...looks like I need a trailer

Big Jim

GT Owner
Oct 24, 2019
Hello All. New to the forum but have been lurking. A few months ago a buddy of mine, Honest Jack, and I were playing hooky from work. Fishing actually. In the afternoon, he looked at his phone and I thought he was going to kiss me. He got the email... I wondered when my rejection email would come (naturally). So...about 5 minutes later I got the email. We couldn’t believe we both were accepted. We drank adequately and smoked some cigars. Crazy fun day. And I am on the wait.

I have a question. His car was delivered and the dealer transported it in an enclosed trailer (not a Jimglo) with a Rail Ryder loading system. I thought it was brilliant. Easy load with engine in first. The odds of damage are very low. Does anyone use a rail Ryder system with their ngt? Honest bought a Jimglo. It’s nice but I am thinking about the trailer system Sam Pack Ford uses. Any ideas? The concierge can only recommend their promulgated trailers. Thanks. JIM

Biginch Blake

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 4, 2008
Rockville, Indiana
Congratulations, what a roller coaster ride. As for the trailer I looked at the Rail Rider trailer a couple years ago. They are have a great system, they loaned and unloaded a car a couple times (they had it set up at PRI). They are good but cost $38,000+.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
As I load my GT's in "normal" trailers, so Im used to, and I guess OK with ~1-2" tolerances on each side (for now). Ive also now loaded into the dealer Jimglow. The large escape door would be plenty good enough upgrade over what I currently do (especially considering the upgrade cost). If your building a new trailer, if you go with the rail rider, you would be able to flush in the tracks (vs raised in a retrofit). Even with the rail rider, you will still have to carefully line up the car to get it in. When shopping for a trailer, you might want to take a look at inTech,

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
Congratulations and welcome to the forum. I have an ATC trailer but no track system. It would be nice to have the track for the reasons you mention.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Loaded a new GT in a trailer using RR and for whatever reason the transmission became upset. Mysteries of the universe. I think it's cool, but honestly, with a spotter and one of these super wide trailers with a driver side flip up door, I don't really see the need.

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
+1
Like Chip, we had our current trailer fenders modified for extra fender clearance but find it much easier loading and unloading the NFGT than the 05/06 GT. The front lift is awesome and makes getting the front over tire straps on a breeze. You can also put it in rain mode for easier throttle response if you are driving it in.

Reactions: THamonGT

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Its hard to imagine someone having loaded and unloaded more GTs from an enclosed trailer than we have in the last 13+ years. We always put the GT at or just on the trailer ramp, connect it to the winch, insure the GT is in neutral with drivers window down (access to steering wheel) and then just use the remote winch control to slowly (winches don't go fast, lol) pull it into the trailer. Minute steering wheel input may be needed... easy as pie, and you can stand or position yourself anywhere with the remote switch to make sure mirrors and tires are clearing any obstacles. So incredibly easy, fast, and safe. Unloading is just a reversal of the loading steps.

The key is in setting up the trailer. A reliable winch (preferably with rope instead of steel) and a remote makes things easier. It's always best for both loading and unloading to have the front of the trailer a tad higher than the rear. Sometimes we induce that slope by using the electric tongue jack, but most often we get it right in selecting a loading orientation.

It would scare the wits out of me to drive a GT into a trailer - I applaud those of you that do. For us, slowly winching the GT in/out is both easy and safe and, knock on wood, with several hundred load/unloads, we never had any kind of incident.

The aforementioned RR system allows you to tie-down the car before pulling it in, and that is a genuine convenience but simply not worth the added cost and complexity. For the GT's, we always use the over-the-tire straps that never touch any part of the car or rim.

Reactions: GEE-TEE and Apollo

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Your method and system is awesome!
We are always so grateful for you showing and helping us set up our trailer. For what it's worth, we always winch the 05/06 GTs. We are finding it easy and safe to drive in the NFGT with DCT. Unless we're using the neutral lever, we keep the engine running anyway for hydraulic lift. Monica is easily able to step out the driver's window without issue, must be all that practice with race cars lol.

Reactions: GEE-TEE

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Check out the Intech wide body trailer
Not just as it rooming but pulling it is a sheer joy

Reactions: tpraceman

JWZ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 17, 2013
Texas
Congratulations y’all!
Dale installed his Rail Ryder system in my old Featherlight aluminum Gooseneck trailer. I hauled a GT350R for a friend. It was very easy for this old man to load & unload! Haha! Looks like I’ll probably use it for another GT350R before the new GT gets a ride in it. Highly recommend RR!!

Big Jim

GT Owner
Oct 24, 2019
Many thanks for all the input. I’m still on the fence and need to call the dealer and speak with the GT manager. He at this point has likely loaded with the rr many times now (we are in Dfw). I’ll report back.

Many things to work out yet; color not the least of which. One other question is wrapping. Interestingly, a wrap installer has installed several ngt full wraps but will not touch it to remove the system if and when necessary. Has to do with the carbon fiber and quality of the paint job. Begs the question what is essential. Clearly several panels are necessary.

Big Jim

GT Owner
Oct 24, 2019
Jwz, also, what is the width between your feather lite wheel wells? Jimglo is 83 inches.

JWZ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 17, 2013
Texas
Jwz, also, what is the width between your feather lite wheel wells? Jimglo is 83 inches.

81” well to well.
GT tires are 78-78.5” OS.

My GT has been for a few rides in a couple of Jimglos. Those are nice!
Just had this old Featherlight trailer.......

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I’ve got a JimGlo. Loading, strap down, and unloading is a piece of cake.

Reactions: john gourley

Iconic GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 30, 2017
New Braunfels, Texas
I looked at both this system at Barrett Jackson in Scottsdale.. really cool... I also looked at the JIMGLOS. I decided not to go with JIMGLO for the mere fact there is no dealer network. You need to pick it up in AZ and if any issues in the future it has to go back to AZ.

Here is the trailer I bought. This company is famous for making $150,000 horse transporters. They are located in Oklahoma and have a dealer in Waco I'm from Texas too) with a larger dealer network across the USA.

The trailer is nearly Identical to the JIMGLO. all aluminum, Big side door, extended ramp, spread axle spare tire, LED lighting and more... I had an extra remote wich and installed and like others winch in (with motor running for power steering) Priced less than a JIMGLO too!

http://www.sundownertrailer.com/tlr-RaceSeries.html

Best of luck!

Reactions: SPI

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Happy with my inTech widebody.
Bought the trailer for the RR but didn't want the system in it so I can use it for other things.

Note its not simple to winch the new GT'S I forgot but you have to go through many steps to exit and keep it in N and front lift up and auto E Brake off.

Attachments

• 20190804_011815.jpg
    20190804_011815.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 46

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Yes, I would not routinely winch in a new GT in neutral. Stay-in-neutral mode for a DCT requires a number of steps and it's so easy to just do with the slightest preparation that I wouldn't bother messing with a winch (also being an electronics skeptic). Having loaded new GTs in and out of trailers oh, at least 100 times at this point, get a decent trailer, a spotter, put it in Wet, and just carefully crawl forward. I don't even think I touched the throttle once loading a car Friday.

This is just my experience loading the new GT specifically in and out of trailers in every scenario imaginable. I have done Jimglo (incredibly easy), ATC, Reliable trucks, various other big rigs, single car enclosed with no side door(barf), etc. I got the pleasure of loading a GT on the top rack of a Reliable carrier with a Ram Power Wagon beneath it. Ask me how excited I was to climb out the window of that thing with a couple inches of clearance above the roof.

Friday

5B8052B6-9E7E-4FB5-B63D-24C2B90A6959.jpeg

Saturday

Last edited:

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
On the JIMGLO, does the fender have to come off for door clearance, or is that just out of caution?

View attachment 58259

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I honestly don't even know (I do not own one). Whenever we load into a Jimglo, it's so easy to pull the fender that we just do it regardless. It's just two knobs. Takes 30 seconds to remove, and you can swing the door to your hearts content with a vast gulf of space available.

lc2006

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 10, 2011
Centreville, Delaware
FWIW, I trailered my 2020 Ford GT for the first time yesterday. I had to move the GT 55 miles to the shop that will install the PPF.

I have a new trailer that is currently being assembled... a Sundowner that is nearly identical to the Jimglo, excepting that it is 100% aluminum; other than the axles. Unfortunately, the Sundowner will not complete assembly until next Monday, so I had to use my 1999 24' Gold Rush trailer to move my GT.

In preparation for the move, I installed Versa Track on the floor of the Gold Rush which allowed me to use over-the-tire tie-down straps to secure the GT. The Gold Rush has an escape door, but it is not configured in a manner that allows the GT's door to open. Because the width of the Gold Rush at the fenders is 81", I elected to winch the GT into the trailer using the GT's Stay in Neutral Mode. Stay in Neutral Mode is on a 30 minute timer, so I had loads of time to get the GT positioned inside of the trailer.

L0054 measures exactly 79" wide, giving me only 1" of trailer fender clearance on each side of the GT. Although the 55 mile drive was a bit unnerving for me, the GT did not shift even a fraction of an inch during the trip and it arrived at my destination in perfect condition.

In order to get L0054 out of the trailer, I reattached the winch cable, detached all of the tie-down straps, leaned in the open driver side window, pushed on the brake pedal with a short rod, pushed the start button with another small rod, turned the transmission selector to the Neutral position, pushed the Manual (M) button to reactivate the Stay in Neutral Mode, shut the GT off, and winched it out of the trailer.

Although the 1" of clearance between my trailer's fenders and my GT was quite unnerving, the entire process of moving the GT was rather easy and straightforward.

20200224_121931.jpg20200224_122046.jpg20200224_123843.jpg20200224_123803.jpg

Reactions: JWZ and Ed Sims