Intake boot collapse - video

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
I had been chasing a hesitation and power loss that occurred reliably in the 4000-5000rpm range on a good dig. I mistakenly assumed it was either plugs or a jiggery fuel pump relay. So I eliminated those ((( by the way, everybody has a couple of spare fuel pump relays - they are otherwise known as the wiper relays and they are stored right beside the fuel pump relays - most owner's wiper relays are virtually new and can be a convenient way to test your existing fuel pump relay))) Back to my story, so this weekend I was changing out my halfshaft bolts and I had the air box off and noticed how floppy the intake boot was. Pretty wimpy. I found myself wondering just how much suction there must be on the intake side at high boost, then the light came on - yep I was running a 2.9" pulley and I recalled the previous posts on the subject. I'm a bit slow on the uptake sometimes I guess.

So I dug out a GoPro and stuck it under the clamshell and, here's what it look's like in case you were wondering.... See you later, gotta call Accufab.

[video=youtube;ienZZ2Lv0F0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ienZZ2Lv0F0&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Great video!

I while you are at it I would check the condition of your air filters. Unless you find your air filters are dirty (hard to really tell if they are clean), IMO this is proof that the airbox and or maf is restrictive enough to cause a HP loss.

otis

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 13, 2011
Stillwater, MN
Wow! Awesome.

otis

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
LOL - good thing I installed the Accufab intake sleeve support when I added the Whipple 4.0 L today!

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Very telling video.
I would have thought the flexure of the inlet hose to be minimal, but data (ie video) clearly shows differently.
Thanks for the investigative results!

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Wow!! Would this be a concern on stock GTs (ie no upgraded pulley) as well?

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
That literally sucks and figuratively blows. Thanks for sharing.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
That literally sucks and figuratively blows. Thanks for sharing.

good one!

great footage! thanks for sharing

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Awesome video, for someone who claims to be slow on the uptake, you are the first one smart enough to put a GoPro back there. Great idea! The advice about air filters is also important. Moderately dirty air filters can cause problems. Some versions of the Ford Filters (depends on who the supplier was at the time) have been known to be pulled apart and sucked into the intake. I’m pretty sure the new filters are okay. It would hurt to call Rich and Dennis to get their upgraded intake system too… it’s ****ton better than the stock setup.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
While the Accufab support (also orderable through our website) would mitigate the boot collapse, the fact that you have some much vacuum between the air filters and the throttle body points to additional restrictions that you will want to look into. Simply stated, the motor wants a whole lot more air than it is able to consume with the current set-up.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Great video!

I while you are at it I would check the condition of your air filters.

.... It would hurt to call Rich and Dennis to get their upgraded intake system too… it’s ****ton better than the stock setup.

...... points to additional restrictions that you will want to look into.

All great points. Thanks for those. When I saw the degree to which this happens at just moderate go-get'em power, l thought about the filters. I should note that these symptoms were there from the very first drive when I bought the car at 200 miles on the clock and with the 2.9" pulley. That's the only known change to the car. I'd be surprised to find dirty filters (maybe a mouse nest since the car has obviously sat a lot). But you can bet I'll be digging into the air box further and will report back. My guess right now is, it's just the wimpy Ford boot, but the stock air box is likely a bit restrictive for the high air flows we now seem to like. FYI- I'm planning a 2.7" pulley change with an updated tune on a dyno next month.

Things like this can be fun so long as everything stays healthy. I gives something to do.:wink

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Call me before you change that pulley

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
I'd love to see a video with the support installed.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Bored at lunchtime.... Indy or Ice, please correct my calculations....

Our GT engine is a 4-stroke V8
On any given revolution, 2 cylinders are filling (2 are compressing, 2 are on power stroke, 2 are exhausting)
2 cylinders filling = 2/8 = 1/4 of 5.4L = 1.35L of air ingested at each revolution (with no boost at sea level)
With 14.5 psi of boost = 2x the air ingested = 1.35L x 2 = 2.7L air at each revolution (Can I say this....approximately?)
2.7L x 6000 RPM = 16,200 L per minute @ 6,000 RPM
16,200 / 60 = 270L per second @ 6,000 RPM
270L = 9.5 cubic feet of air PER SECOND at 6,000 RPM at 14.5psi

As usual, I'm probably wrong.... but maybe the smarter guys can be quick to correct. My conclusion is that we need a "mega-boatload" of air each second.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Kendall you are using the correct logic, but the auto industry calls a stroke only a half rotation of the crankshaft or, a single up or down movement of the piston. So each complete rotation of the crank sucks in 1/2 of 5.4L at one ATM, so an assuming an effective 2 ATMs (ie. 14.7 PSI boost nomalized for density, really the boost is higher due to heating the air) the engine sucks in 5.4L per rev. So at 6000, 6000+5.4=32400L/min. Double your numbers. 19 cf/sec or 1140 cfm

Now just think of the gas velocity through the small openings in the airbox, MAF, and throttle body!

Last edited:

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
I had been chasing a hesitation and power loss that occurred reliably in the 4000-5000rpm range on a good dig. I mistakenly assumed it was either plugs or a jiggery fuel pump relay. So I eliminated those ((( by the way, everybody has a couple of spare fuel pump relays - they are otherwise known as the wiper relays and they are stored right beside the fuel pump relays - most owner's wiper relays are virtually new and can be a convenient way to test your existing fuel pump relay))) Back to my story, so this weekend I was changing out my halfshaft bolts and I had the air box off and noticed how floppy the intake boot was. Pretty wimpy. I found myself wondering just how much suction there must be on the intake side at high boost, then the light came on - yep I was running a 2.9" pulley and I recalled the previous posts on the subject. I'm a bit slow on the uptake sometimes I guess.

So I dug out a GoPro and stuck it under the clamshell and, here's what it look's like in case you were wondering.... See you later, gotta call Accufab.

[video=youtube;ienZZ2Lv0F0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ienZZ2Lv0F0&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

that is a total fail right there :eek

topshot

GT Owner
Feb 6, 2012
Metro Detroit, MIchigan
I had to order one today from accufab, that is the best commercial they could have,,,,they should give you yours for free for the publicity..

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I had to order one today from accufab, that is the best commercial they could have,,,,they should give you yours for free for the publicity..

I don't think they are all that bad. If I had to guess the OEM stiffener is missing. It much smaller than the Accufab one about 1" wide. I found it when I when to install the Accufab part and it wouldn't go in, the OEM part was blocking it.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Great video. I had wondered the extent of the inlet issue. Are you sure the stock support is there?

I am glad that my carbon fiber inlet is finally on the way after a multiple month wait.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I am glad that my carbon fiber inlet is finally on the way after a multiple month wait.

From Whipple?