Mileage and Ford GT's

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
You guys are TOO funny. It is a no-brainer not to buy a car for $25K less if you can find a 6K mile car vs a 2K mile car. I'm talking about 10-20K miles. You do realize they ARE out there right? Baby miles would be less than 1K....only worth a premium if you are going to keep it in a bubble and hardly ever drive it (See Bye Enzo's post). Think about it.......a 68 Shelby Mustang......would it make a big difference if it had 30K or 50K?....not so much. So, over time, if you plan on driving it at all will make little or no difference.....it will be about condition years down the road. Sure the 100 mile car still in the wrapper will bring more, but who gives a chit......how much fun is it to come to a rally and "brag" about your car at home on the trickle charger? These are cars, built to be driven. You CAN find a lot better "investments" if that is your rationale.

Doctr V

GT Owner
Mar 16, 2010
Pennsylvania
You guys are TOO funny. It is a no-brainer not to buy a car for $25K less if you can find a 6K mile car vs a 2K mile car. I'm talking about 10-20K miles. You do realize they ARE out there right? Baby miles would be less than 1K....only worth a premium if you are going to keep it in a bubble and hardly ever drive it (See Bye Enzo's post). Think about it.......a 68 Shelby Mustang......would it make a big difference if it had 30K or 50K?....not so much. So, over time, if you plan on driving it at all will make little or no difference.....it will be about condition years down the road. Sure the 100 mile car still in the wrapper will bring more, but who gives a chit......how much fun is it to come to a rally and "brag" about your car at home on the trickle charger? These are cars, built to be driven. You CAN find a lot better "investments" if that is your rationale.

LOL Thanks Nardo, awesome advice. I definitely drive my other 5 cars and this one will be no different. No matter how many miles are on the damn thing, its still gonna be a rare Ford GT when its all said and done.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
The converse is making her more experienced could inure to the next boyfriend's benefit as well.

:lol

Very good.

I recall a while ago being given the analogy of the 'experienced' boy against the 'experienced' girl:

"If a key can unlock a bunch of locks, it's seen as a master key, and is awesome to have. But if a lock is opened by a lot of different keys, well that's a pretty shitty lock if you ask me...".

Nothing to do with mileage on my GT - but I thought I'd share it! :biggrin

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
My 06 with 24000 runs as good as my other did at 5000 miles on it.

I can say the same thing about my 05 with 62000 miles on her!

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
:lol

Very good.

I recall a while ago being given the analogy of the 'experienced' boy against the 'experienced' girl:

"If a key can unlock a bunch of locks, it's seen as a master key, and is awesome to have. But if a lock is opened by a lot of different keys, well that's a pretty shitty lock if you ask me...".

Nothing to do with mileage on my GT - but I thought I'd share it! :biggrin

Love it!!!:cheers:thumbsup:wink

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
This post makes me want to go drive mine right now

Steve

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
This thread makes me want to go drive mine right now

Steve

GEE-TEE

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 1, 2009
Calabasas, California
Soroush,

you really hae 62K on your car? I commend you dude. I love that. You must not be married. I think a FGT with more miles is far better tan the ones with 300 miles on them!!! Hey if I ever see a FGT on EBAY with like 70K miles on it I would love it and would consider it.

ARe you ever gonna make it to Los ANgeles?

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
Only in the world of FGTs is a 6000 mile car considered a high mileage car by some. I guess thats a carry over attitude when guys were lusting after cars still in the wrapper. Fact is a car with 6000 miles is still nearly a new car and probably just getting broken in.

Guys with an FGT in the wrapper paid a premium for a car they can't use or enjoy. Its not only a shame they can't enjoy the car its a shame for the car since sitting with no use is the worst thing for it.

These cars were meant to be driven. To let one of these thoroughbreds just sit and waste away without regular use and exercise is a shame.

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
So help a new guy out here.

It seems there is a shelf near 10k miles that hurts the value of the car.

I drive a 3rd car about 1000 miles a year. So should I buy a 10k car that has already taken the hit or spend more on a 2k mile car knowing I will make it back on resale?

Id probably keep the car 4-5 years.

Thanks!

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
My quick formula//////and no one else's, just food for thought.

Depreciation seems to be at $2.00 per smile. So a 2K mile car is worth X. A 10K mile car is worth X-$16,000. Assuming condition remains relatively the same of course. After 10K miles the depreciation slows. I would say $1.00 from 10K to 20K. Then gradually tapering less and less. In no event am I aware of a sale of a GT for less than 110K that hasn't been wrecked or some serious negative story. Bottom line that I would do....buy the nicest car, at the lowest price with the least miles you can. Most likely it will not be a solid black or a Heritage. Red and white seem the better buys.

Clearly this is just IMO....and opinions are like assholes....everybody has one.

2K mile red or white 145-150
10K mile 130-135
20K mile 120-125

Never below 100K in good condition with no damage and a clean title. .

Last edited:

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
Okay, I am not afraid of miles and I have not bought a car "new" since I was 20. Always go for 2-4 years old. Let the other guy take the big depreciation hit.....except in GT's of course which are holding their value remarkably well. :thumbsup

When I bought my GT I looked at three and two were almost the exact mileage (2,200-2,500). One had a whipple, bald tires, the trunk liner was removed along with all the stuff that was in there and was in storage somewhere (why I have no idea), it was dirty and the owner regaled me with tales of street racing his buddies SLR and blowing him away.

The other one had a bit fewer miles and the guy took me on a nice mellow ride going through all the gears and not trying to "impress" me. The car was spotless and obviously well cared for. Guess which one I bought. :lol

Now I don't think running a GT on a track or at events devalues it as long as the owner takes care of the car. I love to drive period. While I respect guys who collect and don't drive, any art I have will be on the wall. :cheers

Doctr V

GT Owner
Mar 16, 2010
Pennsylvania
My quick formula//////and no one else's, just food for thought.

Depreciation seems to be at $2.00 per smile. So a 2K mile car is worth X. A 10K mile car is worth X-$16,000. Assuming condition remains relatively the same of course. After 10K miles the depreciation slows. I would say $1.00 from 10K to 20K. Then gradually tapering less and less. In no event am I aware of a sale of a GT for less than 110K that hasn't been wrecked or some serious negative story. Bottom line that I would do....buy the nicest car, at the lowest price with the least miles you can. Most likely it will not be a solid black or a Heritage. Red and white seem the better buys.

Clearly this is just IMO....and opinions are like assholes....everybody has one.

2K mile red or white 145-150
10K mile 130-135
20K mile 120-125

Never below 100K in good condition with no damage and a clean title. .

So.... the one that I am considering at a local dealer shoud be right in the ballpark. 2005 Red car, all 4 options,1 owner, 6700 miles, very clean. Asking price is 139k. Sound about right Nardo? Or too high?

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Asking price is probably about right, HOWEVER really need to have a thorough PPI done by an expert. It's real easy to have $10-20k in hidden damages.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I am a firm believer in driving your gal!
We all know of the guy who passes away and has some classic in his garage.His wife than sells it for half of what its worth!Mostly because she always hated how much he loved his cars !I am not saving my cars or my wife for the next guy !!!My stuff will all be well used !!
Having a GT not driving IT. Is like having a wife /girlfriend and not having sex with her !!
My 02

MK2_GT

GTX1 Owner
Mar 25, 2006
In retrospect I was wrong in not driving my car . It is one of the reasons I sold my GTX1, I treated it more like a piece of art and always found myself not driving it. I agree the cars are meant to be driven.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I am a firm believer in driving your gal!
We all know of the guy who passes away and has some classic in his garage.His wife than sells it for half of what its worth!Mostly because she always hated how much he loved his cars !I am not saving my cars or my wife for the next guy !!!My stuff will all be well used !!
Having a GT not driving IT. Is like having a wife /girlfriend and not having sex with her !!
My 02

Hey, I resemble that remark! See post #11 in this thread.

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
Mk2: Its ok you can stay. It will only be a matter of time before you trade up again and get another FGT!:wink

In the mean time you can be our mole and keep us up on what the wine sipping prima donna aristocrats in Modena are up to. :thumbsup

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I'm from the Nardo school of car philosophy. My white car has been with me for 5 yrs. It's been rode hard and put up wet. Despite that it always cleans up nicely. I have maintained it by the book. It has about 50 half hr sessions on the track. I've changed rotors and pads as needed (cheaper than a P or F car BTW). I'm getting less and less anal retentive about parking it at restaurants etc. As long as I can get in and out of the car, I park it and go eat. Went to dinner the last two nights and came out to folks admiring the car respectfully.
My silver no-striper gets less usage but gets to the car show scene quite a bit. Taking it to a concorso tomorrow. These cars need to be driven to prevent mechanical deterioration. The worst case of this is my 360 Challenge Stradale. Even on a trickle charger, it acts strange if not fired up regularly. The electrical system is very finicky.
Value-wise the GT will behave differently than higher number production cars like Ferrari's, Lambo's, Porsche's. There's always another model coming down the line.
They ain't making any more GT's. 15 or 20 yrs from now it won't make much difference between a 20k or 60k mile GT pricewise. These cars are a joy to drive. They bring happiness to people when taken out on the street and are driven. That's my 2 cents.