How Many Viper Coupe FE Owners are there?

lamboman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 14, 2006
Atlanta area
you have to push the pedal quite far to get any reaction from the motor

Yes, I understand. I went to a Comp Coupe flywheel in my '06 FE...and it revved up much quicker. Didn't need as much pedal to get it moving quickly. I switched back because I was so used to the situation you mention. 3.55 gears are ideal street gears for a Viper also. The 3.07's take awhile to get moving. Mopar offers the 3.55 set if you are ever interested. You can actually use 5 gears with the 3.55's.

Last edited:

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Yes, I understand. I went to a Comp Coupe flywheel in my '06 FE...and it revved up much quicker. Didn't need as much pedal to get it moving quickly. I switched back because I was so used to the situation you mention. 3.55 gears are ideal street gears for a Viper also. The 3.07's take awhile to get moving. Mopar offers the 3.55 set if you are ever interested. You can actually use 5 gears with the 3.55's.

Interesting. Does it make a difference in 0-60 or 1/4 mile times?
I will get used to it. The only thing that worries my is that the pedals are so close together. At least 10 times, I hit the gas at the same time as I applied the brakes.

lamboman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 14, 2006
Atlanta area
Interesting. Does it make a difference in 0-60 or 1/4 mile times?
I will get used to it. The only thing that worries my is that the pedals are so close together. At least 10 times, I hit the gas at the same time as I applied the brakes.
The gears will make a difference if you can shift quickly. I have always shaved .2-.3 off of 1320 times...but I can shift a Viper. It requires one more shift in the quarter with the 3.55's. The real benefit is street speeds. 30-80 call it. The 3.55's add what equates to 83HP avg in that range...although of course it would not show that on a dyno. It puts the torque curve and HP where you need it.

The flywheel is more of a road racing thing...no strip or street benefits, other than feel. A little weight savings. The Road racing guys swear by it for higher revs early.

Last edited:

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
The gears will make a difference if you can shift quickly. I have always shaved .2-.3 off of 1320 times...but I can shift a Viper. It requires one more shift in the quarter with the 3.55's. The real benefit is street speeds. 30-80 call it. The 3.55's add what equates to 83HP avg in that range...although of course it would not show that on a dyno. It puts the torque curve and HP where you need it.

The flywheel is more of a road racing thing...no strip or street benefits, other than feel. A little weight savings. The Road racing guys swear by it for higher revs early.

I think I will spring for that. I need to get used to it first. I will be driving it a lot in the next few weeks. I want to break it in, and then let her rip!:banana

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Thanks Jerry. Not to hijack this thread, do you have any experience with the STS turbo kit?

Rocman... I only have experience with the Paxton on Vipers. I have them on my Viper truck and one of my 2006 Vipers. I am very happy with both of them.

ps. I loved that Comp Coupe... sorry to see you sold it Dan. I wish I had more time and less medical issues so I could have enjoyed it on the track more.

lamboman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 14, 2006
Atlanta area
Rocman, I don't have any experience with the STS system, but I have had 4 TT Vipers. Let me know if you want any info.

lamboman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 14, 2006
Atlanta area
Rocman... I only have experience with the Paxton on Vipers. I have them on my Viper truck and one of my 2006 Vipers. I am very happy with both of them.

ps. I loved that Comp Coupe... sorry to see you sold it Dan. I wish I had more time and less medical issues so I could have enjoyed it on the track more.

Hey Jerry...just bought a new SRT Nightrunner. Was thinking of going the Paxton route. Any negatives? I have had the Paxton on 1 Viper...but never the truck.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Hey Jerry...just bought a new SRT Nightrunner. Was thinking of going the Paxton route. Any negatives? I have had the Paxton on 1 Viper...but never the truck.

Lambo... what is a nightrunner? If you are asking about the Paxton on the Ram SRT-10... It is wild. It was de-tuned to 630 hp because I was towing a car trailer at the time and they thought it would have been too much power. I have had some issues with the passenger side A/C not getting cold enough now and then while driving, other than that... nothing negative.

lamboman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 14, 2006
Atlanta area
Lambo... what is a nightrunner? If you are asking about the Paxton on the Ram SRT-10... It is wild. It was de-tuned to 630 hp because I was towing a car trailer at the time and they thought it would have been too much power. I have had some issues with the passenger side A/C not getting cold enough now and then while driving, other than that... nothing negative.

It is an SRT- 10 special Black truck. Charcoal wheels...black chrome grill...a few things inside, but an SRT-10. Thank you for the insight.

Last edited:

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
It is an SRT- 10 special Black truck. Charcoal wheels...black chrome grill...a few things inside, but an SRT-10. Thank you for the insight.

I haven't seen one of those. Do you have a pic to post? It sounds awesome!

lamboman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 14, 2006
Atlanta area
I haven't seen one of those. Do you have a pic to post? It sounds awesome!

Not mine...but the same.

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
Lambo, thanks for the compliment and kind words...

Rocman, ditto above reply. Before I wrote this I was looking at some of the comments regarding that white car with orange stripes and it validates your point about haters, man if the guy wants to paint it pink with purple stripes then have at it, it's his car.

And Jerry. now I know your user name. It was sad that I sold the car without really ever getting to use it but the GT landed in my lap and it was much more useful to me. Do you remember the 1940 Willys custom I had. Someone approached me in September and made me a great offer for the car so I sold it. I wasn't marketing the car but the offer was to good to refuse. Had I known I was going to sell it I would have kept the CC. Here is a photo of the Willys. Another one of those "geez, why did I sell it" cars. It has a 528 inch Hemi in it. I should have sent it to Barrett-Jackson, it probably would have made another 50-75k.

Attachments

• Swoopster 21.jpg
    Swoopster 21.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 112

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Lambo, thanks for the compliment and kind words...

Rocman, ditto above reply. Before I wrote this I was looking at some of the comments regarding that white car with orange stripes and it validates your point about haters, man if the guy wants to paint it pink with purple stripes then have at it, it's his car.

And Jerry. now I know your user name. It was sad that I sold the car without really ever getting to use it but the GT landed in my lap and it was much more useful to me. Do you remember the 1940 Willys custom I had. Someone approached me in September and made me a great offer for the car so I sold it. I wasn't marketing the car but the offer was to good to refuse. Had I known I was going to sell it I would have kept the CC. Here is a photo of the Willys. Another one of those "geez, why did I sell it" cars. It has a 528 inch Hemi in it. I should have sent it to Barrett-Jackson, it probably would have made another 50-75k.

:eek :eek Wow! That was nicely done!

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
:eek :eek Wow! That was nicely done!

Thanks Roc! It is one of the nicest Willys in the country!!! Here is a picture of the 528 Hemi all chromed by Street and Performance...Dan

Attachments

• Swoopster 61.jpg
    Swoopster 61.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 109

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Thanks Roc! It is one of the nicest Willys in the country!!! Here is a picture of the 528 Hemi all chromed by Street and Performance...Dan

Did you build it? It looks great! The only classic I ever had was a prostreet 1966 Nova. That looked like a bucket of chum next to this.:lol

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
Did you build it? It looks great! The only classic I ever had was a prostreet 1966 Nova. That looked like a bucket of chum next to this.:lol

Roc, I don't want to hijack this thread but to answer your question the car was all pro-built (like Chip Foose pro) by Dennis Taylor in Arkansas. This car was the first high end Willys roadster he ever built and it took 2 1/2 years. The bottom of the car is nicer then the top. 528 inch Hemi, 727 torque-flite, 9 inch rear, air ride, all the best went into this car. Top show winner everywhere it went. If interested I can send you some more pics, I don't want to ruffle anyone's feathers by posting more on this thread although I think the true car guys would love it...Dan

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Roc, I don't want to hijack this thread but to answer your question the car was all pro-built (like Chip Foose pro) by Dennis Taylor in Arkansas. This car was the first high end Willys roadster he ever built and it took 2 1/2 years. The bottom of the car is nicer then the top. 528 inch Hemi, 727 torque-flite, 9 inch rear, air ride, all the best went into this car. Top show winner everywhere it went. If interested I can send you some more pics, I don't want to ruffle anyone's feathers by posting more on this thread although I think the true car guys would love it...Dan

Yes, maybe post some pics in the "what else you have" thread, so nobody says anything. I love looking at cars!:biggrin
That car is awesome!

Well, I drove my new Viper Coupe to work today. Here are some of my thoughts on the SRT-C. My knee is 1/4" away from the dash. When I hit a bump, my knee knocks the lower dash. There is wind noise from the drivers window, but not too much. The sub seems to have a slight vibration to it.
I love how you can go 80 at only 1500 RPM's.:thumbsup
The torque is right there, at all times. I had some lady pull up to me asking how much, and if she could have a ride. Well, she looked like the Witch from Popeye, so I politely said no. Then she asked if her daughter could have a ride. Again, I said no.:lol
I was actually surprised how much attention this car gets!

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
Well, I only drove home about 15 miles from the dealer, but my first observations are: I sit a little high in the seat (that can be fixed), you have to push the pedal quite far to get any reaction from the motor (but when you do, it great), Fit & Finish is very good (much better than my last 2 Z06's), the paint is actually really smooth, seats are comfortable and I have more room than my GT. Lighting is excellent. Visibility is good. It has a great modern look and feel, but still has an old hot rod vibe to it. So far, it's great!

Big Dan,
Awesome car! The VOI9 cars are the rarest! Don't mind what others have to say. There are always haters in the bunch.

Roc, Super sweet!!! Unlike the GT, the Viper looks just as good w/o stripes as it does with. Their is a seat lowering kit that I think partsrack offers. I'm sure you know this but I'll mention it anyway, the pedals are electrically adjustable (the little knob in the middle of the dash at the lip). This might help your throttle response and clutch catch point as well. I don't know if this is your first Viper but you also might want to loosen up that motor slowly, keeping it under 3500 revs up to 400 miles and 4500 up to 800 then let her rip. I'm just trying to be thoughtful in my comments, not a know-it-all.
Good luck with the car, she a beauty...Dan
P.S. Two more pictures for the rodders out there...

Attachments

• 1st Swoopster 0061.jpg
    1st Swoopster 0061.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 97
  • Swoopster interior.jpg
    Swoopster interior.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 98

lamboman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 14, 2006
Atlanta area
Dan...that is a SWEET ride!!!!!!!!!!!! Love it. That 528 Hemi powerplant is beyond words.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Roc, Super sweet!!! Unlike the GT, the Viper looks just as good w/o stripes as it does with. Their is a seat lowering kit that I think partsrack offers. I'm sure you know this but I'll mention it anyway, the pedals are electrically adjustable (the little knob in the middle of the dash at the lip). This might help your throttle response and clutch catch point as well. I don't know if this is your first Viper but you also might want to loosen up that motor slowly, keeping it under 3500 revs up to 400 miles and 4500 up to 800 then let her rip. I'm just trying to be thoughtful in my comments, not a know-it-all.
Good luck with the car, she a beauty...Dan
P.S. Two more pictures for the rodders out there...

Thanks Dan.
Yes, I adjusted the pedals and it definately helped. For some reason, I actually read the manual.:lol
I never do, but something told me to.:biggrin
Thanks for the tip. I usually keep it easy for the first 1000 miles, but sometimes let it rip in very small bursts.:biggrin

Awesome pics!