

7. Even without many modifications the Ford GT is an amazing track
ride until you get passed by a full race Cobalt SS.

8. Entering turn 8 at 115 mph and exiting turn 9 at 100 is now much less
intimidating.

9. Five point lap belts allow you to go faster.

10. Richard, Neil, Bill, Mac and Bob are great instructors. I learned something
different from all of them. They give you all the track time and smiles that you can handle in two days.

Thanks again, Pat

Last edited: