Status
Not open for further replies.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
You're right - it should probably be a recall I guess, but I wouldn't particularly want Ford to avoid the problem on cost grounds, so I'd rather pay. If it turns out to be a free fix, well that'll be a bonus - but it won't tempt me to buy another GT. There aren't any! :biggrin

'Agree 100%, Neil.

But, the possibility that we could be told, "We have the solution to our design flaw ... but, you, Mr. Owner, are going to have to pay for it if you want it installed", just doesn't seem proper given the circumstances.

I'd be extreemly surprised if Ford actually took that stand.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
"Toyota" Approach

At the risk of incurring flack from some for saying so, it OUGHT to be an "unofficial recall" replacement under warranty for very, very obvious reasons.:bored But, I'm going to get it done regardless just to REMOVE the black cloud. (I'd like to be able to take the car for loooong rides out of town w/o having a towing company on speed dial...not to mention sweating a 'bolt failure every time I leave a stop sign/light at a busy intersection.:bang )

Just my $.02.

Ford sends owners a letter - "As a matter of Customer Satisfaction, please bring in your vehicle for a free 36 point inspection & tire rotation". Vehicle kept overnight, returned to owner with a $500 off coupon a 2008 Shelby GT.

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Great news, Dave. Thanks for the update!:thumbsup

M C B

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 13, 2007
Motor City
Whether or not Ford covers the fix, I would recommend having it done by those who are most familiar with the vehicle. I just watched the GT guys install an Accufab kit, and they performed as if it was second nature to them. In reality, it could get tricky, and I doubt any Ford dealer mechanics are familiar enough with these beasts to satisfy the majority of the GT owners. I refer back to the several nightmare stories here on the forum.
Remember, 'this ain't no oil change'.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Ford sends owners a letter - "As a matter of Customer Satisfaction, please bring in your vehicle for a free 36 point inspection AND TIRE ROTATION".

Tire rotation? TIRE ROTATION???!! I don't want no stinkin' tire rotation!!!!:eek

(Nor will I go for the car staying over night!!!!!!!!!:cheers )

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Tire rotation? TIRE ROTATION???!! I don't want no stinkin' tire rotation!!!!:eek

(Nor will I go for the car staying over night!!!!!!!!!:cheers )

OK you're right, that was very shortsighted; your letter will read:

In an effort to enhance customer satisfaction, promote GT owner goodwill and brand loyalty, Ford would like to offer you a unique opportunity to customize your vehicle. Please drop-off your GT and we will install a customized side sill plate to read as follows -​
"Built especially for EP"

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
Dave it's nice to see someone take the lead here. Thanks for the follow up and helping push for some communication to the owners. :thumbsup

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
OK you're right, that was very shortsighted; your letter will read:

In an effort to enhance customer satisfaction, promote GT owner goodwill and brand loyalty, Ford would like to offer you a unique opportunity to customize your vehicle. Please drop-off your GT and we will install a customized side sill plate to read as follows -​
"Built especially for EP"

NOW YUR TALKIN'!!!! :lol

(Except for the "drop off" part. I'm stayin' to 'observe'.)

Last edited:

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I have not heard of any failures with the accufab bolts,has anyone had the failure with em?
At least now I don't have to listen to my wife about it! When we had the failure she couldn't believe it ! new car, what it cost and how I rave about how well engineered it is!

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
NOW YUR TALKIN'!!!! :lol

(Except for the "drop off" part. I'm stayin' to 'observe'.)

You are one tough customer!! :rofl

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
You are one tough customer!! :rofl

Da wurstest!!! :biggrin

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Thanks Dave. Look forward to hearing about the solution. Although mine has not failed yet....I will most assuredly elect to have it fixed to avoid being out somewhere should the original design fail. Good work!

Mamzer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2006
South Florida
2nd Failure

This AM on my way to work I had a bolt failure, second time. The first time I had both sides "done" as a precaution by a Ford dealer. This time it happened while my car was moving. Scary. Thankfully I was able to use the momentum to coast to a side street to wait for the tow. Lightning can strike twice. Is there ever going to be a real fix?

quick time

GT Owner
Jul 27, 2006
This AM on my way to work I had a bolt failure, second time. The first time I had both sides "done" as a precaution by a Ford dealer. This time it happened while my car was moving. Scary. Thankfully I was able to use the momentum to coast to a side street to wait for the tow. Lightning can strike twice. Is there ever going to be a real fix?

Sorry to hear about this. I hope Ford really has a solution forthcoming. We shall see.
Could you please provide your Vin# and year of car as some of us are keeping a record of these failures. I think your failure coming after you had already replaced the original parts do to failure, is only the second one I have heard of. Also could you tell us about how fast you were traveling at the time of the failure. Were you shifiting gears at the time? Thanks again.

Gimbal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 11, 2007
Queenstown, New Zealand
Hello Mamzer,
I'm sorry to hear you had the axle failure but glad to hear you are ok.

I'm guessing your axles and hub probably have some sort of feature that speeds up the failure. You might have more backlash in the splines or bigger gaps or who knows?

Is there any chance of getting some measurements or at least someone to look very closely at your axle parts? I'm not sure where you are located but if you were close to someone who could take an eagle eye look they may discover something on your car that sheds some light to the exact failure reason that might be less noticeable in other cars.

Not sure how I can help but I would be happy to do anything I could if you have any thoughts.

It's great news from DBK that Ford has a fix in the works and hope we can find out what the fix is soon.

Thanks a lot,
Gimbal

quick time

GT Owner
Jul 27, 2006
Hello Mamzer,
I'm sorry to hear you had the axle failure but glad to hear you are ok.

I'm guessing your axles and hub probably have some sort of feature that speeds up the failure. You might have more backlash in the splines or bigger gaps or who knows?

Is there any chance of getting some measurements or at least someone to look very closely at your axle parts? I'm not sure where you are located but if you were close to someone who could take an eagle eye look they may discover something on your car that sheds some light to the exact failure reason that might be less noticeable in other cars.

Not sure how I can help but I would be happy to do anything I could if you have any thoughts.

It's great news from DBK that Ford has a fix in the works and hope we can find out what the fix is soon.

Thanks a lot,
Gimbal

I hope the "news" from Ford comes sooner rather than later and that they have a real "solution" for this problem.

quick time

GT Owner
Jul 27, 2006
Good News!!!! I have have the car for 10 months and have driven only 200 plus miles. I have been scared to leave town. Thanks to everyone who worked on getting this done!

It's not done yet. I am waiting until the "fat lady" sings!

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
George M. and Bill K. - You guys should post information about your half-shaft bolt failures (Bill x2). VIN #'s, conditions, repairs, observations, etc.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Info Please!

George M. and Bill K. - You guys should post information about your half-shaft bolt failures (Bill x2). VIN #'s, conditions, repairs, observations, etc.

Third solicitation for failure information!!!

Please guys, could you provide any and all information (see above post) regarding your failure experience. This is VERY important and helps all us owners get a Ford fix that solves our problem.

Again, INFO on your failures please!!

Aug 25, 2006
ThunderHill created another failure yesterday

I was called last night and the gal was towed to the local Ford dealership and will have Accufab hardware installed on Monday

No secondary damage was shared however the oil from the transaxle produced enough smoke that the gal was red flaggged upon it happening and the event was then shut down

Now keep in mind that this is how I understand the chain of events because I was not there.

BTW the gal had approx 10K miles; and as the owner shares most of these are during the process of exercising her fairly hard.

All the best

Shadowman

Status
Not open for further replies.