Halfshaft Bolts

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRIVEBY

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 17, 2006
Las Vegas
Just had my half shaft bolts fail for the second time. Ford fixed it the first time 1 1/2 back and just went back to the dealer again today. What sucks the most is that I won't have an AMERICAN car for Indepence Day. Thanks Ford.

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
If the weather holds out Thursday afternoon my baby is getting the accufabs done by the world famous GT guys.:thumbsup

Of course the weather has to coperate as the trip is a long one. I need to study all the rest areas and hotels. Best I can figure its going to take at least an hour with all the construction. :thumbsup

Ok a little smug but when your from Michigan you got to hang your hat on something good.....it certianly isn't the roads or the warm winters and definetly not our business climate.

Hail to the Accufab and GT guys.

K-P Garage

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Longwood, Florida
accufab the answer?

I just bought two sets of the accufab bolts to put in my cars. They come with a note that sez that in their opinion there is a problem of looseness between the spline and the flange and that they are working on a fix. They go on to say that the looseness causes the failure of the factory bolts. Does it mean failure of the factory bolts but not the accufab ones? Why would they be working on a fix if the accufab bolts alone will do the job?:confused For now, does not seem like the accufab bolts are the answer.

Gimbal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 11, 2007
Queenstown, New Zealand
Hi K-P Garage,
You are right, the Accufab bolts and washer are not the answer. However they are your best bet at the moment. The Accufab bolts are, what I call, very nice bolts. They may not prevent an axle failure any more or less than the Ford bolts but are surely a better bolt to choose from between the two, IMO.
It is interesting that Accufab is working on a fix and that Ford seems close to a fix. Can Accufab (sorry I don't know who the people are) elaborate on the progress of their fix since they do mention they are working on one?
Any news from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Failures are still happening and until a decent fix is figured out we should all still keep searching for the exact cause and an answer. Seems cars that have broken tend to break again. This is in line with what DBk says Ford says that some cars may never have a failure.
It would be nice to get some feedback from people who have had failures.
This Forum is really pretty good but a little lacking on feedback from actual axle failures.
I still say replace your bolts every so often until a fix gets figured out.
Thanks,
Gimbal

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
the answer is promised at the rally...

Gimbal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 11, 2007
Queenstown, New Zealand
I'm bummed I won't be able to make the rally but is it possible to attend the Q&A session regarding the halfshaft bolts?

K-P Garage

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Longwood, Florida
promised at the rally?

Bony-Why the suspense? I thought the answers would be coming at the rally last year. Thanks fo ryour help. K

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
K-P garage, you are right, the actual failure scenerio is not precisely known. Thats why it is IMPORTANTfor as much axle bolt failure info be posted by those owners experiencing a failure as possible. Miles on the bolts, failure events speeds, gears etc, replacement parts used, servicing dealership, second failure etc. Trying to design a fix for something that breaks without knowing WHY it breaks is almost impossible ergo the delay in Ford issuing an "end-all" fix. The bolt breakage cannot be regularly repeated and the loads on the bolts are not sufficient to cause concern. The failure mechinism has to be pinpointed and quantified to correctly design a solution. Data is the key.....

Thanks Gimbel, I agree with your post. Hope you can attend the technical session at the national event.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Bony-Why the suspense? I thought the answers would be coming at the rally last year. Thanks fo ryour help. K

Hello Kevin,
I know as much as you do, I am waiting for the onion to be peeled. Ford said they would do it at the rally. Guess it is like waiting for the judge.
Happy fourth and
God Bless America,
daniel:wink

quick time

GT Owner
Jul 27, 2006
DBK says an answer is coming from Ford anytime from now up until the Rally. DBK says that Ford has the solution. I take DBK at his word that this will happen. I just wish it would be sooner than later and hope that it is a REAL fix for this problem.

H

HHGT

Hello Kevin,
I know as much as you do, I am waiting for the onion to be peeled. Ford said they would do it at the rally. Guess it is like waiting for the judge.
Happy fourth and
God Bless America,
daniel:wink

What the hell are you doing up so early?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Bony is ever vigilent, protecting us in cyberspace.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I'm going to stay cordial, but please remember I don't work for Ford. I got a phone call about the issue. They said sometime between now and the rally there would be a fairly major announcement. In case I haven't mentioned this before (*hint* I have), the problem is occurring on a small number of cars and it will most likely never happen to most cars. That creates an issue in trying to replicate the problem and therefore verify the solution.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Bony Late Nights??

What the hell are you doing up so early?

From a prior post: The 'Bony' handle actually is a call center back room posting operation in a low cost country. Time of day is never an issue when you are operating eight time zones away.... :biggrin

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
this is true, we are have sacred cow for lunch today.... this afternoon I am in charge of the Dell-no-help line:banana :banana :banana :willy :banana :banana :banana

Gimbal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 11, 2007
Queenstown, New Zealand
Does anyone else have the same problem I do with Bony's fantastic animated icon? Seems everytime I see it I can't help but stare at it for a second or two!

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Does anyone else have the same problem I do with Bony's fantastic animated icon? Seems everytime I see it I can't help but stare at it for a second or two!
My question: Is she going to be at the upcoming rally?

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL

I'm glad that Bony got that avatar back on-line, when he switched to the animated one, I was sorely disappointed!

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma

Whenever I'm feeling a little low, I just click on Bony's avatar and I feel much better. Life would be much emptier for me without her (them)! :banana

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Whenever I'm feeling a little low, I just click on Bony's avatar and I feel much better. Life would be much emptier for me without her (them)! :banana

I must figure out how to get the avatar to full window size.:eek

Thursday its off to get accufab bolts installed by the GT guys

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.