Halfshaft Bolt Failures and Customer Satisfaction Program

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
says there is a way to tell: The bad parts had allen screw heads, the updated had hex-head bolts.
Absolutely true.... but you have to disassemble the 6 outer bolts to separate the coupling to see inside. The "new" (correct) kit will have 2 hex head bolts recessed into a very thick (~.75") washer. The OEM and "bad" fix will have allen head bolts NOT recessed.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Part Number Requested

Latest ("CA" configuration) and final Ford axle bolt kit upgrade -
Part Number 4G7Z-4B490-A

This is the one you want to get installed.

Earlier Ford replacement kit ("BA" configuration) will not fix the bolt problem as it uses the same electroplated bolts (internal hex wrenching) as OEM supplied by Riccardo in the transaxle.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
CURRENT MARCH 27, 2010 INCIDENT (New Transaxle Failure, after CSP Program):

This past Saturday morning, on March 27, 2010, driving home from a local So Cal car show, where I met with other GT owners, my transaxle failed, coming from a leisurely acceleration from a stop sign, not far from the show.

Bolts are sheared and need to be extracted. Current vehicle mileage is approximately 10,800 miles. 2006 Ford GT, and I am original owner.

PRIOR BACKGROUND (Transaxle Bolts previously replaced under Customer Satisfaction Program):

Around January 2008, the Output Shaft Flange Bolts and Washer were replaced by a local dealer, as per attached documentation, at 5,542 miles.

Dealer is now in possession of my vehicle, indicates cost to extract and replace bolts is estimated at approximately $750.00. I have requested that dealer service advisor request for Ford to cover the cost, although service advisor says that my vehicle is now out of warranty and that they believe Ford will not likely cover claim, but the advisor will submit.

I would like some assistance on interpreting the documentation, as well as some guidance on how best to proceed, if Ford and Dealer both decline coverage. Do we have a local Owner's Representative assigned to Southern California for Ford? Otherwise, I will contact Ford GT Customer Assistance Center at 1-866-742-3673.

My instinct is that Ford should cover the repair, as it is a known recurring issue, in spite of their Customer Service Program (0B749) attempting to set a deadline for fix of 12/31/08, since my original attempt was within that window.

Secondly, and this is where I also need help, is, does it appear the dealership, aware of program (0B749) as advised by me, and stated on invoice, used the most up to date repair kit available (Jan '08)?

The 1/08 invoice shows Washer 7B368 BA and Bolt 4529 AA. Were these the best parts from Ford at the time? Or was there a better kit or combo available?

If not, approximately when did the superior kit become available, and what is it called?

Thanks for any insight. The dealer, at initial glance, does not appear to have an interest in covering the cost to repair. I purchased my GT new, out of state, it was the only way to find the color and equipment combination I wanted at the time (9/06).

It is my hope, as a matter of principle, that either Ford or the Dealer will step up to the plate with some encouragement. But I want to make sure I have some proper information first, and whether it seems that I should pursue the manufacturer or the dealer. Or if I should just eat the cost myself.

Any advice appreciated.

Last edited:

Jan A. Byrd

GT Owner
Aug 21, 2006
Percy IL
Mine is one of the last build which was the last of June 06. I took mine to the local Ford dealer and they didn't have any way or thought they didn't have a way to jack it up properly. I'm actually glad they called me instead of trying something stupid and causing damage. I talked them into providing me the parts but requiring me to sign a waver to do the repairs myself. I am 59 and have been a mechanic/autobody tech all my life. I felt more confident in doing the repairs myself vs a wet behind the ears tech at the dealership. The repair took a little time but probably due to myself going slow and double checking my actions. One of the two bolts on the left side was intact but cracked. When I tried to remove the bad bold the head simply broke off leaving the bolt flush with the splined axle end. After much consideration deciding how to remove the broken bolt I purchased a small set of Snap-On reversed drill bits. When the drill bit got a really good hold onto the bolt it started moving out. Lord knows what an inexperienced tech may have tried to get this very hard bolt out.
In our area where I live the roads are very bad from heavy truck traffic. Soon after buying the car I was putting my foot into it after leaving intersections from time to time (now I don't). When the rear tires under heavy acceleration would hit the patch work I believe it caused additional stress on the axle bolts causing premature failure. Anyway this is my story. Jan

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
New owner here, please take into account.

Would you come out ahead to pay to have the accufab bolts placed and have greater piece of mind?

Not arguing that you, as an original owner should not be taken care of by Ford, just I have to assume your time is incredibly valuable and how does that come into play?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Randy sorry to hear about this issue coming up once again. I would skip the grief and get some Accufab bolts install by Kendall. Using the best parts with a tech that can do the job right is more important than saving a few bucks. I can't imagine doing the TX mile and having these bolts fail.

An interesting fact is this is the 1st case of the new Ford bolts failing.

Unless this is an April fool joke.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Wow, there were two sets of Ford fixes, the first with some stronger bolts, but the second with much bigger washer with countersunk bolts. You might call the GT hotline, 866-742-3673.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Randy -

The invoice only shows one (1) Washer 7B368 BA installed. Shouldn't there have been 6? Is this a kit number with a larger quantity? (maybe Torrie, Kendall, or Shadowman know)

Ralphie

PS - Post #7 says the replacement part number should have been a kit, 4G7Z-4B490-A for both axles, and not individual parts.

Last edited:

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I seem to recall that it was the washers that were first thought to be the culprit to the failure. The original factory washer had not been heat hardened leading to their deformation under crushing when torquing the bolts. This threw the bolt head off slightly, weakening it.

It was only after a little while that the bolts were found to be sub standard.

I think many of us would be interested if the replacement Ford bolts are failing, perhaps if Kendall (Or someone else here) can take a look at the bolts that have failed, we could confirm if they were indeed replaced with the correct parts.

GEE-TEE

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 1, 2009
Calabasas, California
Hi Kendall,

I know you have checked my car as well as this document from the former owner last year. However, this concerns me as the white lines mentioned seem like they were never interupted... I do recall the first time you had my car you said it seems like this was done but what are the chances of me having the same experience of Randy?

BTW Welcome back SYCOGT. This seems like a scarry experience. What if you were going on the freeway at like 80mph and this had happened?

Attachments

Last edited:

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Randy -

The invoice only shows one (1) Washer 7B368 BA installed. Shouldn't there have been 6? Is this a kit number with a larger quantity? (maybe Torrie, Kendall, or Shadowman know)

Ralphie

PS - Post #7 says the replacement part number should have been a kit, 4G7Z-4B490-A for both axles, and not individual parts.
Good eye Ralphie spotting the single washer. I didn't catch that.

And another good point about the individual parts detail, not a kit.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
To the best of my knowledge the recalled letter didn't go out until the final axle kit was available. For the sake and sanity of all FGT owners, I hope that your FGT had the older parts installed, or they only did one side. Having the latest parts fail in 5K miles would not be good!

If the dealer indeed installed the wrong parts I believe you have a very good case to have the work redone at no cost. However if the dealer the car is at now is the same one that did the original work then it is kind of like have the judge, jury and defense lawyer all on the same team. :ack

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Very good news. Welcome back to the living.

DWR46

GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 20, 2008
Ford's Oasis computer report will show if the recall was performed by a Ford dealer, and also will show if the car owner chose to just receive the recall bolt kit and then have the installatin done elsewhere. So the Ford computer will definitely tell you if a recall kit has been issued for a specific ar.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Good eye Ralphie spotting the single washer. I didn't catch that.

And another good point about the individual parts detail, not a kit.
Sorry to hear Randy..:frown

There are curved plates for the outer 6 bolts not really washers. Two bolts per plate. 3 plates per side.
After seeing both kits if I had to start new I would use the new ford extra thick counter sunk washers with the Accufab/ APR bolts. The APR bolts have a non threaded shoulder which is where the strength is needed. The Ford bolts are threaded all the way to the head which removes critical mass and strength.

Last edited:

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
This is the kit they are using for the fix this time, thanks for the number, it was helpful for verification.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Any Ford dealer should be able to pull up the records by your VIN number. If they were replaced by a Ford dealer, it will show up.

If the Accufab bolts were installed by the previous owner, only he will know. Try to locate and contact him.

Short of that, I believe the only way to find out for sure would be to remove the coupling and visually inspect the bolts themselves.

Whatever you have to do, it's worth it to know. The original bolts MUST be replaced.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate how you each took the time to research and offer timely advice to make sure I have the most current and appropriate fix.

As a general matter, I don't like to dwell on the past, but it is quite helpful in this case to know the history, in determining the best solution for the current problem at hand.

The camaraderie and knowledge makes me very thankful for this forum. When you think about the time it would take to separately track down each member and call and piece together the collective effort.

The forum makes the good things much better, and the bad things much less painful.

Thanks again Gentlemen!

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Thank you Kendall that is very helpful and appreciated.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Search

This topic has been discussed to death. Please use the search function of the Forum.

Both bolt options provide a suitable alternative. Entirely up to the individual owner.