How can you increase supercharger wine?

MidnightBlueGT

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2019
Palos Verdes, CA
I have a 2007 Shelby GT500 and one of my favorite things about it is the sound. The car is stock and the supercharger absolutely screams! The sound is intoxicating!

I am curious why the GT(also stock), which has a very similar engine, sounds so different?
The GT500 supercharger sound is more of a "wine/screech" whereas the GT is more of a "low hum/howl".

I would like to increase the supercharger wine on the GT... to make it sound more like my GT500. Is this possible? If so, how?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
In a word, no. Maybe you could figure out a way to pipe-in some whine through the speakers?

I agree with you that the machinery-at-work whine is VERY intoxicating. The sound is attributed to the straight-cut gears driving the rotors within the SC - as well as the rotors meshing together to create compression. Each model supercharger is going to have its own characteristic whine.... but really nothing that you can do to change it :(

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
In a word, no. Maybe you could figure out a way to pipe-in some whine through the speakers?

That's a BMW trick! hah!

Reactions: Special K

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Focus RS has “piped in sound” via the speakers. I unplugged it...

MidnightBlueGT

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2019
Palos Verdes, CA
I changed the intake on my GT500 to a unit from K&N and this pleasantly increased the supercharger sound.
The K&N unit is basically a replacement for the stock unit and does not require a tune. It is pretty much just for the purpose of increasing the SC noise. From the factory, Ford actually puts a "muffler" in the cold air intake on the GT500's(too much whine?)... I wonder if changing the intake on the GT would have a similar effect as with my GT500?

But, I don't know where to start with this because it seems all aftermarket alternatives use the stock airbox. The one that says "Ford GT" on each side.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
@MidnightBlueGT your new here, welcome.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Drain the oil out of the front of it, It'll be louder, for a while.

Reactions: THamonGT

thegtguy

*Supporting Vendor* GT Owner
Apr 20, 2006
MI
There is always something that can be done if you put enough work into it. This will definitely make the s/c whine inside the cabin, especially with the AL tube. The carbon tube doesnt make it as loud but you can still hear it. At Rally 6 in UT many guys thought my car had a TT on it but it was just the CAK.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
If I recall correctly, the superchargers on the '05/'06 FGTs are driven by 'ribbed' belts?

Somewhere back in the cobweb-infested corners of what's left of my brain, I seem to recall Gilmer belt-driven superchargers make more noise (whine/whistle) than ribbed belt-equipped units due to air being trapped & released in the 'drive pulley groves as the whole assembly rotates. If that IS true, probably for less than the cost of a kitchen remodel, one ought to be able to create a 'Gilmer conversion kit' for the stock FGT blower (assuming one doesn't already exist...which I seriously doubt). 'Boils down to how badly you want the extra noise vs. all the trouble and the cash outlay it'll take to get it.

'Goes w/o saying that you should CHECK on the ribbed vs. Glimer noise level thing being a reality first though! ;-)

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
I have Rich’s cold-air kit and retro exhaust and when you stomp on it you definitely hear a manic screeching! Could one factor be 500 has engine ahead, GT has engine behind? Old Beetles were always quiet coz the motor was in the back

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Jam more grapes into it.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Due to my "old age hearing reduction" the only time I hear the SC is in the garage or driving through a tunnel.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Amen Brother!

Iconic GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 30, 2017
New Braunfels, Texas
Here ya go!

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
"Jam more grapes into it." Funny........I just got it.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Spin it faster with a smaller pulley helps increase the power and pitch a bit. I have that in stock https://unleashedtuning.com/ford-gt-sct-x4-2-8-pulley-package/

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Jam more grapes into it.
I love the taste of supercharger wine! LOL. Beats the whine any time!

Ed

Reactions: tmcphail

DG1

GT Owner
Sep 21, 2016
Toronto
I love the taste of supercharger wine! LOL. Beats the whine any time!

Ed

:)

Attachments

• AFED20C8-C2FC-4D00-8D07-235B7A5C2092.jpeg
    AFED20C8-C2FC-4D00-8D07-235B7A5C2092.jpeg
    107.2 KB · Views: 26
Reactions: 68Rcodeman

TORQJNKY

GT Owner
Apr 18, 2013
Chesapeake VA
You could have the blower ported and spin it a little harder (with a tune of course), unless you are trying to do it unmolested.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Just take the glass out.