Halfshaft Bolt Answers (all threads merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Per RedRocket's advise, my dealer ordered two kits for my cars on Monday this week, and they come into the dealer today. Both cars are being serviced under the bulletin from Ford with the new parts. Thanks for everyone's posts and advise on the subject. I will let the forum know what they found with the old bolts and washers on the '05 and '06 cars.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Cyclenirvana said:
Summary of failures:
2005 VIN 1245, 1575, and 1641
2006 VIN 765 and 812

Is that the total list of failures.... 5 cars? Seems like there have been more,
or not??

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
I think there are more failures. But I have not been able to confirm this. These are the VIN numbers of members on this site that we know had the bolt actually fail, not simply loosen or had them proactively replaced. Whenever I am dealing with something like this, I always like to get the exact facts...determine what we know and what we don't know. Prevents hysteria, at least most of the time.

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Actually, these are the known VINs (so 6 cars)
Summary of known failures:
2005 VIN 991, 1245, 1575, and 1641
2006 VIN 765 and 812

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
bony said:
Is that the total list of failures.... 5 cars? Seems like there have been more,
or not??
It has been said by Ford personnel on the GT "coldline" that less than 1% have failed so that would be something less than 40 right? Seems like substantially more than 6 :eek

Last edited:

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Probaby is more than 6...but all I can confirm from this site are 6 total.

lthlvpr

GT Owner
Mar 8, 2006
Actually, there have been about 40 failures if my memory serves me correctly.
Most likely more would have occurred but many people have been proactive and got the upgraded parts before anything had a chance to happen; paying out of their own pocket.

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
This may be true but I have been unable to verify this. I know that one other person Black GT had a failure. As soon as I get that VIN I will post it, bringing the total to 7 on this site. Obviously, there are others...but being the scientist/physician that I am, I want to see the VINs first. Show me the VINS! As Reagan said, "Trust but verify."

Hammer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 10, 2006
San Diego, CA
Add one more half shaft bolt failure to the list. I was taking the GT out for a drive this weekend, when I suddenly lost power. Tried to put it into first , second, third -- the engine sounded fine, but nothing happened when I let out the clutch in any gear. Coasted into a gas station, talked to the local Ford dealer (who was less than a block away), told 'em I likely needed a half shaft bolt repair. They were very nice, got me on the phone to Roadside Assistance, and an hour or so later a flat bed tow truck arrived, towed the car to the dealer, and they are now going to repair both sides on the basis of the current TSB from Ford. It should be ready tomorrow or the next day. The only down side so far is that the tow hook scraped the plastic on the air inlet next to the grill during the tow. So once the half shafts are done, I have to figure out who can fix the scraped air inlet. It's not that big a deal, but it was pristine before, and it shouldn't have happened. Anyway, everybody should consider getting those half shaft bolts replaced as soon as possible. If this had happened on a long ride out in the boonies, it would have been a much bigger problem. My car is an 06, VIN #1166, with a build date of April 06, so I had thought I would have been in the clear, but no such luck.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
What is the number of failure with the newly designed washers? Maybe Ford hasn't done a recall because even the new parts correctly install the parts will fail over time. It could be a more serious design flaw. I hope not.

Ford must of been well aware of the problems from early cars and came up with the revised parts that are still failing!

BlackICE

Aug 25, 2006
Darn..... I keep saying to myself that this situation will fall off the proverbial map and yet nary a day goes by that another post isn't made...uuugh

When I spoke with Rich aka the GT Team we discussed this and his feeling was that there were a few failures and larger number of pro-active replacements done; I am starting to wonder what the real end game is.

It would appear to me that the only way to control this is with the bolts be wire tied as such I am finally ready to ask; who has the kits because I would like a set for both sides.

My reason is simply peace of mind; when I exercise my gal we typically go the distance of the idea of sitting along side the road in who knows where waiting for a fricken flatbed that may or may not be able to load the gal would frustrate me to no end.

BTW; I have a late 06 build 1730 if one can trust the numeric process.

Takes care

Shadowman

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Darn..... I keep saying to myself that this situation will fall off the proverbial map and yet nary a day goes by that another post isn't made...uuugh

When I spoke with Rich aka the GT Team we discussed this and his feeling was that there were a few failures and larger number of pro-active replacements done; I am starting to wonder what the real end game is.

It would appear to me that the only way to control this is with the bolts be wire tied as such I am finally ready to ask; who has the kits because I would like a set for both sides.

My reason is simply peace of mind; when I exercise my gal we typically go the distance of the idea of sitting along side the road in who knows where waiting for a fricken flatbed that may or may not be able to load the gal would frustrate me to no end.

BTW; I have a late 06 build 1730 if one can trust the numeric process.

Takes care

Shadowman

without wanting to make my buddy, GT Joey nutso, I have caved in.
tired of reading about these failures, not wanting one. The GT Guys will
safety wire after replacing my bolts this Saturday. Hope the car makes it from Fresno to Dublin or I phucked:banana :willy :banana

quick time

GT Owner
Jul 27, 2006
Add one more half shaft bolt failure to the list. I was taking the GT out for a drive this weekend, when I suddenly lost power. Tried to put it into first , second, third -- the engine sounded fine, but nothing happened when I let out the clutch in any gear. Coasted into a gas station, talked to the local Ford dealer (who was less than a block away), told 'em I likely needed a half shaft bolt repair. They were very nice, got me on the phone to Roadside Assistance, and an hour or so later a flat bed tow truck arrived, towed the car to the dealer, and they are now going to repair both sides on the basis of the current TSB from Ford. It should be ready tomorrow or the next day. The only down side so far is that the tow hook scraped the plastic on the air inlet next to the grill during the tow. So once the half shafts are done, I have to figure out who can fix the scraped air inlet. It's not that big a deal, but it was pristine before, and it shouldn't have happened. Anyway, everybody should consider getting those half shaft bolts replaced as soon as possible. If this had happened on a long ride out in the boonies, it would have been a much bigger problem. My car is an 06, VIN #1166, with a build date of April 06, so I had thought I would have been in the clear, but no such luck.

HAMMER: How many miles did your car have at the time of failure?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
1/2 shaft bolt failure.

OKAY. That "cuts it". I'm calling my dealer & setting something up. My car is an '06 (#1079), and, UNTIL NOW, I haven't seen a post about ANY '06 having the pblm past #850 or so.

My dealer has been bugging me to fill out their "dealer satisfaction" card (from when they sold me the car) but, I haven't dunnit yet. GOOD! This will give me leverage!

E.P.

Hammer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 10, 2006
San Diego, CA
1820 miles.

quick time

GT Owner
Jul 27, 2006
1820 miles.

Thank you.

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
Please note the TSB 06-23-08 refers also to the common 'transaxle leak'. The fix I have seen is the tech applies a bead of silicon to seal it. So get your guys to do a thorough check and repair.

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Summary of 8 known failures:
2005 VIN 991, 1245, 1575, and 1641
2006 VIN 765, 812, 1166
and BlackGT (don't know his VIN number yet).
Numbers appear to spanning quite a range now.

Last edited:

jasper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 17, 2006
australia/ 51st state
without wanting to make my buddy, GT Joey nutso, I have caved in.
tired of reading about these failures, not wanting one. The GT Guys will
safety wire after replacing my bolts this Saturday. Hope the car makes it from Fresno to Dublin or I phucked:banana :willy :banana

what nuts you talking about daniel:biggrin

should get ya plugs checked too.:willy

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
what nuts you talking about daniel:biggrin

should get ya plugs checked too.:willy

Squirels eat nuts...
Nah.... put new NGK's TR6 when the BIG WHIPPLE was installed.
Got to support THE GT GUYS, everything is perfect on the car, so I was looking for something to do. Also installing the short throw shifter, cause I am lazy:biggrin :biggrin

Status
Not open for further replies.