more than you can afford, pal... ford!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Remember, they also charge the selling company a percentage of the sale, which is added into to the price of the item - so you still wind up paying them to use the card - just a smaller amount.

Well, in the sense that I also am paying a small amount for the merchant's lights, heat, taxes, employees, etc., yes. All that IS factored into the price of the item being bought... all "overhead" is. There's no way to avoid that. But, as far as a DIRECT additional charge for using the card - no, there is no actual add-on charge (unless you're talkin' gas stations for instance). In that same sense, CASH CUSTOMERS are paying for that same credit card overhead as well.

And that's another thing I don't 'get'. A merchant will pay a credit card company "X" % on each transaction charged to a 'card...but won't give his customer a discount for cash! Go 'figger'!

Blue Moose

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Chandler,Arizona.
So we're all guilty of having watched Fast n Furious. You can admit it. Anyways.. remember that scene where they pull up next to the ferarri, and ask what the retail is.. guy answers "More than you can afford, pal... ferarri"..

So this guy is next to me at a light.. and ask (word for word) the same question.. i figure he's kidding, throwing the famous line out... so I answer "more than you can afford, pal... ford."

How about, "I have no idea. I'm just the valet"! :lol

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I pay cash for everything I own, if I can't afford it, I don't buy it. The first GT I had to take $100 bills with me because the idiot dealership (Raceway Ford Riverside) did not want a Cashier Check. I sat at the dealership for 45 minutes while he made photocopies of all the bills - what a moron - he said that was their policy in case the money was counterfeit. He would not take a wire either because their policy was not to give out their account #...

I didn't know you were in the drug business.

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
How about, "I have no idea. I'm just the valet"! :lol

Haha, love it. I'm going to have to use that one!!! Or maybe similarly, "I dunno, I just stole it......." :lol

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
Line of credit is at prime, the money is making me 10%. Paying off the car just doesn't make sense.

And if it's a kid and/or a smoker asking how much, I say "you'll spend more on tobacco by the time you're 55, than the price of this car." (estimate 250000)
The choice is yours!

10 percent?!? Ok where? On cash? My guess is in your business that you are getting a return that good or better. I havent seen anywhere that you can get 10 percent on just cash in the bank. I am with the others I just pay cash for all my bad habits. Like cars

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
10 percent?!? Ok where? On cash? My guess is in your business that you are getting a return that good or better. I havent seen anywhere that you can get 10 percent on just cash in the bank. I am with the others I just pay cash for all my bad habits. Like cars

My line of credit is now at 2.75% First, I should probably get the FGT and lock it. (It is a prime minus at a credit union, with the ability to make one portion of it fixed so the rate won't change until payoff even if the prime goes up.) Second, it's really tempting to put it all in the stock market. My protfolio has done close to 10% just in the last 3 months. I'm too chicken.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
I just say 17 yrs of education and 30 years of working....................

Isn't that politically incorrect? :eek

dmaxx3500

Jan 2, 2010
i was with a friend at ''Road America' race track,with his ''Pantera'' and some guy looking at told his girlfriend how cool it was that the band pantera had a car named after them

fastzilla

Where's reverse?
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 17, 2010
San Antonio, TX
"...is that the new Ferrari?"

"Yes it is..."

"....how much is it?"

"don't know...this one's stolen..." or "Less than a new Z06"

Then I pray for natural selection to kick in...

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I pay cash for everything I own, if I can't afford it, I don't buy it. The first GT I had to take $100 bills with me because the idiot dealership (Raceway Ford Riverside) did not want a Cashier Check. I sat at the dealership for 45 minutes while he made photocopies of all the bills - what a moron - he said that was their policy in case the money was counterfeit. He would not take a wire either because their policy was not to give out their account #...

sam you should have paid for it with the black amex, then turn around and pay the amex (however you liked), this way you would have had 160K+ points :)

H

HHGT

sam you should have paid for it with the black amex, then turn around and pay the amex (however you liked), this way you would have had 160K+ points :)

idiot dealer would have charged me 5%

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
Yup, that's exactly what they do...but actually, it's against the credit card company's policy if you read their fine print...and the merchant could actually lose their merchant account by insisting in adding a surcharge to the sale. There are certain exceptions, but....

I bought a 2002 C5 for about 64k CDN at the time, when the US/CDN exchange rate was in the 30% range. I remember getting a great deal on the car, but the dealer wanted a 2% premium for a credit card transaction, and no deal for cash or cheque, so I walked until I found another dealer who did the deal on the card with no surcharge. It was easy, as I had the sales contract already filled out and done from the 1st dealer...so I kept the top copy, showed it to 2 other dealers, until the last one bit. They had a ton of margin in the car, but were being greedy...so they lost the sale and it went to someone less greedy than them...LOL

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
...and the merchant could actually lose their merchant account by insisting in adding a surcharge to the sale. There are certain exceptions, but....

...Merchants do it all the time!

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
I know - and I'm not disputing that, but a call to the credit card company causes them a lot of heartache...don't ask me how I know - LOL

If you negotiate a deal, without specifying the monetary instrument, and decide to pay with a card, and they try to jack the rate...it's a contravention of their terms (CC company).

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
I took a picture with the GM of the dealership and the check I wrote..... Most exciting and ridiculous day of my life.... Paid it off in one foul swoop...

I've told this story before but it goes like this. I was on a Job in San Fran for TOYOTA, while we were waiting for proper light from the sun, The Director/Photographer and I took off for lunch across the bridge... On the way back in the heart of San Fran.... a city truck with city workers roll down the window and say to my passenger, Anatol the photographer, "What kind of car is that?" Anatol responds in a thick German accent, "It's a Ford GT man, It says it right here on the side" (while pointing to it out the window) Anatol then turns to me and says, "What's with you Americans? You don't even know your own cars?" It was a truly funny moment for me :)

Just realized the story I just told goes like this... My avatar pic is from that shoot :) and the pic below is after my avatar pic when I had to get the 1/2 inch of water out of the cockpit..... oh well, it was fresh water

Last edited:

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
wide is the gate to GM, narrow is the gate unto true Ford knowledge ! There was (they are both gone now) two Ford dealerships in my neck of the woods (hickville) that got in a GT apiece. Even though I have purchased many cars & trucks from them over the years,neither one seem to take me serious about the GT. When they got the cars they jacked the price so high it was out of control. I did get to drive the GT through one of their lots and wave before they closed down. Not many folks seem to know what the GT is ,but when some one does I always take time for them.

Mike's GT

GT Owner
Feb 18, 2008
Toms River NJ
hi Guys, this is a true story that happened to me this summer, a few of my buddies park our cars along the ocean in Seaside Heights NJ about 1/2 a mile from where they shoot that Jersey Shore show, anyway I am parked with my Ford GT , and a few Corvettes.
A couple on bikes in there 30's stop at the back of my car, and the guy says this is a Ford GT this car cost about 200,000 dollars, she says pretty loud for all to hear, How obnoxious, who would spend that kind of money on a car, you think they would donate money to help clean up the environment.
Well the husband or boy friend looks over at us and realizes we heard everything she had said and he says "who own this car" and I say I do, He says nice car.

She says to me can I ask you what you do for a living sir?
and without blinking I tell her I own a recycling Company . If you could have seen her face , that was worth 200,000 bucks.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
"She says to me can I ask you what you do for a living sir?
and without blinking I tell her I own a recycling Company."

BRAVO!!!!!!!! You cut her off at the knees!!!!!!!

The only way you could have improved on that come back was if you'd added; "There's BIG MONEY in being green."

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
"She says to me can I ask you what you do for a living sir?
and without blinking I tell her I own a recycling Company."

BRAVO!!!!!!!! You cut her off at the knees!!!!!!!

The only way you could have improved on that come back was if you'd added; "There's BIG MONEY in being green."

Should have said own a clear cut lumber company and a strip mining operation as well as a few oil well in the gulf.

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Should have said own a clear cut lumber company and a strip mining operation as well as a few oil well in the gulf.

:rofl