looking a getting a Ford GT

topshot

GT Owner
Feb 6, 2012
Metro Detroit, MIchigan
I am considering getting a Ford GT, what should I be looking for, I plan on driving the car 3-5k per year.

question, I have seen a few twin turbo's are the worth getting? does it matter if it is a 2005 or 2006? Looking for a car with under 10k in miles. what should I exspect to pay? where are the best places to look for a car.

thanks

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
Shelby has a Heffner 1000 HP TT GT on E-bay right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HEFF...7736822?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item1c23aeb676

He's probably the most trusted seller around here, if you're looking for exotics, and especially GT's. He is the largest volume GT reseller in the world. Many of us have bought 1 or more GT's from him and I don't think you'll find anyone here who has anything except great things to say about him, or how he transacts. He is also the guy to speak to if you're interested in doing any sort of work on your GT. Chances are that he's already done it. TT's are sickly fast, and from what I know, very reliable...but it depends on what you want to do with the car.

These cars don't need much more than a pulley/tune and exhaust to get 100+ more HP...and even in stock trim, are very very quick and fast!

Call him out here and he will respond to you...or PM him.

I have purchased 2 GT's from him sight unseen in the past year. Each car was perfect and exactly what he had described...if not better.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

Wow, that is a good price. It would be tough to find a stock car (let alone black) and upgrade it like that and not spend $20,000 more in the process

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
No matter what year FGT you decide on, or what mods/upgrades it does or doesn't have, be sure to get a PPI done on the car by a FGT expert before you hand over a DIME. Doing that could save you huge bucks down the road. :cheers

("PPI" = pre purchase inspection)

(Edit: 'Just noticed the e-bay ad 2112 posted above. If you buy a car from Elite, the PPI will have already been done!)

Last edited:

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
Fastest ones are yellow.........
Just so you know.

topshot

GT Owner
Feb 6, 2012
Metro Detroit, MIchigan
I am leaning to a completly stock un-molested with under 10k in miles.... not sure I need to make the car any faster for street use, as I track a ZR1....

I am also interested in a Ford GT Driving School,,,

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
We have a white 2006 coming in over the weekend. 3k miles, all options, 1 owner. Give me a call if interested

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

Here's my story on driving school. Take the Bondurant 4 day class (www.bondurant.com). You will be forced to drive three days in the sucky Corvettes. They are nice cars and fun on the track but my car had about 4000 miles and was falling apart. OK, rode hard and put up wet but I would expect the door panels to not fall off.

That aside, the last day of the 4 days is in these totally awesome little Formula Mazdas. These are the most awesome little cars you will ever drive, similar to an Ariel Atom except scaled down but wickedly fast for their size. And they got no nannies. The Corvettes have stability control and traction control to keep you save. The Mazdas are 1/2 the size but nothing to keep you from screwing up (like the GT).

After that class you can get a regional SCCA card as it is an accredited class that lets you go without instructor screening.

OK, so do that then do the advanced class. On that one you can bring your own car. It was my plan to do the advanced class this spring but the job situation and a Grand Canyon rafting trip are taking precedence. Their recommendation of the advanced class, with a huge amount of 1:1 instruction, is that you can drive your own car. For instruction you have to have harnesses on the passenger side. But their recommendation is to drive yours on the last day and go through their consumables - brakes and tires.

Miller Motorsports (Salt Lake) has a similar class setup.

At Bondurant when I was at the Barrett Jackson auction their lead instructor told me it was my gig. The advanced class is very much 1:1, and they will do what you want. If you want to practice oversteer recovery they will have you on the skid pad. I'll tell you from my first class you can practice heel-toe downshift for as long as you want. The advanced class uses the big track at Firebird raceway in Chandler, AZ.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
I am leaning to a completly stock un-molested with under 10k in miles.... not sure I need to make the car any faster for street use, as I track a ZR1....

Top Shot, where are you located?? You might get more recommendations based on your locale.

If you are near the SoCal area, I recommend Danny McKeever who owns the driving school at Willow Springs in Rosamond. I took a private lesson with him on the Streets of Willow track, about 6 hours, just he and I on the track. Priceless.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
White IS THE COLOR!! Go for the white one from Shelby...you'll never look back. To get it as fast as the C6 ZR1...you only need to add a pipe/tune and pully...then you have 10's...nice for the street...and it should make higher close to 700 HP....more than the stock ZR1! Rumor has it that the stock motor makes more than the 550 rated. :) All relatively cheap upgrades too...

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Save some money & get a higher mileage one. If you plan on driving it you don't need low mileage. I have seen cars with higher mileage in way better condition than lower mileage ones. The engines aren't even broken in at 25,000 miles!

Ed

topshot

GT Owner
Feb 6, 2012
Metro Detroit, MIchigan
well, pulled the trigger on the White one from Shelby,, should have it in a week or so.... looking forward to having such a wonderful car

gtforme

GT Owner
Apr 12, 2009
It seems that GTs just keep selling good , I have also noted the white ones dont seem to last long , nice color if you ask me

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
well, pulled the trigger on the White one from Shelby,, should have it in a week or so.... looking forward to having such a wonderful car

Congrats, t.s.!

(Remember these key things: open the door(s) a full 90* before getting in/out...be sure the car's in low gear, not third, when starting out...and always take an END parking place [one that leaves the driver's door clear]!) :biggrin :cheers

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Congrats!! White IS the best color.

topshot

GT Owner
Feb 6, 2012
Metro Detroit, MIchigan
Tungston, White or Black was what I was conidering.. just liked the history and condition of the White one the best.. Shelby is a very good guy to deal with.. can't wait for spring..

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Congrats! You could not have picked a better dealer to buy from, you will indeed be impressed with your new car. The waiting will be the hardest part......

Take some time to learn the car and its handling dynamics. Listen to others here that tell you about cold tires and fast throttle changes in second. It is NOT your ZR1. Very different creature. ENJOY!

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
You've made a few very good choices; White is the fastest/best color, Shelby is a class act and stands out amongst car dealers, this forum is tops, and if the roads are clear and dry, the temp is above 50 degrees, go for a "get to know you" ride!!!
I spent a few hours waxing my car, getting ready for one of the 50 + degree days to take some air out of the tires (overinflate for winter storage), go through the "start" procedure, and put a smile back on my face!!!!

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
Congrats....welcome to the team

H

HHGT

Congrats and welcome.