How Many Viper Coupe FE Owners are there?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
The automotive "Arms Race" is interesting to watch. As speeds, acceleration and horspepower continue to climb, the regulators (er...governement Nazis), the insurance industry and bleeding hearts all take notice quickly and get involved. Motorcycle Manufacturers Association had to all get togethe about two years ago to agree that they would limit the top speed of their Superbikes to 181 MPH. :frown A few of my liter bikes will easily top 200 with some electronic mods. For those that are non-bikers - believe it or not, I find myself more comfortable running one of my race bikes at 180 than I ever would in a car!

Tim, I trust you know what kind of Doctor Frank is :cheers :banana :cheers
There are no malpractice suits, or unhappy patients in his line of medicine.
Ask about DR FRANK'S FAMOUS X STICH:lol :rofl :lol

M

Mark O

The current platform is 4 years old. All of the new styling on this car took place in the Engine

It's older than that considering the original SRT (conv) is a cross between a Camaro & a Stratus in styling. I lovingly call it the Stratamaro. :biggrin

...and appearance options. 4 interior colors to choose from, 5 new colors,

That's the problem with this car is since it's restyling, DC has elected to go with decor packages all of which are just silly. Everytime they come out with a new color, it's a new a "limited edition". You've got the Black Mamba, White Mamba, Flanders Edition, White/Blue VCA Edition, New Tire Tread Edition, Chicita Banana Yellow VCA Edition :banana Red Caliper Edition (you get the picture). It's about time that they pony up some more hp. These days, for the amount of cubic inches the V10 has, it's pretty inefficient compaired to what its main competitor, the Vette is squeezing out for power.

lamboman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 14, 2006
Atlanta area
It's older than that considering the original SRT (conv) is a cross between a Camaro & a Stratus in styling. I lovingly call it the Stratamaro. :biggrin

That's the problem with this car is since it's restyling, DC has elected to go with decor packages all of which are just silly. Everytime they come out with a new color, it's a new a "limited edition". You've got the Black Mamba, White Mamba, Flanders Edition, White/Blue VCA Edition, New Tire Tread Edition, Chicita Banana Yellow VCA Edition :banana Red Caliper Edition (you get the picture). It's about time that they pony up some more hp. These days, for the amount of cubic inches the V10 has, it's pretty inefficient compaired to what its main competitor, the Vette is squeezing out for power.

The motor is now at 600HP...new clutch, upgraded tranny, rear-end,VVT,....etc. A motor that is now capable of 900BHP N.A. How much more do you want to do before the major remake in 2 years? Quite frankly, with the problems that Ford, DC, GM are having, it is amazing to me that DC is committing the funds that they have to this car already. The cosmetic options are just a plus on top of that. I agree on the "special editions". It has been non-sense. But now you can select your interior color, new interesting exterior colors, new wheel options. They have made it possible to build your own unique car. In 14 years of Viper ownership, this is one of the better days. I applaud DC for their efforts. It appears that you don't like the Gen3...to each his own. I have always enjoyed the styling. Guess I will go jump in my "Stratamaro" TT, and go for a ride.

Last edited:

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
No Road Rash for Me

Tim, does that mean you prefer road rash to a Gurney?

To give you an idea of how to avoid road rash, here's me preparing to mow the lawn with me Huskavarna "GT" Heritage Livery Tractor:

Attachments

• IMGP0885.jpg
    IMGP0885.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 164

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Tim,
That outfit might work in Ohio, but never in California, if you tried to swim accross the Rio Grande you would surely drown. Also, I ass-ume you speak Spanish (official language of California) otherwise you could not talk to other gardeners and state officials.
Happy New Year!
Daniel:cheers :banana :cheers

201MPH

Apr 25, 2006
Toronto
The motor is now at 600HP...new clutch, upgraded tranny, rear-end,VVT,....etc. A motor that is now capable of 900BHP N.A. How much more do you want to do before the major remake in 2 years? Quite frankly, with the problems that Ford, DC, GM are having, it is amazing to me that DC is committing the funds that they have to this car already. The cosmetic options are just a plus on top of that. I agree on the "special editions". It has been non-sense. But now you can select your interior color, new interesting exterior colors, new wheel options. They have made it possible to build your own unique car. In 14 years of Viper ownership, this is one of the better days. I applaud DC for their efforts. It appears that you don't like the Gen3...to each his own. I have always enjoyed the styling. Guess I will go jump in my "Stratamaro" TT, and go for a ride.

While I applaud DC for this "step in the right direction" where are you getting your information from that it is capable of 900 h.p. N/A?

You do realize that is upwards of 107hp/L right? Some of the best engine manufacturers in the world have a hard time achieving that N/A, and typically do not do so in anything larger than a 4,6-cyl I-Style engine (f20C in the 1st gen S2000 120h.p./L)

Are you suggesting that a 900h.p. n/a engine is feasable for production? All with a factory warranty to be bestowed upon anyone in society who has the cash to pony up for it? Not. Gonna. Happen.

I agree that the new options are a good way to go (and something DC should have been doing long ago) in terms of making the car somewhat more desirable and customizable from the factory. I don't see the appeal of a car you can get in 1 of 3 exterior colors, big deal.

Dodge's current issue with the Viper echos the same problem the big-3 are having with all of their passenger cars. They alienated their prime customers for a car that appealed to a broader audience, and in the process turned them off. The people who owned a gen 1/2 were waiting for a better gen3 but instead got a minor h.p. upgrade and bland styling. Now those people have left for a F430, FGT or Z06. Why should they come back? That's the convincing DC is gonna have to do, this engine is a good start but the car is still far from a complete package.

getbit

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 15, 2006
Austin, Texas
While I applaud DC for this "step in the right direction" where are you getting your information from that it is capable of 900 h.p. N/A?

You do realize that is upwards of 107hp/L right? Some of the best engine manufacturers in the world have a hard time achieving that N/A, and typically do not do so in anything larger than a 4,6-cyl I-Style engine (f20C in the 1st gen S2000 120h.p./L)

Are you suggesting that a 900h.p. n/a engine is feasable for production? All with a factory warranty to be bestowed upon anyone in society who has the cash to pony up for it? Not. Gonna. Happen.

I agree that the new options are a good way to go (and something DC should have been doing long ago) in terms of making the car somewhat more desirable and customizable from the factory. I don't see the appeal of a car you can get in 1 of 3 exterior colors, big deal.

Dodge's current issue with the Viper echos the same problem the big-3 are having with all of their passenger cars. They alienated their prime customers for a car that appealed to a broader audience, and in the process turned them off. The people who owned a gen 1/2 were waiting for a better gen3 but instead got a minor h.p. upgrade and bland styling. Now those people have left for a F430, FGT or Z06. Why should they come back? That's the convincing DC is gonna have to do, this engine is a good start but the car is still far from a complete package.

AMEN

lamboman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 14, 2006
Atlanta area

where are you getting your information from that it is capable of 900 h.p. N/A?
**From the people who built the motor.**

Are you suggesting that a 900h.p. n/a engine is feasable for production?
**No..just stating the capability as relayed to me by those in the know. Alot of room between 600 and 900. The FGT motor is capable of HUGE numbers on the stock configuration.... never used however. My point is that the previous 8.3L Viper motor wasn't close to those #'s.**

I don't see the appeal of a car you can get in 1 of 3 exterior colors, big deal.
**8 Exterior color options.**

Dodge's current issue with the Viper echos the same problem the big-3 are having with all of their passenger cars. They alienated their prime customers for a car that appealed to a broader audience, and in the process turned them off.
**Can't comment on GM/Ford, but I don't believe the Viper fits into your statement.**

The people who owned a gen 1/2 were waiting for a better gen3 but instead got a minor h.p. upgrade and bland styling. Now those people have left for a F430, FGT or Z06.
**Do not agree. The Gen1 and 2 owners did not go to a F430, you are suggesting that they jumped from a 45k car to a 200K car because the Gen3 was not for them? Most are still Gen1 and 2 owners...if they did not eventually go to the Gen3. Many Gen3 owners went to an FGT...hardly any Viper owners went to the Z06. Read this thread through from the beginning. It is about GT owners that own Vipers. Most are Gen3 cars.**

bland styling
**Couldn't disagree more with that one.**

PS Are you the guy who used to go by the name of CRAIG 201MPH on the VCA site? Just thought I would ask.

Also...have you ever owned a Viper? Seems that the harshest critics of the car have never personally owned one. Wondered if you fell into that category...or are speaking from experience.

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
lambo... see your PM.
The way I feel lately I wonder if we should petition DBK to turn this site into a private password protected site for owners and enthusiasts.... :thumbsdow :ack :thumbsdow

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
lambo... see your PM.
The way I feel lately I wonder if we should petition DBK to turn this site into a private password protected site for owners and enthusiasts.... :thumbsdow :ack :thumbsdow

NO POSTS FOR YOU.....TWO YEARS!:slap

201MPH

Apr 25, 2006
Toronto
"where are you getting your information from that it is capable of 900 h.p. N/A?"

"Are you suggesting that a 900h.p. n/a engine is feasable for production?"
**No..just stating the capability as relayed to me by those in the know. Alot of room between 600 and 900. The FGT motor is capable of HUGE numbers on the stock configuration.... never used however. My point is that the previous 8.3L Viper motor wasn't close to those #'s.**

"I don't see the appeal of a car you can get in 1 of 3 exterior colors, big deal."

"Dodge's current issue with the Viper echos the same problem the big-3 are having with all of their passenger cars. They alienated their prime customers for a car that appealed to a broader audience, and in the process turned them off."
**Agreed.**

"The people who owned a gen 1/2 were waiting for a better gen3 but instead got a minor h.p. upgrade and bland styling. Now those people have left for a F430, FGT or Z06."
**Do not agree. The Gen1 and 2 owners did not go to a F430, you are suggesting that they jumped from a 45k car to a 200K car because the Gen3 was not for them? Most are still Gen1 and 2 owners...if they did not eventually go to the Gen3. Many Gen3 owners went to an FGT...hardly any Viper owners went to the Z06. Read this thread through from the beginning.**

" bland styling"
**Couldn't disagree more with that one.**

PS Are you the guy who used to go by the name of CRAIG 201MPH on the VCA site? Just thought I would ask.

Also...have you ever owned a Viper? Seems that the harshest critics of the car have never personally owned one. Wondered if you fell into that category...or are speaking from experience.

Your way of quoting hurts my brain....

You know them personally?

Read it again, I said that prior to this 3 color options was a joke.

**Do not agree. The Gen1 and 2 owners did not go to a F430, you are suggesting that they jumped from a 45k car to a 200K car because the Gen3 was not for them? Most are still Gen1 and 2 owners...if they did not eventually go to the Gen3. Many Gen3 owners went to an FGT...hardly any Viper owners went to the Z06. Read this thread through from the beginning.**

I listed the F430 as one of the cars viper owners could progress into. Given the amount of accounts on both Viper communities of people "moving up" into a FGT, an F430 or a gallardo is not a stretch. Guys who buy Vipers new aren't short on cash. The Viper may be a 45K USED car but it was still anywhere in between 75-85K new (gen2). If I recall correctly average household income for a viper owner is in the neighborhood of 200K/year. Tho think that some viper guys didn't abandon the Gen 3 for a Z06 is humerous. Some people buy the ultimate performer regardless of the badge on the hood.

Fact remains that DC shut down production of the Gen 3 to let inventories die down, this new car is going to further erode SRT-10 resale values to levels that will solidify the SRT-10's place as a black smear in the history of the Viper.

"couldn't disagree more"

If I was wrong, then please explain all of the "special editions" to help move inventory. Prior to the first "mamba" the only special editon viper was produced to celebrate the LeMans win. Resale values prove how sought after that car is.

:biggrin

I don't need to contract herpes to know it sucks. ;)

Last edited:

lamboman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 14, 2006
Atlanta area
:biggrin

I don't need to contract herpes to know it sucks. ;)

Thanks for your honesty. I knew the answers to both already. Go troll elsewhere. After all these years....nothing has changes in your routine.

Last edited:

201MPH

Apr 25, 2006
Toronto
Thanks for your honesty. I knew the answers to both already. Go troll elsewhere. After all these years....nothing has changes in your routine.

I was looking forward to your rebuttal, if you ever feel the need to argue about how great the SRT-10 is, give me a shout.

lamboman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 14, 2006
Atlanta area
I was looking forward to your rebuttal, if you ever feel the need to argue about how great the SRT-10 is, give me a shout.

No rebuttal for you. You should get some new material. After almost 4 years of the same stuff....your M.O. is transparent. Have a great one Craig.

Last edited:

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Ford GT owner here just checkin in. :wink i also own a 2001 viper GTS-ACR. its been a great ride for me over the last 5.5 years since i bought it new back in the summer of 2001. i will continue to race it long into the future even when i start racing my GT. see you guys at the track :thumbsup

here is a pic of my viper at speed :cheers

6986ttt.jpg

Last edited:
M

Mark O

PS Are you the guy who used to go by the name of CRAIG 201MPH on the VCA site?

The VCA site is commonly known as Flanders Forum. Take my advise & never tap that out those two words on the keyboard there, because if you do, you'll be the wrath of Flander's banning wand. :eek

201MPH

Apr 25, 2006
Toronto
Ford GT owner here just checkin in. :wink i also own a 2001 viper GTS-ACR. its been a great ride for me over the last 5.5 years since i bought it new back in the summer of 2001. i will continue to race it long into the future even when i start racing my GT. see you guys at the track :thumbsup

Are your consecutive years of ownership GPS verified????

M

Mark O

Here's the problem with the Gen 1/2 versus the Gen 3 Viper. Gen 1 & 2 guys love the sexy curves of that body style, however, most can't stand the Gen 3 body. On the other hand, many lovers of the Gen 3 Viper can't stand the Gen 1 & 2 Vipers.

The Gen 1 & 2 Vipers were completely outrageous styling-wise in their day & that's what turned people (like me) on. The Gen 3 styling was purposely toned down in an attempt to lure bowtie Vette owners to become goat-head Viper owners.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Are your consecutive years of ownership GPS verified????

Craig,
Look up at the top of the page, your at THE FORD GT FORUM, this is a civil place, not one where a newbie spectator with half a dozen posts questions the integrity of the owners. You would think that after being banned at FERRARI CHAT and the Viper boards you would have learned something. Obviously not. If you want to learn about Ford GT's this is a great place to read. If you want
to fight, why not try the Vette boards, your kind of behavior seems to be the norm over there. Seems like December is the month to bring out every troll.
Bony
:troll :slap :devil :smash :shrug :troll :slap :devil :shrug :smash :troll :devil :shrug :smash

lamboman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 14, 2006
Atlanta area
Here's the problem with the Gen 1/2 versus the Gen 3 Viper. Gen 1 & 2 guys love the sexy curves of that body style, however, most can't stand the Gen 3 body. On the other hand, many lovers of the Gen 3 Viper can't stand the Gen 1 & 2 Vipers.

The Gen 1 & 2 Vipers were completely outrageous styling-wise in their day & that's what turned people (like me) on. The Gen 3 styling was purposely toned down in an attempt to lure bowtie Vette owners to become goat-head Viper owners.

It may surprise you that over 75% of Gen3's are owned by guys who had Gen1 +2's, or have Gen1+2's. There are some who will never like the Gen3...or the Gen4 if and when that happens. I liken it to the Diablo/Murci change. Most Diablo owners...myself included, vowed never to own a less outrageous Bull like the toned down Murci. Of course I eventually updated, got with the times...as most other Diablo owners did. Still have the more outrageous Diablo...but times and cars evolve. Few designs are timeless...and the Gen 1+2 Viper is not one of them. I still have them...but they serve another purpose for me. Some will stick with their Gen1 +2's...and curse the day that Dodge toned down the Viper. Those individuals are becoming less and less by the day. Viper guys are a different breed. Most like the lack of techno devices...most enjoy the raw edge of the car...and the fact that it is a drivers car. Great brakes, power, handling...all with a relatively bulletproof drivetrain, and easy to mod to hell and back if that suits your fancy. The Gen3 still gives you all of that and more. I know there is no convincing you..or some others. To each his own.

Last edited: