Mark II Lifetime
That is it.

Please post pics when you get it in.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Wow - that is cool info. A lot of air! BlackIce - you could have been a physicist!

Ed

Kendall you are using the correct logic, but the auto industry calls a stroke only a half rotation of the crankshaft or, a single up or down movement of the piston. So each complete rotation of the crank sucks in 1/2 of 5.4L at one ATM, so an assuming an effective 2 ATMs (ie. 14.7 PSI boost nomalized for density, really the boost is higher due to heating the air) the engine sucks in 5.4L per rev. So at 6000, 6000+5.4=32400L/min. Double your numbers. 19 cf/sec or 1140 cfm

Now just think of the gas velocity through the small openings in the airbox, MAF, and throttle body!

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
I had to order one today from accufab, that is the best commercial they could have,,,,they should give you yours for free for the publicity..

I like the way you think.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
I don't think they are all that bad. If I had to guess the OEM stiffener is missing. It much smaller than the Accufab one about 1" wide. I found it when I when to install the Accufab part and it wouldn't go in, the OEM part was blocking it.

There ain't nuthin' in there but air boyz.....It's a floppy as a Christmas noodle. The things I learn here.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
This problem was recognized years ago and there are long posts about it. AnalogDesigner was the first to recognized it and invented some roundish, spring steel, teflon coated rings for the inlet tube. AccuFab then came out with their stiffner. I have the rings, but I don't think AnalogDesigner makes them anymore. This is a problem with all engines regardlesss if stock or modded.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Well the pros nailed it again. The stock stiffener is missing. The last shop to service the car likely left it out. Problem gone. Pros-1, Newbie-0.:facepalm: Glad the video was entertaining.

Thanks for the help.

GTMikey

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2008
Lake Tahoe
Has the link to the video been removed? I don't see it in the original post. I'm on an iPhone, is it a link or attachment?

Mike

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
While the Accufab support (also orderable through our website) would mitigate the boot collapse, the fact that you have some much vacuum between the air filters and the throttle body points to additional restrictions that you will want to look into. Simply stated, the motor wants a whole lot more air than it is able to consume with the current set-up.

Just as further info; the intake box was fine, filters were as new and perfectly fresh. I guess there's just a lot of suction. My car is pulleyed pretty good and I get more more that 15lbs boost - don't know how much 'cause the gauge is pegged.

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
What was the ambient temperature when the video was taken? A lot cooler here in Canada than say southern Arizona. Rubber stiffer when cooler. (we know it effects tires).

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
What was the ambient temperature when the video was taken? A lot cooler here in Canada than say southern Arizona. Rubber stiffer when cooler. (we know it effects tires).

It was about 75F outside, but I have no idea what the temps are like under the clamshell in flight. The OEM support was missing in mine. The boot will collapse at just over 10lbs boost during a hard acceleration without any support. You can sneak up on it and go higher, but a hard dig will suck it in at 10-12lbs. So it doesn't take a modified motor to do this.

GTMikey

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2008
Lake Tahoe
Wow...... I have had a hesitation at times there too. It's on the list of future upgrades.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Another video would be great once you have a support installed, stock or otherwise.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Another video would be great once you have a support installed, stock or otherwise.

I'll do that, but I don't expect any issues. The new support is quite rigid. You'd have to have the suction of a Vegas hooker to pull this one in.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
... It would hurt to call Rich and Dennis to get their upgraded intake system too… it’s ****ton better than the stock setup.

Thanks. I'm impressed by the apparent negative pressures that occur across the intake on the modified set ups, pulley or otherwise. I'm sure SVT did their normal outstanding job in engineering the intake/filter set-up for the stock vehicle, but it sure looks like it struggles at the higher air flow demands. Will give them a ring, thanks!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
It would hurt to call Rich and Dennis to get their upgraded intake system too… it’s ****ton better than the stock setup.

Will give them a ring, thanks!

Did anyone ever post pictures of the final production piece installed?

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
I think Autometer manufactured the intake piecesif that's any help.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
I think Autometer manufactured the intake piecesif that's any help.

Very funny. Perhaps they also produced the original half shaft bolts.

HIRISC

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Wow.

Just purchased a sleeve from Accufab.. Hopefully, they'll send you a commission check.

Thanks for taking the initiative to do this.