Mileage and Ford GT's

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Having had the pleasure of owning 3 Ford GT's/GTX1's, which had mileage of 1,300, 16,000 and almost 54,000 miles, I have found the most noticeable differences in these cars has been the odometer readings. My 54,000 mile car, runs and drives as good as either of the other 2, and except for the odometer, it could pass for a very, low mileage car.

The point of all of this is that although there are some valid reasons for some owners to put few or no miles on their cars, fear of wearing them out should not be a reason. In fact, there may be some operational disadvantages for cars with virtually no mileage. When one of my cars was submerged in a flood, the bright spot was the memories of the 16,000 miles, and the insurance company paid the same amount as if it had no miles.

Anyone who is not putting lots of miles on his FGT, or at least one of his FGT's, is missing out on one of life's greatest enjoyments and current and future wonderful memories. :cheers

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
:thumbsup

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Nicely said, Kirby.

Drive mine as often as I can.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
couldnt agree more:cheers

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
Anyone who is not putting lots of miles on his FGT, or at least one of his FGT's, is missing out on one of life's greatest enjoyments and current and future wonderful memories. :cheers

IMO one of the best comments ever posted on this Forum.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
100% agree.

One must use ALL toys.

I even started using my vintage car more; life is too short

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
Agreed. However, with those of us not fortunate to own more then one FGT there is always some pause in putting alot of mileage on. I drive mine nearly every weekend in the spring summer and fall. Not on long drives so to speak but at least short jaunts to my favorite coffee spot etc...so as to savor both the the occassion of the drive, the view of looking at the FGT and a great cup of joe.

I also read somewhere that the worst thing for any car is to let it sit for overly extended periods without use.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
I hear you.

I got a low mileage, pristine 06 from Shelby, and with 3 vipers was convinced she would stay in the garage with no mods--now 60 days later ---a Heffner exhaust and 1000 miles . (Vipers have been resting comfortably, however) I gota stop......

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
I can attest to the long term aspect of this equation. My car has been and is continued to be driven everywhere.

pauleddy

Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 14, 2007
Newport/Boca Grande
As a long-time collector and racer of extra-ordinary vintage and classic cars, I always subscribe to the "use-it-or-loose-it" practice. Re-commissioning a Gran Prix Bugatti or a vintage Mercedes Gullwing after they've been sitting for a couple of years in a museum is an undertaking not for the faint-of-heart and IMO, a Ford GT is no different; seals dry out, parts corrode, wiring rots and fluids turn funky. And have I mentioned animals and mildew?
Cars were created and designed primarily to be used. Enjoyment comes in many forms; gazing at your pride-and-joy day after day in the garage is O.K. but man, what a blast driving 'em! Sure keeps me young and most certainly improves my attitude!

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Not putting miles on your Ford GT is like not having sex with your Girl Friend so she'll be more desirable to her next Boy Friend.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
race track miles mean the most to me :thumbsup next month i am gonna drive my Ford GT 101 miles in 40 minutes flat for an average speed of 150 mph :cool

Bonneville 100 here i come > www.openroadracing.com

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Not putting miles on your Ford GT is like not having sex with your Girl Friend so she'll be more desirable to her next Boy Friend.

The converse is making her more experienced could inure to the next boyfriend's benefit as well.

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Paying that big "premium" for super low miles makes no sense if you are going to drive it. You can buy a car with several thousand miles for $20-30K less than a baby mile car. A car that has been sitting has a story just like one that is driven. All cars have a story. Sitting in a bubble is NOT a good story.

GFORCE

GT Owner
Jan 14, 2006
I agree

My 06 with 24000 runs as good as my other did at 5000 miles on it.

ObeyMyFast!

GT Owner's son
May 5, 2009
San Diego
Now, wheres E.P...

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Now, wheres E.P...

Hiding from the truth!

Doctr V

GT Owner
Mar 16, 2010
Pennsylvania
Great topic. As I continue my search I am trying to decide if a 2000k mile car is worth spending the extra 25k over a 6-8k mile car. There seems to be a drastic difference in price between these 2 mileages no matter the color. I do plan to put about 1000 miles on a summer so....... Im still undecided.

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Just speaking for me, I always try to be the best I can afford. And I always want a queen assuming it's been regularly started, run, maintained, etc.

But having said that, I don't see $25K difference between GTs with a 6K mile difference, assuming the same cosmetic condition and owner care.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
$25k is a LOT of cool mods, and tires, to a car you plan on driving, assuming you do not buy one with them done already....
Given the documentation here, with the HIGH mileage and virtually no issues. I would not be scared what so ever of a 6-8k mile car.

Great topic. As I continue my search I am trying to decide if a 2000k mile car is worth spending the extra 25k over a 6-8k mile car. There seems to be a drastic difference in price between these 2 mileages no matter the color. I do plan to put about 1000 miles on a summer so....... Im still undecided.