Major GTX1 Surgery...

Apr 24, 2006
I simply cannot find the words for the finished look nor could I have ever imagined the finished product. I have never seen a more beautiful GT. GTX1 owners please do not take this the wrong way, but the GTX1 was always something of a novelty to me. It looked fantastic but was never a real consideration because of its lack of finish. It looked like a concept or show car to me, not a production model. This car looks better than a standard production GT. Congratulations.

Last edited:

Kip Ewing

CF Vendor
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 23, 2007
Suburban Detroit
The other half.

Kip what's the other Half?

Seriously wonderful work you've done on the GTX1, and the other projects too.

It is a real education to all of us here on the Forum, when you get into the bolts and nuts of what and how you have approached and solved the Problem of the Day. Or night in your case.

The technical reasons for doing such and such, certainly provides we GT owners with a better understanding, and appreciation, of what went into our cars by the Design Team.

Keep it up!:cheers

The other half?
G and Ts from happy customers at the Rallies....

Thanks for the compliments, Jeff!
Cheers

Steve Woodrough

GTX1 Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 31, 2007
St. Petersburg, Florida
There is only one other guy I'd trust to install this, Shadowman....
We'd have to work out the details, but I'd trust him.

Hi Kip:

I've been following this thread since the beginning and am impressed beyong belief in the creativity and excellence of your work. Absolutely amazing! However, I want to suggest that if anyone wants to install your new roof on the east coast, you consider "trusting" Bernard Guerin here in St. Petersburg to do it. He has the engineering expertise to do any fitting work that needs to be done, and he knows as much about the X1 as anyone else, including Shadowman and Rich Brooks.

Steve

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Oooooooooooooh, HECK ya!!! :thumbsup:thumbsup

Kip Ewing

CF Vendor
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 23, 2007
Suburban Detroit
Steve's interior work

Kip,
Would you please post the photo's after the interior is back in. Steve does not have access to the forum.

On another note, I really like the new design changes in the top.:thumbsup
I will definately post photos of the interior.
Steve does great work.

This interior is really, really cool.

H

HHGT

Great work Kip. I also noticed that Red interior. Do you have any full interior pictures. I always said, my third will be Silver/Red...

Waxy

Feb 11, 2010
Calgary, AB, Canada
This thread is incredible.

I can't put into words how impressed I am at the artistry and craftsmanship that Kip and his shop are capable of, and others like them as well.

Simply put, you guys are the Michaelangelos and DaVincis of our times IMHO.

Waxy

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
:wink (Needs a Gurney Bubble) :wink

:lol

DRIVEBY

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 17, 2006
Las Vegas
I need a carbon fibre replacement for the melted plastic piece around the exhaust outlet, as my entire exhaust train is jetcoated, and hence the end pieces must be smokin hot when I drive her like I stole her (like on the track) and i dont want to end up in smoke....:rofl

Try this ... it's where I got mine:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford...s?hash=item3c9a470c8f&_trksid=p4506.m20.l1116

Kip Ewing

CF Vendor
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 23, 2007
Suburban Detroit
Door cap tools

Today we made the tools for the door caps.

The original plan was to do cavity molds with a male and female side.
After studying the final geomerty of the patterns, I decided it was just too risky to do it that way, due to the fact the parts have a good deal of 'die-lock'. We opted to do a single sided tool out of silicone. It will take a little longer to make the parts, but it will be more fool-proof.

The first step is to model the surface of the tool that extends off of the pattern.

Essentially, we have to extend the surfaces of the pattern. After that, we build a box around the pattern to contain the silicone.

The other thing we need to do is determine the volume of silicone to fill the box with. The silicone we use is pretty darn expensive, so I don't want to waste any. Likewise, mixing too little is a bit of a disaster...
We fill the box with rice, dump it into a cup and thus can measure the volume of silicone required. It is essentially the opposite of what Archimedes did to measure the volume of the king's crown (that was the story, wasn't it?) Instead of measuring the part, we are measuring the volume of the area around it.

After mixing the silicone, we have to de-gas it. Any gas bubbles in the silicone could attach to the surface of the pattern and make for a poor mold. To de-gas the silicone, we put the mixed silicone into our vacuum chamber and suck all the air out of the mix.

Once the silicone is de-gassed, we now pour it into the box. The trick here is to start pouring into the lowest part of the tool. This way, any air that might be left has a chance to rise to the surface.

Here's the pattern and box after the pour. You can barely see the master model submerged under the silicone. This will take a good 12 hours or more to fully cure. After that, we dig out the clay and master model and can lay-up a carbon part.

While the cap tools are curing, I surfaced the rear window pattern. Now that the roof panel is finished and we have the hardware on it, we can fit it to the car and finish the window surface.

Here's the roof. Primed with the rear window pattern fit to the roof.
Next step is to make the tool to form the rear window.

Kip Ewing

CF Vendor
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 23, 2007
Suburban Detroit
GTX1 roof - now in carbon!

First of all: thanks for all the compliments!

Loads of late nights lately (well, I did step out to go to the Joan Jett concert with Emily! Great show!) so I appreciate it!

Anyway - we did make the carbon parts for the exterior skin and inner panel for the roof. The parts just turned out great. We used 6 layers of carbon with a sandwiched core. It is soooo still and light!

Here's the exterior skin -

With the exterior skin out of the production tool, we used this to master the sealing surfaces and structure. Everything I posted earlier on this topic showed these surfaces in MDF which was only good for mock-up and validating the design concepts.

Here's a couple pictures of the mastered inner surfaces -

With the surfaces patterned this way, we can fully validate latch performance and fit.

Once we had confidence in the inner panel, we made the mold in the same process as I showed for the exterior panel.

Once the tool was finished, we can now pack the tool with carbon fiber.
With the infusion process we use, we use a light adhesive to position the carbon into the tool.

Unfortunately, I didn't get any photos of us bagging the tool and infusing the resin. Got distracted....

Here's a couple pics of the assembled panel with the rear window pattern in place.

Tomorrow - finish the casting patterns for the header latches, bond the inner and outer panel together, etc. etc.....................................................

Kip Ewing

CF Vendor
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 23, 2007
Suburban Detroit
GTX1 major surgery

Thanks Kirby

I am really happy with the direction it is taking.
I am doing the seal planes to the glass, at the moment.

Ready to get this one finished!

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Great to see a skilled person salvaging a good idea.

kjslider

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 1, 2006
socal
^The price isn't bad news it is good news. I hope Kip gets a lot of good business from all his effort.

I'm a satisfied customer of his products and will undoubtedly be in line for this latest creation.

Great job Kip and team.:thumbsup

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
looks great kip!:thumbsup

Kip Ewing

CF Vendor
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 23, 2007
Suburban Detroit
Seal Development

Work continues on the GTX1 hard top.

The one thing we could not complete before the Rally was the sealing system.
This is a pretty involved pattern making task, and is the last thing to do.
All of the prior design work was in consideration of providing for sufficient volume for the seals, allowing for a smooth transition off the glass onto the door frame, etc. etc.

The process I am familiar with is to model the seals as a hard model first.
This is a bit of a black art, as you have to model a hard part and shape it so that it will compress when it is made out of rubber.

As noted before, there are only two things you can do with sealing systems:
1) try to seal water out
2) manage where it goes when it does leak.

The design for these seals uses a technique where any water that leaks past is directed through an internal gutter and drained through the seal.
This is the only way to do this, since the seal has to transition off the glass onto the door frame.

This image is of the "mucket" that is at the a-pillar. While it is black, it isn't yet rubber. This is a hard model that was painted black.

The blue features are keyed to align the molded detail to the Mustang window seal I am using.

Here, you can see how the molded detail aligns to the Mustang seal.

In this image, you can see how the Mustang seal has a drain channel that aligns to the internal drain channel of the new molded detail.

This last picture shows how the seal matches up to the geometry of the door caps.

This is a load of pattern-making work.
I had six details like this to sculpt for the whole roof!

Once the patterns are all finished, we make molds in a similar way to the door caps.
We'll cover that in the next post.

MK2_GT

GTX1 Owner
Mar 25, 2006
Cool Kip, I can't wait to see it

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
A forum member abolfaz in Florida made this a year or two ago.
I got one of the first run and get many comments on them as well as the Derry lug nuts.

I stay away from Kips house just in case he is lurking with a sawsall in his hand.:lol

Nice work Kip but we don't expect anything less from you:thumbsup

Last edited:

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I now know that being as smart as look does hold true !

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
FYI, Archimedes measured density: Density (d)=Mass(m)/Volume (v). The king wanted to know if his crown was solid gold or not.