Halfshaft Bolt Answers (all threads merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
It's always okay to safety wire any fastener.

Jay, I agree with you 100% about the use of threadlocking and safety wiring. But I had mine safety wired by the GTGuys, because as we all know it is a "BAD DESIGN", and I need that false sense of security. I am not sleeping well until we have a real long term solution. Until then monitoring of the parts in questions is the prudent thing to do.

Also thanks for the wonderful pictures of the area of concern.
BlackICE,

Exactly! I cannot sleep either. Right now I feel much better knowing that my car had not developed a problem after almost 7,000 mi. It's always okay to safety wire any fastener.

I think that I have a reasonable fix for minimizing the clearance, meaning that the hub will not wobble when on the axle. I need a pair of hubs to modify, this way I will not have any down time on my car.

Glad you liked the info. More to come, Jay

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Shiny washer may make contact in the center only.

OK, I lied. Back in.

Jay - does the washer sit flat on the axle, or is there a gap? Was wondering if we need to plastigauge that spot and maybe add a shim?
AZGT,

Good question! Gimbal created some nice drawings that helped me anticipate what things were going to look like when disassembled. There is about a 0.040-0.050 inch gap between the axle and the washer. I think I'll have evidence soon that the washer makes contact in the center only. This assumes you have an earlier, soft steel washer (the shiny one). The black hardened Ford washers will not bend very much, about 0.005 inch at the center. The Accufab will bend a little less. A shim could change things, however due to the overall design, it probably wouldn't be of much benefit. It would have to be a precision and unique thickness for each axle.

I will post more data on my old washers in the next few days.

Thanks, Jay

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
AZGT,

Good question! Gimbal created some nice drawings that helped me anticipate what things were going to look like when disassembled. There is about a 0.040-0.050 inch gap between the axle and the washer. I think I'll have evidence soon that the washer makes contact in the center only. This assumes you have an earlier, soft steel washer (the shiny one). The black hardened Ford washers will not bend very much, about 0.005 inch at the center. The Accufab will bend a little less. A shim could change things, however due to the overall design, it probably wouldn't be of much benefit. It would have to be a precision and unique thickness for each axle.

I will post more data on my old washers in the next few days.

Thanks, Jay

Interesting. If there is a gap, then the stress would be on the bolts to hold everything, and the center would dip. The thicker washer still would leave the bolts doing all the work. What about what I mention before, a washer with a slightly thicker center to make sure it is snug on the axle. Seems that would strengthen the whole area. Also would help dissipate some of the force over the washer surface rather than just the bolts.

Maybe the gap / dimensions do need to be precise and the plastigauge and super thin shims used. Don't know if that is the answer, but seems that it couldn't hurt.

Attachments

• washer.jpg
    washer.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Interesting. If there is a gap, then the stress would be on the bolts to hold everything, and the center would dip. The thicker washer still would leave the bolts doing all the work. What about what I mention before, a washer with a slightly thicker center to make sure it is snug on the axle. Seems that would strengthen the whole area. Also would help dissipate some of the force over the washer surface rather than just the bolts.

Maybe the gap / dimensions do need to be precise and the plastigauge and super thin shims used. Don't know if that is the answer, but seems that it couldn't hurt.

Jay had discussed this before, maybe 50 posts ago. Also one could shave ~0.050 or whatever is needed from the back side of the flange. The problem is that needs to be customize for each axle and may still not solve the problem.

Last edited:

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Just a small note of thanks for all the continuing work on this conundrum - I can't contribute, just merely stand on your shoulders for a better view! However it's appreciated by all us non-technical folk... :cheers

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Just a small note of thanks for all the continuing work on this conundrum - I can't contribute, just merely stand on your shoulders for a better view! However it's appreciated by all us non-technical folk... :cheers

+1

Gimbal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 11, 2007
Queenstown, New Zealand
Just for info. I took my GT out to the Thunderhill raceway about an hour north of Sacramento last Saturday. There was an open track event, not really full blown racing but enough for plenty of thrills. I was able to open it up pretty good, lots of fun and taking it near the limit. I had no problems, axles still intact, no motor problems. The GT definately has some sh*#t under the hood! Lots of muscle cars out there I was able to keep up with and overtake on the straights.

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
Perfect track for the car Gimbal. In fact, they used that exact track for "The One" commercial!

It's certainly awesome on a track. Car's magic goes beyond the amazing heritage, timeless shape, record-breaking development time, easy-going nature, one-in-a-lifetime offering from a domestic, world-class perfor...

Oh hell! The car is F*$@king Awesome!!:banana

Woboose

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 2, 2006
Malibu, CA
Snap, clunk clunk, bang, no more gears!

:frown Okay, What do i need to know? I'm driving along yesterday at slow speed. I'm thinking I snaped a bolt. I felt the pop, then an odd methodical sound as if something was stuck to the tire or break pad and rubbing on every rotation. Lost use of gears. Puddle of trans fluid on the floor. It happened last night and I'm just now approaching the mental state to pop the clamshell and have a look. Visions of the GT on that flat bed - oh life can be cruel. The car is #1663 and I think the build date is 6/15/06. Approx 7,000 miles. I'm planning on calling Beurge Ford in Santa Monica in the morn'.

What say you my Halfshaft / Transaxle zen masters?

What do I need to know?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
:frown Okay, What do i need to know? I'm driving along yesterday at slow speed. I'm thinking I snaped a bolt. I felt the pop, then an odd methodical sound as if something was stuck to the tire or break pad and rubbing on every rotation. Lost use of gears. Puddle of trans fluid on the floor. It happened last night and I'm just now approaching the mental state to pop the clamshell and have a look. Visions of the GT on that flat bed - oh life can be cruel. The car is #1663 and I think the build date is 6/15/06. Approx 7,000 miles. I'm planning on calling Beurge Ford in Santa Monica in the morn'.

What say you my Halfshaft / Transaxle zen masters?

What do I need to know?

I thinks yuh already knows, Suh.:ack

An' I'm gunna ask you the same question: "Even" or "uneven" gaps??????

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Bruce,

Good news is that it is probably the famed bolt failure (and nothing worse). My recommendation is to use Accufab's kit instead of the Ford kit. PM me if you're really adverse to taking into to Ford. Repairing it at home in your driveway is another possibility.

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Woboose, I am #852 so I guess I an screwed as well. Did zim32 change his bolts and washers? I will send you the name and number of the GT guy at Buerge Ford. Let me know what he says so I can go in after you get rebuilt. I bought the hardened washers 6 months ago anticipating the failure. Best have it done prophylatically, eh? I would not watnt o run on the So Cal Santa Monica Mtns Run coming up and end up on some mountain curve trying to get a tow.

This is disappointing news to say the least. :thumbsdow

Has there been a reported failure of the replacement hardened washers or bolts?

Last edited:

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Use the Accufab kit. It is superior in every way to the current Ford kit.

Accufab includes the six bolts to put the couler back together, the Ford kit does not. (You MUST purchase these bolts as they are one time use only and they're not part of the Ford "kit" - go figure.)

Accufab bolts are superior (ARP sourced).

Accufab's washer is thicker and as much if not more hardening than Ford's.

quick time

GT Owner
Jul 27, 2006

Accufab includes the six bolts to put the couler back together, the Ford kit does not. (You MUST purchase these bolts as they are one time use only and they're not part of the Ford "kit" - go figure.)

Ddo you have contact information for Accufab?

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA

Gimbal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 11, 2007
Queenstown, New Zealand

Are the 6 Accufab bolts re-usable unlike the Ford bolts? Or do the Accufab bolts also get stretched an thus can also only be used once?

Does anyone know the part numbers for just the two M8 bolts from Accufab?

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Are the 6 Accufab bolts re-usable unlike the Ford bolts? Or do the Accufab bolts also get stretched an thus can also only be used once?

Does anyone know the part numbers for just the two M8 bolts from Accufab?
John,

All of the fasteners are reusable. Call Accufab if you want a special order as they should have everything in stock. The six outer fasteners are far superior quality to the stock ones, however they do look different.

Jay

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
With regard to the half shafts falling out of some of our cars, does anyone know for sure if Ford is going to come up with an official fix? Its been about 8 months since production ended and I believe Ford was aware of the problem before that. How much longer must we wait for Ford??

From some post I have seen, it sounds like they are getting close. I did see the Accufab kit this weekend, a huge improvement. But as you imply this is Ford's Responsibility and Accountability.

We now know they break at any speed, not like the Ford comments in the press release. There is no doubt that this can be very dangerou. But in the end, I would rather have them get it right for the long term and make this a non-issuse like they did with the control arms.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gimbal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 11, 2007
Queenstown, New Zealand
Hi cobrar1339,
Unfortunately all 4000 or so of us are still patiently waiting for a proper and final fix from Ford or someone else. Until that happens I plan on replacing those pesky little bolts on a regular basis with the Accufab bolts.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Hi cobrar1339,
Unfortunately all 4000 or so of us are still patiently waiting for a proper and final fix from Ford or someone else. Until that happens I plan on replacing those pesky little bolts on a regular basis with the Accufab bolts.
John,

I just removed one of my hubs that was upgraded 2 weeks using the Accufab kit. The fasteners were perfect, no change in length!

I will be updating my earlier post on this thread within a few days, sine I had a transaxle seal was damaged during assembly at the factory (Ricardo of course!).

I am also curious as to how the factory attempts to solve this problem...

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.