Northern California
Good video!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
'Loved Jay's comment regarding his being 'ticked off' about buying his FGT only to see a Mustang out-horsepower it a couple years later!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Jay Leno's new Fords

I am so jealous Jamel got to go to the car gods garage!
2013 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 & Boss 302
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLZdKnDAMnE&feature=player_embedded

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
Totally Jealous!

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
'Loved Jay's comment regarding his being 'ticked off' about buying his FGT only to see a Mustang out-horsepower it a couple years later!

Apparently Jay is not familiar with 'lessons learned'.

One can safely assume that the new 5.8L was developed in conjunction with experience gained from the GT - now about 10 years worth - and new technology. That and tire technology will get you 200 mph.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
The top speed of a stock FGT is limited 205 in the tune, 212 at Nardo. What does a stock 2013 GT500 do?

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
I'd imagine that 5.8 has plenty left in it to uncork -- would be a breeze with bolt on's to get another several hundred ponies too!

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
I'd imagine that 5.8 has plenty left in it to uncork -- would be a breeze with bolt on's to get another several hundred ponies too!

All over that.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

Speaking as a non-engineering dunce, the plasma coating on the cylinders in place of 'sleeves bothers me. I'd rather see the 'sleeves...especially if one is going to "add several hundred ponies".

'Guess I'm just too darned 'old school'... :frown

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
I merged these two threads as they contained the same video.

Chip

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Speaking as a non-engineering dunce, the plasma coating on the cylinders in place of 'sleeves bothers me. I'd rather see the 'sleeves...especially if one is going to "add several hundred ponies".

'Guess I'm just too darned 'old school'... :frown

Same process as on our GT motors..cylinder liner sleeves with flame spread plasma coating. Added hp not an issue.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I merged these two threads as they contained the same video.

Chip
Sorry about the double post! I am hardly computer savvy! Can you tell?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Same process as on our GT motors..cylinder liner sleeves with flame spread plasma coating. Added hp not an issue.

??? At about 5:50 the vid, didn't Jamal say, "...we don't have the steel liners in this aluminum block...we've got the plasma spray coating"? I interpreted that as meaning the sleeves are gone on the 5.8...which in turn conjured up the image of a '21st century Vega' to me. :willy

Dang. I guess I'm not only old...I'm 'slow' too...:facepalm:

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
You are correct Pockets..the sleeves are gone, gone, gone. The plasma spray is directly onto the aluminum bore. A new process, but I have it on my 2011 MustangShelbyGT500 as the first application. In 2011 the 5.4 L in the ShelbyGT500 Mustang was first to get the all-alum. block with the spray plasma. I reviewed with several of the FordManufacturing and Powertrain folks and I trust them...it is very well proven out...

ajb (andy)

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Jamal has a good job.

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Jamal has a good job.

Likely because he does a great job.

I loved his admission that he's been a car guy from the get go, playing with toy cars longer than he probably should have!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I reviewed with several of the FordManufacturing and Powertrain folks and I trust them...it is very well proven out...

ajb (andy)

I hope so, but, I just can't get the 'Vega' thing out of my head with regard to the spray process. 'Can't wrap what I use for a brain around how plasma spray (or any spray for that matter) can stand up to the expansion/contraction/pressure cycles in the cyls and keep clearances 'constant' throughout. I'd still want the steel sleeves myself (like I said, I'm old school")! :willy

Buuuuuuuut, the spray must work. If it didn't, we darn sure ought to know by now!

Thanks, Andy.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
... I just can't get the 'Vega' thing out of my head ...

Back in 1976 I worked at DEC and got a company car. We got to choose, sort of. A co-worker had a Vega and it died very soon after he got it. Another co-worker ordered the new Vega (perhaps, not knowing of the impending doom of the first one). He got a different job and I got assigned his car. It was a station wagon and had the "new and improved" engine. I beat the snot out of it (it was a company car!!!) and never had any issues. When I left I bought it for cheap, and we drove it for 4 more years, no issues.

I think the industry has learned about aluminum blocks by now. I trust Ford on this one.

The video is cool - note the Ford GT, Cobra and original GT350 lurking in the background. And how he was miffed that Ford came out with a Mustang that was faster than the GT.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
My only take is when the cylinders eventually get out of round and a bore is needed, it is not available. The whole engine block must be replaced.

Whereas, steel liner sleeves, as in our GTs, can be replaced and bring the block back to a new condition. I find this more satisfying, especially because our engines will no longer be available when the replacement time comes. Just MHO.

...And how he was miffed that Ford came out with a Mustang that was faster than the GT.

With a couple of mods, I think the GT could easily come out on top.

Last edited: