I wrecked another one.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Sorry to read that things got bent - but at least you were all OK.

I watched and re-watched, I can't say it looks like you did too much wrong, tad too fast and lifting off maybe. I'd be just the same. As you say, the instructor could have been more instructive.

As I'll be driving mine at speed on a track soon, it's a reminder......

Hope you're not feeling too bad about it. :cheers

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA
Very minimal damage is good. There is only one part of the entire video I would change; it is almost the last thing that happens: when you get into the pits I see and hear the emergency brake! Yikes! An ex-Nascar and road racer broke me of that habbit many years ago, especailly when tracking and the rotors get hot to never use the emergency brakes, as it will lead to rotor problems. Aside from that, way not to panic and accept the off track event, slow it down, and get into the pits. This last week event I did at VIR, a Corvette a couple cars in front of me that I think I was catching began to lose it, overcorrected, and tumbled upside down into a set tire barriers a good hundred feet off the course. Welcome to VIR.

Glad you are okay.

Pete S.

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
You let of the gas :wink:biggrin

Glad nothing happened. What is with your volt meter guage .... red light, needle moving back and forth.

That is a great pictures from the car when you "crawl" through the bush back to the track :biggrin:biggrin

:cheers
Anders

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I noticed the same thing about the gauge. I think the voltmeter has been replaced with an A/F gauge. That gauge doesn't look like it was working the entire video.... until the mishap. The tall grass excursion and bumpy ride seemed to have fixed the gauge!

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
when you get into the pits I see and hear the emergency brake! Yikes! An ex-Nascar and road racer broke me of that habbit many years ago, especailly when tracking and the rotors get hot to never use the emergency brakes, as it will lead to rotor problems.

I know... I am sure you didn't notice me say "#@$@!" and drop the brake back down.

Speed was my main problem, I was probably going 20mph fast than I was the lap before. I was being chased by a GT3RS and got to far out of my comfort zone. My comfort zone being 'the pusher' not the 'pushie.'

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
man just saw this, Im glad you and your pass. are ok, may I suggest a less expensive track car:lol maybe a miata or rx7, they crash just as well:biggrin

kidding aside, Im its a good thing you didnt hurt the car, they way you hit the ground I figured you must have broken something!! well another story for the next rally:cheers

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
1. Was that the same Porsche in the beginning that was ahead of you in the TWS video? :lol
2. You didn't have your 80's music going.......probably why you went weed cutting......fix that next time ummmkay.
3. Man card still intatct......you damaged your car while doing manly stuff on a track.

These cars can take ALOT more abuse than that and still be fine. Trust me.

1) Yes, do you hear me say "this guy loves me" to the instructor as I push him through the turns? He went off track a lap after that... track temp were around 110... tires felt greasy to everyone.
2) The F'n instructor made me put it on the track radio... I agree, that is what threw my game off. Some Dire Straights would have pulled me through.
3) I don't think I cussed enough... definitely should have slapped the instructor or something. :biggrin

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Motorsport Ranch in Cresson it looks like.

Glad you're OK and glad the damage wasn't worse!

It was MSR. The 1.3mile course. That was my first day on that part of the track. I was running about 1:11.8, nothing to write home about but almost everyone else sucked more. :biggrin

red gt 1442

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 23, 2005
NY Metro Area
Fubar,

Glad you're ok...and also the car....parts are the easy things to replace....

From the little I know, after looking at your video, I can tell you were moving....and you might of lifted in that last corner, getting the a$$ light, and a quick spin.

As Pete mentioned in his post, we had a corvette do exactly what you did, except that he tried to correct it, and went off, hit the tire barrier, and flipped. The car was destroyed........the driver was fine.

I just experienced VIR in my FR500S, and the car is very forgiving, making whom ever was driving it look like a seasoned driver...in this case me. But, there are many corners at VIR that if you lift, you are a gonner....

To all of us that will be ar VIR, please take it easy, as Pete can tell you that going in corners a little too fast and lifting will lighten your A$$, and the car will come around.

I am glad everyone was ok....

Gino

Aug 25, 2006
It looks like you had a nice time and the fact that you, your passenger, and you gal are fine needing only a diffuser and creating a bit of patina I would say NBD

Thank you for sharing

Shadowman

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
1. Thank God you're ok.
2. You are to be commended for lack of profanity.
3. If it was 110F, that probably didn't help things with a relatively tight course and "greasy" tires. Probably needed Hoosiers for that kind of condition.

Given my lack of serious track experience (a couple of 2+ mile local tracks and 1x on Road America), I don't feel these small tracks provide a good platform for our GTs. Too much grunt, and too little chance to really open it up and stretch the car's legs.

Still, it is remarkable that you can drive the car home, etc.
Kudos to Ford.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
It is great that you and your passenger are fine and the car came out with very minor issues. Next time you drive a course like this, I suggest you use a 5.4L Raptor instead.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
The MSR 1.3 is not the best track for the GT. I have run out there as a member a few times and the 1.7 or 3.1 are much more fun for the GT. The 1.3 is more fun in a spec miata or my Caterham. Watching the video it looks like you were still applying steering input at the top of the blind hill. Car got light and rotated. The key is to get the turn in done so you are pointed straight as you crest and get light. The car then squats and loads up in the "toilet bowl" right hand turn that follows. I know of a P-car and a Subaru WRX that have caught serious air and gone off there. The Porsche got stuck nose down in the ditch. There's not much run off on the 1.3 as there is on the 1.7. I'm glad your car wasn't bunged up worse.

JRGoens

GT Owner
Dec 3, 2008
Lincoln, NE
Glad everyone is okay! The car can always be repaired, but i life cannot!

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB
It is great that you and your passenger are fine and the car came out with very minor issues.
:thumbsup

Next time you drive a course like this, I suggest you use a 5.4L Raptor instead.

Next time take a John Deere 9800 series and make some extra cash in the weeds. :biggrin

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Mark, glad you're OK.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Next time take a John Deere 9800 series and make some extra cash in the weeds. :biggrin

I charged them $80 for mowing a hundred yards of grass.

digman1

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 8, 2007
Dallas Texas
The MSR 1.3 is not the best track for the GT. I have run out there as a member a few times and the 1.7 or 3.1 are much more fun for the GT. The 1.3 is more fun in a spec miata or my Caterham. Watching the video it looks like you were still applying steering input at the top of the blind hill. Car got light and rotated. The key is to get the turn in done so you are pointed straight as you crest and get light. The car then squats and loads up in the "toilet bowl" right hand turn that follows. I know of a P-car and a Subaru WRX that have caught serious air and gone off there. The Porsche got stuck nose down in the ditch. There's not much run off on the 1.3 as there is on the 1.7. I'm glad your car wasn't bunged up worse.

My neighbor, a past formula ford driver, was showing me his lines in a
'97 TT Porsche I had a few years back, and took us off backwards at that exact spot at a high rate of speed. The lap before he got a little squirrely over the blind hill, and the next lap I knew he had too much speed and braced myself. Blew a tire and did minor damage, but thank goodness no other issues. That is a tricky spot.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Mark, sorry to hear (and see) of your mishap.
Glad the damage was minimal, other than your ego.
Keep you chin up, every off track adventure is a learning experience (as I well know!).:biggrin

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Mark-

First, glad you the instructor and the car are OK!

Second, thanks for maning up and sharing with us your video.

Blake, Frank, Grant and I had just finished a track event outside Chicago and were out to dinner when your video became available. We all watched you mow grass. We owners are lucky Ford built our cars so capable as your video and drive home clearly show. I drove up to the track, flogged her for 5, 20 minute track sessions and drove her home with never a complaint. Our GT presence was well received and envied by most. (Except Frank was always being passed while out on the track).

We all learn from our driving experiences. Hope to again see you at VIR with even sharper driving skills. Ego….well that’s another story….