How Many Viper Coupe FE Owners are there?

M

Mark O

Here's the problem with the Gen 1/2 versus the Gen 3 Viper. Gen 1 & 2 guys love the sexy curves of that body style, however, most can't stand the Gen 3 body. On the other hand, many lovers of the Gen 3 Viper can't stand the Gen 1 & 2 Vipers.

The Gen 1 & 2 Vipers were completely outrageous styling-wise in their day & that's what turned people (like me) on. The Gen 3 styling was purposely toned down in an attempt to lure bowtie Vette owners to become goat-head Viper owners.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Are your consecutive years of ownership GPS verified????
Craig,
Look up at the top of the page, your at THE FORD GT FORUM, this is a civil place, not one where a newbie spectator with half a dozen posts questions the integrity of the owners. You would think that after being banned at FERRARI CHAT and the Viper boards you would have learned something. Obviously not. If you want to learn about Ford GT's this is a great place to read. If you want
to fight, why not try the Vette boards, your kind of behavior seems to be the norm over there. Seems like December is the month to bring out every troll.
Bony
:troll :slap :devil :smash :shrug :troll :slap :devil :shrug :smash :troll :devil :shrug :smash

lamboman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 14, 2006
Atlanta area
FE# 48 here. Also a Final edition '02 Coupe...and '96 B/W I bought new. Also '92 Red (only color available that year) that I bought new.

66GT40

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 18, 2005
Tim: I have 3 vipers. A 1994 RT10, a 1996 blue w/ white stripe GTS and a 2003 SRT10. The 1994 is a wild ride and the 2003 is far too comfortable for me but I really like the GTS. Not as powerfull as the GT though.
Jerry

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel and Central California
I have 2006 SRT-10 008/200, my 8th Viper and 2006 SRT-10 015/100 VOI.9 Special Edition white Viper

lamboman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 14, 2006
Atlanta area
Speaking of Vipers...the '08 is on the cover of Motor Trend Feb issue.

Motor Trend and Road and Track...February issues. This car will be in the showrooms early Summer '07. The '08 Viper is DETUNED from 680HP to the 600HP needed now. The drivetrain, clutch have been beefed up to handle 680HP...if needed in '09. Turn a few screws and it is in the 675HP range. Note new colors. Green, Violet, Orange. The Green and Orange are similar to the Lambo colors. Don't know about the Violet.....
The pics are from a thread on the VCA site.

8.4L engine

McLaren Performance Technologies, Ricardo, and others consulted on the engine project

Engine now has VVT

Platinum sparkplugs

6400 RPM redline

Compresion 10.2:1

Revised cusbustion chambers for smoother airflow and less friction, larger valves (23% more flow on intake side) 12% more flow on exhaust side.

Swinging oil pickup to protect against oil starvation during hard cornering

New oil filter

Intake system: now 2-piece manifold/plenum desin with smoother intake passages and surfaces throughout. Dual electronic throttle bodies. Cold air intake system revised for higher flow, less weight, and better NVH. Each cylinder now has its own coil pack mounted to the valve cover. Better sounding exhaust w/o interior heat due to the dumping of the SRT x-pipe setup.

New dual-disc clutch pack has 18% less intertia for quicker engine revs.

No more run flat tires

New optional wheel design called Razor

Same frame and suspension as 03-06

New Color combos: Shakespeare Green, Viper violet, and bright orange.

New Louvered hood

Cost: $90k (MT estimate)
Weight: 3400lbs (MT est)

ottocars

GT Owner
Jan 12, 2007
florida
i still have my viper rt/10 93
and the viper gts 96
dont want to part
the gt is totaly different
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UShdYb9-AW4

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Looks like they are preparing for the Blue Devil as well in 08'.
I wonder when the insurance companies are going to put a stop to all of this.
Both those cars feel like they have a hair trigger as it is, another 150hp + is going to make them a handful for "everyday joe public" to drive.

Last edited:
M

Mark O

Too bad they didn't restyle it.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Ouch! LOL

lamboman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 14, 2006
Atlanta area
Here's the problem with the Gen 1/2 versus the Gen 3 Viper. Gen 1 & 2 guys love the sexy curves of that body style, however, most can't stand the Gen 3 body. On the other hand, many lovers of the Gen 3 Viper can't stand the Gen 1 & 2 Vipers.

The Gen 1 & 2 Vipers were completely outrageous styling-wise in their day & that's what turned people (like me) on. The Gen 3 styling was purposely toned down in an attempt to lure bowtie Vette owners to become goat-head Viper owners.
It may surprise you that over 75% of Gen3's are owned by guys who had Gen1 +2's, or have Gen1+2's. There are some who will never like the Gen3...or the Gen4 if and when that happens. I liken it to the Diablo/Murci change. Most Diablo owners...myself included, vowed never to own a less outrageous Bull like the toned down Murci. Of course I eventually updated, got with the times...as most other Diablo owners did. Still have the more outrageous Diablo...but times and cars evolve. Few designs are timeless...and the Gen 1+2 Viper is not one of them. I still have them...but they serve another purpose for me. Some will stick with their Gen1 +2's...and curse the day that Dodge toned down the Viper. Those individuals are becoming less and less by the day. Viper guys are a different breed. Most like the lack of techno devices...most enjoy the raw edge of the car...and the fact that it is a drivers car. Great brakes, power, handling...all with a relatively bulletproof drivetrain, and easy to mod to hell and back if that suits your fancy. The Gen3 still gives you all of that and more. I know there is no convincing you..or some others. To each his own.

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Looks like they are preparing for the Blue Devil as well in 08'.
I wonder when the insurance companies are going to put a stop to all of this.
Both those cars fell like they have a hair trigger as it is 150hp + is going to make them a handful for "everyday joe public" to drive.
Steve, you and I are thinking the same thing, I was there when the insurance companies killed off the muscle cars....

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Speaking of Vipers...the '08 is on the cover of Motor Trend Feb issue.

Motor Trend and Road and Track...February issues. This car will be in the showrooms early Summer '07. The '08 Viper is DETUNED from 680HP to the 600HP needed now. The drivetrain, clutch have been beefed up to handle 680HP...if needed in '09. Turn a few screws and it is in the 675HP range. Note new colors. Green, Violet, Orange. The Green and Orange are similar to the Lambo colors. Don't know about the Violet.....
The pics are from a thread on the VCA site.

8.4L engine

McLaren Performance Technologies, Ricardo, and others consulted on the engine project

Engine now has VVT

Platinum sparkplugs

6400 RPM redline

Compresion 10.2:1

Revised cusbustion chambers for smoother airflow and less friction, larger valves (23% more flow on intake side) 12% more flow on exhaust side.

Swinging oil pickup to protect against oil starvation during hard cornering

New oil filter

Intake system: now 2-piece manifold/plenum desin with smoother intake passages and surfaces throughout. Dual electronic throttle bodies. Cold air intake system revised for higher flow, less weight, and better NVH. Each cylinder now has its own coil pack mounted to the valve cover. Better sounding exhaust w/o interior heat due to the dumping of the SRT x-pipe setup.

New dual-disc clutch pack has 18% less intertia for quicker engine revs.

No more run flat tires

New optional wheel design called Razor

Same frame and suspension as 03-06

New Color combos: Shakespeare Green, Viper violet, and bright orange.

New Louvered hood

Cost: $90k (MT estimate)
Weight: 3400lbs (MT est)

Like it, maybe I can join Jerry's kids... very nice!! Never had a Viper..yet:banana

lamboman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 14, 2006
Atlanta area
Too bad they didn't restyle it.
The current platform is 4 years old. All of the new styling on this car took place in the Engine...and appearance options. 4 interior colors to choose from, 5 new colors, a power plant that can run up to 680HP with no additional work. The objective of this '08 is to put the Viper back on TOP. Mission accomplished. All forged internals again, new clutch, tranny...and on and on. Personally..I love the current design...to each his or her own.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
The automotive "Arms Race" is interesting to watch. As speeds, acceleration and horspepower continue to climb, the regulators (er...governement Nazis), the insurance industry and bleeding hearts all take notice quickly and get involved. Motorcycle Manufacturers Association had to all get togethe about two years ago to agree that they would limit the top speed of their Superbikes to 181 MPH. :frown A few of my liter bikes will easily top 200 with some electronic mods. For those that are non-bikers - believe it or not, I find myself more comfortable running one of my race bikes at 180 than I ever would in a car!

201MPH

Apr 25, 2006
Toronto
Craig,
Look up at the top of the page, your at THE FORD GT FORUM, this is a civil place, not one where a newbie spectator with half a dozen posts questions the integrity of the owners. You would think that after being banned at FERRARI CHAT and the Viper boards you would have learned something. Obviously not. If you want to learn about Ford GT's this is a great place to read. If you want
to fight, why not try the Vette boards, your kind of behavior seems to be the norm over there. Seems like December is the month to bring out every troll.
Bony
:troll :slap :devil :smash :shrug :troll :slap :devil :shrug :smash :troll :devil :shrug :smash
No trolling intended, just a little inside joke between FF and myself.

I am merely engaging in this thread regarding the Viper, disrespect not included. Great board you have here.

Roadtrip

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2006
i'll take the black with grey stripes. 3rd row down, 1 from the end........
Is that Lambo green or Pea Green? :ack

I still love the original '96 Viper Coupe Blue with the white stripes. My favorite factory car color combo ever.

The Black white Red stripes (like Lambo Man's) is pretty hot also. :thumbsup

M

Mark O

I know there is no convincing you..or some others. To each his own.
The conv model does absolutely nothing for me, but over time, much like a wart, the coupe model has grown on me. :biggrin It doesn't excite me though.

However,the introduction of the GT had me more excited than the original Viper did back in the early nineties. :cheers

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Tim, does that mean you prefer road rash to a Gurney?

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
Hopefully my picture loads. It's a Viper Comp Coupe which I actually purchased from a fellow GT owner in CA.

Attachments