Major GTX1 Surgery...

mousecatcher

GT Owner
Jun 26, 2007
San Mateo, CA
I don't want a removable top, but I suppose I could modify a GT(with major surgery) to remove the tops of the doors, modify the roof to mimic a GTX1 top (although fixed in place), and then use this new sealing solution you are developing?

I had the exact same thought.

Except that if butterfly doors are reversible, besides not killing the value it might also be a superior solution in that it preserves the ability to get in the car quickly with a helmet.

Downside is that in a rollover you can't open the door, but it's like that stock as well. Butterfly doors are probably worse though, since with the stock doors if the car is slightly canted you can open a door, whereas that won't work with the butterfly design.

Last edited:

FLY GT40

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2006
So. Ca.
I had the exact same thought.

Except that if butterfly doors are reversible, besides not killing the value it might also be a superior solution in that it preserves the ability to get in the car quickly with a helmet.

Downside is that in a rollover you can't open the door, but it's like that stock as well. Butterfly doors are probably worse though, since with the stock doors if the car is slightly canted you can open a door, whereas that won't work with the butterfly design.

There is a photo of a heretage on its roof at La Mans on www.wreckedexotics.com and it appears that the driver had to crawl out the window. so as long as you can break out the window butterfly doors or stock it you end up a pole turtle you still have to fit through the window.:ack:shrug:driving:

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
There is a photo of a heretage on its roof at La Mans on www.wreckedexotics.com and it appears that the driver had to crawl out the window. so as long as you can break out the window butterfly doors or stock it you end up a pole turtle you still have to fit through the window.:ack:shrug:driving:

Where is the friggin photo? I gave up after looking for 10 mins.

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
Where is the friggin photo? I gave up after looking for 10 mins.

Found it in ten seconds.

http://www.wreckedexotics.com/gt40/index2.shtml

Mark06GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Just looked through those pics. Now I'm rethinking if I ever want to track my car again. :frown

Maybe EP has the right idea.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Just looked through those pics. Now I'm rethinking if I ever want to track my car again. :frown

Maybe EP has the right idea.

Aaaaaaaaah, sweet vindication! :lol

(An aside: 'Showed my wife those photos and her comment was, "Someone doesn't deserve that car." lol!)

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
I had not thought of that, but it is completely feasible.
We'd have to model a couple of seal details, but it could be done.

See how this all works out and we'll go from there.

So are we talking about cutting the top of the doors and then a way be engineered to attached top to the existing opening of the car? Why cut up the existing frame? I want that Smoky and the Bandit T-top in my GT :banana

HJP

GTX1 Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 13, 2005
Chicago
Hey Kip,

Sounds interesting, looks great. Are you doing it in all CF? You say someone is making progress on a soft top too?

Kip Ewing

CF Vendor
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 23, 2007
Suburban Detroit
GTX1 surgery

So are we talking about cutting the top of the doors and then a way be engineered to attached top to the existing opening of the car? Why cut up the existing frame? I want that Smoky and the Bandit T-top in my GT :banana

By cutting the top of the door away from the a and b pillar, you'd get the T-top effect, and the benefit of "normal doors". If you didn't cut the frame, you'd still have the restricted entry-egress of the regular GT door. Also - if you didn't cut the door frame, the resultant day light opening would be a lot smaller.

Kip Ewing

CF Vendor
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 23, 2007
Suburban Detroit
GTX1 surgery

Hey Kip,

Sounds interesting, looks great. Are you doing it in all CF? You say someone is making progress on a soft top too?

The roof will be made from carbon fiber to save weight and be stiff. We can paint and stripe them to match or leave bare carbon.

Yes - Steve Hemstock was working on a soft top. Not sure how it is going.

spyder625

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 23, 2008
Kip-1

Does this mean for people that didn't get the opportunity to get a GTX-1, we can now get a KIP-1 car??

Kip Ewing

CF Vendor
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 23, 2007
Suburban Detroit
Gtx1

Does this mean for people that didn't get the opportunity to get a GTX-1, we can now get a KIP-1 car??

That is becoming a strong possibility.
Watch this space.

spyder625

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 23, 2008
Awesome can't wait!!!! Thanks

stevo

GT Owner
May 22, 2006
Monaco
GTX Roof

Hi, Kip, nice job indeed. I hve my roof redone here in France and it's waterproof. You are right in cutting the doors ulmost to the windows level. The side gaskets must be changed too. May I see a pic of the luggage compartment ??

Kip Ewing

CF Vendor
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 23, 2007
Suburban Detroit
Luggage

Hi, Kip, nice job indeed. I hve my roof redone here in France and it's waterproof. You are right in cutting the doors ulmost to the windows level. The side gaskets must be changed too. May I see a pic of the luggage compartment ??

Greetings Stevo

Good to hear from you again!

Yes, we are tooling up new seals as part of this project.

We are close to having the luggage complete.
Most of the tooling is finished, and we have a number of sets in progress.

Photos soon!

stevo

GT Owner
May 22, 2006
Monaco
Keep me posted please !

spyder625

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 23, 2008
Any more updates on the missing roof??? :banana

Kip Ewing

CF Vendor
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 23, 2007
Suburban Detroit
More Photos

Any more updates on the missing roof??? :banana

We'll get some posted this week.
Too, busy to photograph anything this past week.

Thanks for watching!

spyder625

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 23, 2008
Just checking in to see if there has been any good progress pictures!

Kip Ewing

CF Vendor
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 23, 2007
Suburban Detroit
progress

Just checking in to see if there has been any good progress pictures!

We've been swamped.
I can get some photos up at the end of the week.