I've done the unthinkable

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I loved the R8 when I checked it out at the dealership. It is definitely a head turner. I suspect it is more relaxing to drive than the GT (I have a tendency to get heavy footed in the GT). Congrats on your new ride.

I look forward to hearing about your return to the GT soon. It is inevitable.

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ
(I have a tendency to get heavy footed in the GT).

:rofl

Stewart W

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 12, 2007
Florida
Well I traded my GT for a Audi R8 from Shelby (Elite). The car is fine, but of course isn't in the same league as the GT.

So why? I wasn't driving the GT enough to own it, it was just too perfect. So in comes the Audi. I have several car projects going, but I told Shelby I would entertain another GT with some mileage and one with a few warts. This way I wouldn't need to call ahead for a parking reservation. For those of you that are not so encumbered I am envious. It wasn't about the money, but the obligation.
Anyway take a look at the 09 R8 on Elite's site and you will see mine.

Also, the blue no stripe is mine that just came in and I can highly rate it. Not a scratch and perfect. I hope I can be kept in the loop and hope you don't shun me the next time we meet.

John

i think you will appreciate the R8 ..it is a very wellbuilt, great handling car..I have a Phantom Black '08 with carbon blades..I really enjoy the car.
Best of Luck & Enjoy!

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
i think you will appreciate the R8 ..it is a very wellbuilt, great handling car..I have a Phantom Black '08 with carbon blades..I really enjoy the car.
Best of Luck & Enjoy!

Same Color combo John just purchased. One of the best in my opinion! :thumbsup

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
John,

Don't be a stranger. I would love to get a ride in the car!!! Maybe you can bring it to Cars & Coffee soon.

Larry

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I'll be around. I also bought another Ferrari to mod and I'm in the process of doing that. So R8 is really my second driver, since the Viper is my daily driver. I'm rebuilding the Ferrari from the ground up, rebuilding the engine, stripping the old injection, going with a crank trigger, full efi (electromotive), and supercharging it with a Rotrex.

Should be fun and I plan to give details here.

John

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Hi John
Congrats on the Audi, what Ferrari are you rebuilding ?

Steve

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Hi John
Congrats on the Audi, what Ferrari are you rebuilding ?

Steve

Finished my Testarossa and I bought a 308 GTB. I am rebuilding the motor to accept a Rotrex supercharger. Should get about 400 hp from it when finished.

John

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Did you drive or consider the V10 Audi R8 - an extra 100+hp and only 68 lbs heavier ?

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Never enough!

Did you drive or consider the V10 Audi R8 - an extra 100+hp and only 68 lbs heavier ?

Gentlemen,

As I type this on my iphone at Heffner Performance there are 3 Audi R8s here getting twin turbos. I can tell you right now what you'll miss most about your GT. The best automobile owner fraternity that has ever existed. Stay in touch and all the best.

Chip

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
I'll be around. I also bought another Ferrari to mod and I'm in the process of doing that. So R8 is really my second driver, since the Viper is my daily driver. I'm rebuilding the Ferrari from the ground up, rebuilding the engine, stripping the old injection, going with a crank trigger, full efi (electromotive), and supercharging it with a Rotrex.

Should be fun and I plan to give details here.

John

John,

Glad to hear you're not leaving us. Look forward to seeing both your Cavallinos now. I have the twin Rotrex setup on my M5, and they are very nice units.

Talk to you soon....

Sanjay

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
John, sent you an IM about your center caps for wheels. Let me know how to reach you to discuss further. Thanks

BM SoCal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 2, 2009
Orange County, CA
The more I look at those, the more I like them. I find it hard to drive and park / leave my GT anywhere due to the doors as I don't want to come back and find someone next to me. Crawling back into my car doesn't appeal to me.

If someone in the area is going for a weekend spin and wouldn't mind a passenger for a short ride that would be cool as I'd like to check one out. Of course I guess I could put the scissor doors on my GT, haven't seen updated posts on that lately...

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Of course I guess I could put the scissor doors on my GT, haven't seen updated posts on that lately...

PM Shadowman. He should have the latest "skinny" on those.:wink :cheers

Aug 25, 2006
PM Shadowman. He should have the latest "skinny" on those.:wink :cheers

The machines are running with chips flying as such forward progress continues.

All the best

Shadowman

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
When the R8 came out, I bashed it.... didn't like its looks.... etc.....etc....

Yep, I changed my mind after I saw one in person.... the pics I saw just didn't do it justice..... and here's what I consider a pretty neat story to tell you about a certain R8

I just recently finished working on a Robert Downey Jr. film called "DUE DATE" (comedy) Robert's stunt double who has been with him since "Sherlock Holmes" and I were sitting in the Lunch Box one cold night while production was shutting down 2 miles of the 15 up in victorville... We were talking cars and such and he told me how Robert had let him use his R8 for an entire weekend..... So Glen (double) had flown in a girl he met while on set in New Mexico and picked her up in it and they had it all weekend long :frown :wink

It's rare to have such a great relationship with an actor of such high caliber to let alone let you use his $100K+ car for a weekend and you be a STUNTGUY!!!

That usually sends people into crinch mode....
Anyways, I love the story, had to share with you.... I really like the car and my DAD loves the R8 too.... apparently he may be looking but not sure as of yet...

But...... please do us all a favor and get into another GT as fast as you can....:thumbsup

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
When your R8 isn't getting it for you anymore.....

........Send it to Jason Heffner. He'll put a little spark back into your relationship with that German car. Here's a couple photos I snapped in Sarasota, Florida a couple weeks ago. There were three R8s in his shop getting twin turbos while I was there.

Chip

Attachments

• R8TT.jpg
    R8TT.jpg
    396.9 KB · Views: 161
  • R8TT2.jpg
    R8TT2.jpg
    431.8 KB · Views: 159

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Cool looking with the rear off!

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Thanks guys. I need to finish my next project first (supercharged Ferrari 308), and then I will pursue with great vigor another GT. I already know exactly what I will be looking for so for once I want be proactive rather than reactive. I don't know about you guys, but I generally buy quickly, and this will be a long and purposeful buying experience.

John

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I generally buy quickly.... [but] this will be a long and purposeful buying experience.

John

I say the same about sex. Never works out that way. :lol