looking a getting a Ford GT

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Tungston, White or Black was what I was conidering.. just liked the history and condition of the White one the best.. Shelby is a very good guy to deal with.. can't wait for spring..

Tungsten was my #1 choice but when the opportunity for a low miles Heritage came up I couldn't say no. Now I just have to wait for spring too. :)

Congrats on your choice. You won't regret it.

topshot

GT Owner
Feb 6, 2012
Metro Detroit, MIchigan
Heritage would be my first,, just they seem to bring the most......

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Do a class. Another good suggestion from today's posts was to take it out on some back roads with hills to get a feel. Don't forget that these cars with these tires on cold pavement can be (no, are) really twitchy.

Bottom line is there is no other car that has an exhilaration factor >10.0 (except maybe a real GT40 or Shelby Cobra CSX3xxxx) that will raise the heckles on the back of your neck. Enjoy but treat it with respect.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Heritage would be my first,, just they seem to bring the most......

Yeah, they're more $$$ up front, but, that extra money doesn't guarantee you'll get proportionally more down the road. If you're going to mod your car, 'makes more 'cents' (sorry!) to save the $$$ on the purchase price and 'invest' the diff on goodies - especially if you intend to put a lot of miles on the rig.

Just my $0.02.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
For you newbies who want some cool insight in to the build process at the Wixom Plant .
Our own "GT tech" (forum name) Rich Robach doing the interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqfMy4LN2Ss

For the newbies
There are many great mods you can do to your Gt
Cosmetic ones that I like are ;
The stillen splash guards are a must .These will save your lower rockers front and rear
Project 321 .The door sills replacements.The radiator ,oii and dip stick caps.These are very nice and compliment the car nicely .Mine faded and they replaced them ! A good company.
The billet clam shell vents .These look so good you don't know that they are not stock.Very functional as the the stock ones can wrap.
The hot buttons or the real deal done by Steve Hemstock of Knights automotive.He actually sews them in and is truly a master craftsman when it comes to interiors.He did all the gtx1 interior mods .A very nice guy as well.
Functional mods .This depends on your budget and how you are going to use the car.
Pulley and tune is the best bang for your buck.
BUT YOU MUST GET YOUR CAR TUNED ON A DYNO !!!!NO IF ANDS OR BUTTS ABOUT IT! Anything else may hurt your gal .
Remove the air exiting grill and get front gurney lip from Bob Ida.He does the mod very well.so you can put them back on when not on the track .I leave mine off all the time .Looks cool to me !
Make your brake ducts functional .This is a big job but can be done by Rich and Dennis of the Gt GUYS .These 2 are top notch in anything related to a Ford Gt.Also Bob Ida is also top notch.He does great dyno work. Brake ducts and cooling mods a must if you track your car.
The clam shell lever made by the Gt guys
This is a must!This lets you open the clam shell in one easy step This is really one of my favorites
The little rubber piece that sits in front of the shifter and under the radio .This holds your cell phone nicely.Advertised on the forum
The famous cup holders made by Brian (Stormcat ) very cool and functional .
Tranny cooler ,if you track your car!
Short throw shifter is real nice and very functional.
Penske T&A shocks .My choice is the single adjustable (rebound and damping) with no remote res. to mess with.You can make it soft for street use .Than adjust them for race car performance for the track .Alex is the man !!!313-600 -5383
Get RID OF YOUR STOCK MUFFLER ! Heavy right where you don't want it ,in the rear! And way to quiet.
Rear bumper delete .This is just beautiful !!! Gives you the nicest ass in town !!! A must have !I find myself opening the garage door just to look at her backside!!
Brembo racing rotors .Another must have if you track the car hard.
Carbotech xp 20's brake pads for the front XP 16's for the rear .Minimal brake dust and no heat soak issues.These pads are awesome!Nothing comes close !
Castrol dot 4 brake fluid or super blue .Also use this for your clutch.
If you ever need to replace your clutch .Go with the Stillen .I'm very happy with it.
Take your wipers off.The car looks so much better from the inside and outside.Leave the wipers in your trunk.
Clear bra every leading edge .Do behind the front and rear wheel arches and the whole rocker on your GT
Ok thats my list of personal mods
Feel free to add your favorites
ITS THE ONE !
DRIVE HER !
See you at the rally!!!
Also did Kip Ewings center console storage bin
OH ya did the mac relocationThis one is nice because you get the storage piece that comes with the non mac cars .The sub woofer goes behind the passenger seat and the amp goes behind the drivers seat .
You can do a search on the forum for more details on all these upgrades /changes

Last edited:

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Wow, that was a great post Ron. Thanks for taking the time to write that. I think it's a 5-Star writeup as I have almost every mod you listed!! (plus just a couple more)

Chip

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Ron you must really like the Stillen's map flaps and short throw shifter, you did/listed them twice. :lol

I have both of those myself. When I go over some gravel I smile instead of frown. :biggrin

KDO GT

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2008
Hollywood MD
Great choice in color and who you bought it from. Shelby is the best bussiness out there in that line work.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Clinton,
Thats called not proof reading! Ok fixed!

topshot

GT Owner
Feb 6, 2012
Metro Detroit, MIchigan
Should have it this week, did the tune, clear bra and exhaust, now I am really getting excited, looking forward to the arrival. Will post my first drive experience, once the weather allows.

Lorenzo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2008
U.S.A.
Congratz on the purchase, You have nothing to worry about with Shelby, Be careful getting to know your new car.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Watch your head!!!!:facepalm::bang

jokerboat

GT Owner
Apr 19, 2011
Fort Worth, Texas
Congrats on the new toy !!!!!!!

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
Watch your head!!!!:facepalm::bang
We should start a poll around here to see how many have smashed their heads getting in and out of the car. I had a buddy who didn't listen to me and hit his head so hard, he went down - out cold. LOL

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
We should start a poll around here to see how many have smashed their heads getting in and out of the car. I had a buddy who didn't listen to me and hit his head so hard, he went down - out cold. LOL
I've hit mine twice, you don't forget!!! I warned an associate of mine, both before he got in the car, and before he got out. He's not tall (5'5"), but on the way out, he hit his head so hard, he was bleeding. He won't forget again!!!!

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
Should have it this week, did the tune, clear bra and exhaust, now I am really getting excited, looking forward to the arrival. Will post my first drive experience, once the weather allows.

What was the before and after with the dyno tune and did you do a pulley as well?
Thnx
Bill

topshot

GT Owner
Feb 6, 2012
Metro Detroit, MIchigan
Well the day finally came and I received the White 2006 GT from Shelby today..... Just as promised.. Perfect car, perfect transaction, a very pleasant experience. First class all the way... As for the GTs , well ...... Wow .... What a fantastic ride.

Kurt

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Perfect day to get it delivered. Great weather for a ride.

topshot

GT Owner
Feb 6, 2012
Metro Detroit, MIchigan
So, I logged in 300 miles yesterday.. the first time I ever drove a GT... I have a ZR1, and a SL600 - V12. For comparison, the GT has no room, no gadgets, no sat, no NAV, doesn't even have a cup holder.. no room for the cell phone, and terible on gas...hard to get in and out... that being said... IT IS BY FAR MY FAVORITE CAR..... WOW - while it might not be much faster than the ZR1,, it is just a great driving experiance. As for the curb appeal - forget about it,, at least ten people gave the old thumbs up.. and it truely is a classic.. If I need a cup holder, sat, nav or other gadgets I will just drive the SUV... if I want to go for a Drive... the GT will be my first choice....

I am planning on attending the Rally...

look forward to meeting other GT drivers on the road...
Thanks
Kurt

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
300 miles on the first day! Nice!