I've done the unthinkable

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Well I traded my GT for a Audi R8 from Shelby (Elite). The car is fine, but of course isn't in the same league as the GT.

So why? I wasn't driving the GT enough to own it, it was just too perfect. So in comes the Audi. I have several car projects going, but I told Shelby I would entertain another GT with some mileage and one with a few warts. This way I wouldn't need to call ahead for a parking reservation. For those of you that are not so encumbered I am envious. It wasn't about the money, but the obligation.
Anyway take a look at the 09 R8 on Elite's site and you will see mine.

Also, the blue no stripe is mine that just came in and I can highly rate it. Not a scratch and perfect. I hope I can be kept in the loop and hope you don't shun me the next time we meet.

John

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
Congrats John....The R8 is a fantastic machine....

What color combo?

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2006
You will enjoy your new gal; I understand that sometimes it is change just for the sake of change having nothing to do with that which you have however in this case the R8 will likely become more of a daily driver.

BTW I looked at your new gal and she is sweet!!

Now as for remaining in the loop; you are family and what you drive is certainly interesting but not who you are; I for one hope that you remain and continue to contribute to eh Forum.

All the best

Shadowman

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Congrats John....The R8 is a fantastic machine....

What color combo?

Black pearl/with carbon fiber blade.:thumbsup

John

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
You will enjoy your new gal; I understand that sometimes it is change just for the sake of change having nothing to do with that which you have however in this case the R8 will likely become more of a daily driver.

BTW I looked at your new gal and she is sweet!!

Now as for remaining in the loop; you are family and what you drive is certainly interesting but not who you are; I for one hope that you remain and continue to contribute to eh Forum.

All the best

Shadowman

Thanks Shadowman! I have had several great phone conversations with you and find your knowledge base incredible. I am merely a part time moder, but I really find it to be relaxing. I've worked on cars for at least 45 years and it is what keeps me going. I hope to have some pics soon of my next project (Ferrari 308, full EFI, crank fired and supercharged). Most of the parts have been ordered.

John

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
14047d1200701285-audi-r8-studio-rendering-test4_a.jpg

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Good luck on your new gal.They are all nice . You can always buy another Gt if you feel the need.ENJOY THE RIDE !
For me there is no other !

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Re: obligtion

Someone on Fchat once termed it "the emotional commitment was too high"....i think that captures it. Though vintage cars are like that for me.

The Audi R8 will not let you down, nice car.

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Re: obligtion

Someone on Fchat once termed it "the emotional commitment was too high"....i think that captures it. Though vintage cars are like that for me.

The Audi R8 will not let you down, nice car.

You have hit the nail on the head! My son would bug me to take the GT to lunch at a place where it would be out of my direct sight. Nope, wouldn't do it. Now guys all my other stuff, no problem. So, thats why I think if I can find one that the dew has been knocked off the rose (so to speak), I wouldn't have this feeling in my gut every time I take it somewhere.

My wife asked why would the Audi be different. First the GT was made in such limited numbers, second it doesn't have the aura around it the GT did, and third I want have to keep an eye on it every minute.

This forum has had a unbelievable effect on me through the civility that the members have shown. I'm blown away at the detail of information and help that is available. I am on other sites for my other cars and check them once a week (maybe), where I look everyday here.

John

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA

Chris, that the color combo I told you I liked best at Cs&C this past weekend.

Well done!

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Yes John KDO GT and I were just at Shelby's last week for a couple of days to check on our gals so we did get a glimpse of your new gal:eek She is awesome:willy Enjoy your new beauty:banana

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
congrats, but somehow I think you will buy another one someday:wink

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Congrats John. Looks very nice! Enjoy.

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ
OMG!

Well, I guess its like a super HOT model that is single.

Some guy, some where, got sick of her ... fill in the blank.

I hope I never come to this sad conclusion. :frown

People say the happiest days of a boat owner are:
1. the day they buy boat
2. the day they sell boat

GT Owners:
1. the day they buy her
2. every day they get to driver her. :biggrin

I am very sorry for your lost.

Some day, some guy, I am certain, will be very happy going really deep ... into the pedal and making her purr like a tiger.

Ironically, Tim Cantwell had this exact thing happen to him with a blue GT.

Weird, it must be the color.

Best wishes.

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
congrats, but somehow I think you will buy another one someday:wink

Soroush,
Yes, I will. I am looking to replace in the next 6 months with a much higher mileage one so that when I spank her I don't feel bad. This is nothing more than the trials and tribulations of exotic car ownership.

John

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Soroush,
Yes, I will. I am looking to replace in the next 6 months with a much higher mileage one so that when I spank her I don't feel bad. This is nothing more than the trials and tribulations of exotic car ownership.

John

hahaha.

you want a dirty girl on the side.

I don't think this worked out for Tiger.

stay tuned ... more news to follow.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
You have hit the nail on the head! My son would bug me to take the GT to lunch at a place where it would be out of my direct sight. Nope, wouldn't do it.

Oooooooooooooooh, does THIS sound familiar!!!!!!!

I have SOOOOOOOO been there & SOOOOOOOOOO done that!!! You are a carbon copy of ME 2 years ago. There were 3 main, equal reasons #1079 was sold. And what you (and Kayvan) just outlined was one of them. :cheers

(Paraphrased, a friend of mine once told me, "When the stress of driving a particular car exceeds the enjoyment of doing so - 'time to pack it in.":wink Hopefully, one day my mindset will mellow(?) enough to allow a more "oh well" attitude toward these cars to the point where nunna this stuff will be an overriding issue and I'll get another one 'cause I DO miss the car itself. 'No dismissing that fact... But, the replacement will STILL hafta be a low miler w/o blems. Yup. I'm SICK.)

Last edited:
H

HHGT

I saw a Red one in Puerta Vallarta, Mexico during Thanksgiving driving on a cobble stoner road. Good lucking car. I'd buy an Audi over a Beemer any day. Congrats...

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I think you will enjoy the R8.
Did you give any thought to the V10 version, as about 25% more HP ?