more than you can afford, pal... ford!

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
So we're all guilty of having watched Fast n Furious. You can admit it. Anyways.. remember that scene where they pull up next to the ferarri, and ask what the retail is.. guy answers "More than you can afford, pal... ferarri"..

So this guy is next to me at a light.. and ask (word for word) the same question.. i figure he's kidding, throwing the famous line out... so I answer "more than you can afford, pal... ford."

he didnt seem like he got it. i'm guessing he never saw the movie. now i feel like an ahole.. ah well. :lol

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Made me laugh!

As long as you say it with a smile no one should get offended.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
It's amazing how many people ask that question. Any one else have good responses?

Ed

nsfkid

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2007
Port Credit Ontario
People ask me if my car is a Ferrari,
My response is, If I wanted to drive something slow I would buy a Ferrari.:banana

Mike

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
It's amazing how many people ask that question. Any one else have good responses?

I like to say "meh, it's just a Ford." They get all excited, like they're going to run down to the dealership and put $500 down to finance a new one.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
I always respond with......'a good education.'

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Hahahahaha!
When we were driving back from Rally 4, we stopped at a little gas and market in the boonies in west Texas.
There was a gal there, who was really checking out the GT when we came out of the market and asked "What is that car? I love it!" I said it's just a Ford. She replied, that's nothing like any Ford I have ever seen, you sure? I said yeah, look at what it says on the side of the car. She looked down and her eyes popped out of her head. It was classic.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I always respond with......'a good education.'

Excellent. :thumbsup

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
A guy rolls up next to me while I'm waiting at a traffic signal.

He says, "Is that a Ferrari?"

I said, "No, it's a Ford GT."

He says, "So what kind of Ferrari is that?"

He seemed nice enough but definitely not a car guy.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
I just say 17 yrs of education and 30 years of working....................

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
At car shows, when kids ask about the price (after they all ask about how fast it will go), I tell them, "Just do all your homework".

Howard

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Having been asked about "the what did it cost question" many, many times, my standard response is

"the list price on my GT was $159,000...and worth every penny".

Almost always followed by nod "yes" and a "whew that's expensive" smile.

AZSTAD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 4, 2008
Arizona
Funny story.

I usually get asked the same three questions almost all the time...
1. What is it?
2. How much is it?
3. What do you do for a living?

My answers vary depending on the person and their age. Here they are:

1. Just a Ford. A Ford GT. No...not the new Mustang.
2. Between $150-$200k, depending on mileage and color. (Some think it's a $500K car)
3. This is where the variance happens.
3a. If it's a young kid/teenager with glazed over eyes, I usually tell him "internet" and that he has to get good grades in school and go onto college and get a great GPA. Then I let him sit in it and take a picture with his phone.
3b. If it's a guy that looks like a jerk, sometimes I say "I deal drugs", smile and climb in the car. =)

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
The reply I settled on was, "Let's just say it cost more than your average Buick."

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
Funny story.

1. What is it?
2. How much is it?

2. Between $150-$200k, depending on mileage and color. (Some think it's a $500K car)
3a. If it's a young kid/teenager with glazed over eyes, I usually tell him "internet" and that he has to get good grades in school and go onto college and get a great GPA. Then I let him sit in it and take a picture with his phone.
3b. If it's a guy that looks like a jerk, sometimes I say "I deal drugs", smile and climb in the car. =)

another option for 3b. could be "the least amount for the most amount of money"

Last edited:

hollywoodstunts

GT Owner
Apr 25, 2009
Venice, CA
"It was given to me by my job, it's a company car."

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
Funny story.

1. What is it?
2. How much is it?

AZSTAD, great responses. I always use 3b as my answer...since it is the truth for me. However, If it is a kid, I acknowledge that it is "legal prescription drugs - the honest living."

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA

I paid cash for my car, which prompted the sales manager at the Ford dealership to say to me, "so, you're a big swinging dick, what do you do for a living? Drug dealer?" Now, I had not said a single word to the sales manager, and the sales rep came from a different dealership in order to do this deal....so, there wan't any interaction and I didn't precipitate any bad blood in the first place.

I was quite offended and normally would have told him to shove it where the sun don't shine...., but since it was EXACTLY the car I wanted, I just said, "yeah, that's it' and walked away. I've never been back other than to pick up the Ford wheel bolt replacements.

So much for Ford creating a 'Halo Car' to generate foot traffic in to the dealerships.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Dealerships make the Difference

Kingman-

While I can appreciate your story, I think it is very much dealership dependent.

My out of town dealer sold two of his four allocations to myself and another Forum participant as a cash transaction. Never once was there EVER any question of where, how or why on writing him a check. For either of us. Or from anyone at the dealership for that matter as we were introduced to everyone. 100% professional in every aspect.

And I might say he has earned both of our perpetual car buying business....

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
I usually just say "not much...and you"? That was the standard answer for the Viper and the Z...probably won't change much for the GT either - :)