Halfshaft Bolt Failures and Customer Satisfaction Program

red gt 1442

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 23, 2005
NY Metro Area
Gents,
I think if you read CAREFULLY the posts of INDY GT you will conclude that the Ford bolts now being used are equal to ACCUFAB's. Just from another supplier who sources Ford's rod bolts... If you have Accufab's bolts in your covered.
Daniel

I really dont want to beat a DEAD horse..........but....for all you qualified mechanics......are these new bolts (harder compound and all) really the answer to the FGT's problem? I was told that the reason they shear is because of the axel's sloppiness....(for lack of a better word). If this is the case, then may we presume that eventually no matter how hard the bolts are, the same results will happen. If I am right, is Ford addressing the real problem? or is this another band aid on a deep wound that eventually will bleed to death? I may sound dumb, so someone that understands it better than I, can you please explain this to me? Again, if this is going to bring up another year of axel bashing, and the fix...I will understand it, and I will be quiet....someone please set me straight.....TY

Gino

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Gino, you are absolutely correct and you need to dump your car before they hit bottom. Please send it to me (now that it doesn't overheat) and I'll send you a check. Your buddy, Frank

93extxdps

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 17, 2007
Texas
Bolts

Red GT 1442,

This was posted in another thread. May explain the problem.

DP

The axle bolt issue really has little to do with the washer although the new "CA" kit Ford just released and Jamal discussed in our California technical session is a design different than used before. The issue is also NOT a "weak/limp" bolt, as many seem to think (and rethink and rethink...). All the bolts used in the production run as well as the earlier replacement kits used bolts with completely sufficient "strength" it is just they were electroplated to prevent corrosion and the plating (presumably done in Europe where the bolts were sourced) led to surface "hydrogen embrittlement" which led to premature failures. (Go look up this phenomenon on the internet).

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I really dont want to beat a DEAD horse..........but....for all you qualified mechanics......are these new bolts (harder compound and all) really the answer to the FGT's problem? I was told that the reason they shear is because of the axel's sloppiness....(for lack of a better word). If this is the case, then may we presume that eventually no matter how hard the bolts are, the same results will happen. If I am right, is Ford addressing the real problem? or is this another band aid on a deep wound that eventually will bleed to death? I may sound dumb, so someone that understands it better than I, can you please explain this to me? Again, if this is going to bring up another year of axel bashing, and the fix...I will understand it, and I will be quiet....someone please set me straight.....TY

Gino

Gino.
There will be a special NY Tech Sessions at Joey's just for you guys from BBQ and da swamps of Jersey. Special Grandpa's best homemade in the basement
Vino Rosso, real Pisano food catered from Mulberry Street's best, you know, from the neighborhood, it will be served as well,.... you know the real good sauce.
Then we will have biscotti and cookies.. it will be real swell.
Edsel and Jamal will rehash everything. Stand by for the date...:lol:thumbsup:lol
For the rest of us this is as old as the night we busted Mary Sue's cherry.... Ford has resolved the issue and
the matter is closed.
Happy Holidays:thumbsup
Daniel

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
Does anyone know if the Ford kit comes with the 12 torque to yield bolts for the outer flange connection?

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
so i got my letter in the mail yesterday concerning the recall on the halfshaft bolts and washers. so is my best course of action to take my GT to the dealer and have this done now or wait until it breaks. whose to say that it will never break? i am from the old skool were if its not broke i don't want to fix it? call me paranoid but after making several trips to speeds up to 200 mph and never having a problem with my stock ones whose to say that if i change to the new ones that i might start having problems? is the factory recall the best fix or is there something offered thru the aftermarket that is considered to be better. i don't want a band-aid solution to a problem that has not made itslef known on my car yet. so has ford got this fix done right or not? i don't want to mess with it if there fix is not 100% correct to solve the problem.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Freddy...
Your call, Ford has confirmed that your bolts don't meet their specs.
We have had thousands of posts on this subject. We will not be debating it further.
Who knows what will happen if you run with the original bolts,.. not me.
I did what was right for me. I'm sure you will do what is correct for you.
Cheers,
Bony

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
See posts 66-67-68 on this thread, Freddy.

Bottom line is: to be safe, the origionals pbly OUGHT to go "bye-bye". "Much gooder" to PLAN for an hour or two of downtime done on YOUR schedule than to experience the possible alternative...

Just MHO.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Freddy...
Your call, Ford has confirmed that your bolts don't meet their specs.
We have had thousands of posts on this subject. We will not be debating it further.
Who knows what will happen if you run with the original bolts,.. not me.
I did what was right for me. I'm sure you will do what is correct for you.
Cheers,
Bony

to make a long story short i guess what i am really asking is do you guys feel that fords fix for this problem is 100% correct? if so then i will take my car into ford and fix it before it breaks then......

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Yes Freddy!
Ford feels that the problem is solved and the fix is withing super car standards.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Yes Freddy!
Ford feels that the problem is solved and the fix is withing super car standards.

i will be getting this done then this spring when i get my oil changed by the dealer again :thumbsup

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Great Freddy,...
Otherwise you might find on the internet a clip of DBK or me having a panic attack fearing that this matter will be reopened. Here is an example of what you could cause by reopening this issue...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xxty...les.com/smf/index.php?topic=12000.0;topicseen

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Great Freddy,...
Otherwise you might find on the internet a clip of DBK or me having a panic attack fearing that this matter will be reopened. Here is an example of what you could cause by reopening this issue...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xxty...les.com/smf/index.php?topic=12000.0;topicseen

LMAO bony...... thats some HIGH anxiety right there :lol

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Someone needed to find a hammer with which to administer a little "anesthesia", as Moe Howard would say...

Jason's Auto Spa

May 22, 2007
IL & AZ
Great Freddy,...
Those look like the "Relaxed Fit" cuffs :eek

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
so there's aproblem with the half shaft bolts?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Tim is back, guess every house in SoCal is lite up!!
Merry Christmas to you and yours!

speedismyfriend

Dec 18, 2007
Do all the dealers of Ford GT's have the bolts in stock or do I need to call and have them order the parts for me?
all help is appreciated
thank you

Swazi

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 9, 2006
Northern California
just had this done today by frontier ford in santa clara. i was the 3rd or 4th GT they've worked on already, and they seem very familiar with the process.

in general they seem to be a good place to get work done on GT's since they seem to have a lot of them go thru there. i've met both the GT techs there and they both seem quite knowledgable.

the new washer appears more than twice as thick as the old ford washer. sorry i didn't have a camera with me.

the new bolts have a hex, i.e. non-allen head on them.

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
Not all dealers will work on a GT, and the sevice quality varies greatly at those who do. I would check with other forum members about recommendations in your area.

Mine is presently at Treadwell Ford in Mobile getting the bolts changed, as the local Hattiesburg dealer said they wouldn't touch it. (They called today and told me every bolt broke as they were removing them, so anyone hesitating to get the repair should get it done ASAP! This is a real problem, but Ford is taking care of it.)