GT 200MPH Speed Day/Mojave Mile Update Thread

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Congratulations to everyone - especially to the ladies!! Good temps and good weather for a great meeting of friends. Wish I could have joined you!

All of you keep the rest of us very proud! :thumbsup

OCPETE

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Killer Dana, CA
Congratulations speed freaks... You guys are true pioneers....what a great car.. I can't believe it rolls @ 238 +
Amazing

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Congrats Terry!

I got a new number to shoot for.
Hi Jason,
Just got home Sunday night, way tired from too much fun.
Thanks for your comments - I wish you could have been here, I really think you would have had a blast. Tom and Summer put on a fantastic event. We all have to do something like this again. Really fun!
:thumbsup

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
Wow, what a great weekend. Just got home today. I don't think I have ever met a group of people that I enjoyed spending time with as much as I did the past three days. Truly GT owners are one of a kind. It was a pleasure to meet and race with all of you and I hope we do it again.

We took so many pictures and vid I am going to have to sift through it when I have time over the next few days and give a little write up and post some pics. Mitty has promised a write up as well and I know anything I come up with will pale by comparision.

A few quick things for now till the big write up. First we did 220 passes on Saturday with GT's, a Ferrari 458, Porsche Turbo, Nascasr T-Bird cup car and a Lambo Murci 670 SV. All of the runs were between 185-238+ with no break downs and no safety issues. Crazy amounts of 200mph runs. Truly our GT's are a one of a kind car for high speed reliability.

Next I was really happy for everyone that cracked 200.....especially my wife Summer, who learned of the Forum 200MPH list and is going to create a Forum name later today and make a post to get her name on the list. :thumbsup

I was so busy between driving and talking to the group that I have no idea how many new 200mph club members for sure and I will not get the results for at least a week. If all of the participants who drove could post and note their top speed on this thread and how many runs they had as well I would greatly appreciate it. All of the 200mph runs deserve recognition as it is a huge feat, but so do all the drivers that put forth their all and came up a little short. I would enjoy reading your posts about your day as well.

Until I get the detailed info/photos sorted..................:cheers

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Thought you guys might like a couple of photos from the 200MPH Speed Day. I also included pics of the front and back of the t-shirt and race patch that we had made for the event. My wife designed the t-shirt and race patch logo. More photos to come later. Now I have to go pretend that I remember how to work. :lol :cheers

Attachments

• summer avatar.jpg
    summer avatar.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 197
  • Summer 212.6.jpg
    Summer 212.6.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_0017.jpg
    IMG_0017.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 194
  • prison inmate.jpg
    prison inmate.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 190

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
That looks really great! :thumbsup

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
Timing board looks familiar. Same timing company from the Texas Mile?

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
A couple more pics and a quick funny story. My wife is sitting next to me and playing one of her vids on the computer. I watch her poking at the radio with a chapstick in her hands so I asked "What are you doing??" and she says "I could not reach the radio so I needed the chapstick to change songs." :rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl I know that should worry me but it is too funny.

More of a problem is now that she wants to post to get her name in the 200mph club she may see this post. :lol

What a weekend!!

Attachments

• SummersChapstick.jpg
    SummersChapstick.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 291
  • _MG_4012.jpg
    _MG_4012.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 185
  • _MG_3880.jpg
    _MG_3880.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 183
  • _MG_4068.jpg
    _MG_4068.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 288

Craig

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2006
San Diego
It was a great event for my family. My goal was to join the 200 mph club with a pulley and tune. I went blasting by it to 200.1, good enough. Since I had two other people to share the car with I quit after meeting the goal and turned the car over to Jenny, my 17 year old step daughter. After her qualifying pass she did a 179.8 and thought that was fast enough, then turned the car over to her mother, Mary Anne. She maxed at 186.6. Between the three of us the car did 12 passes.

Craig Wright- 200.1
Jenny Pye - 179.8
Mary Anne Ward - 186.6

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
It was a great event for my family. My goal was to join the 200 mph club with a pulley and tune. I went blasting by it to 200.1, good enough. Since I had two other people to share the car with I quit after meeting the goal and turned the car over to Jenny, my 17 year old step daughter. After her qualifying pass she did a 179.8 and thought that was fast enough, then turned the car over to her mother, Mary Anne. She maxed at 186.6. Between the three of us the car did 12 passes.

Craig Wright- 200.1
Jenny Pye - 179.8
Mary Anne Ward - 186.6

Great story Craig, I guess you can say your whole family wears the fire suit!

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Timing board looks familiar. Same timing company from the Texas Mile?

Yes, we use the exact group. Great people.

By the way Mullet, sorry I did not answer some of your questions over the weekend but I hate typing via phone. To answer one of your questions we all (meaning the Heffner/Cooltech TT's) experimented with 6th gear during the day with varying degrees of success. Obviously Kelvin and Terry got it down better than I did. My first 231.5 I hit the rev limiter shortly before the finish which cost me a couple of mph. On my 231.1 later in the day I shifted to 6th a little early to prevent that and was gaining speed though through the finish. My car did not seem to respond to 6th as well and Terry's and Kelvins did. I tried to time the rev limiter on a 229.8 run to have the cut off happen at the finish but that theory did not work for me either. Back to the drawing board for the next time we do this.

I have to say I am beyond thrilled to have run over 230. That was my goal and I made it. I can't wait until I can run again.

Last edited:

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
Hi Tom and everyone,

I'd be glad to share my GT-day experience, and what an experience it was...

I have pulley & tune set up. I did 15 runs in total (Tom inspired me last year as he kept doing the loop, grid to run, grid to run..)!! I started the day with only 20miles on the tank full of 100 octane race gas, and by the time I finished my 12th run, I had to go out to refill with the normal 91 octane, as there was no gas facility at the Mojave airport. So, 12 runs used up ~16 gallon.... talk about gas mileage.....

So, my first run of the day, being rusty, nervous, and believe it or not because I missed the driver’s meet the night before because I went to Willow Spring to get me go-fast 100 octane juice, so during this first run, I lost sight of where the finishline was and lifted off the throttle a little early and got a 195.5mph for my first run. I thought to myself, not bad for being the first run in a year and lifted early. So 4.5mph to reach my goal of 200mph and have all day to do it, things are looking good. However, I committed a few mental and eye/hand coordination errors thru out the day, some due to trying/thinking too much, and some just being careless, more of this later....

Second run, I glued my eyes on the speedometer, instead of the tachometer....first mental mistake, as I should have known better.... At the go, because my eyes were glued to the speedometer, I hang on too long at the rev limiter from 1st to 2nd gear and wasted valuable couple of second there and ended with a 192.8mph...

Third run, I was thinking ok, ok, concentrate and don’t freaking stare at the speedometer, Ed!! So, the flag dropped, I went...1st to second at 7k rpm, great! 7K rpm came up in a flash, get ready to shift to 3rd...... I shifted, but the acceleration, even I was still accelerating but felt less eager....., felt different... I shifted from 2nd to 5th!!! #$%^%$...........(now you know I was really really excited and perhaps trying a bit too hard...), so I just left the gear in 5th for the remainder of the run and got a 190.6mph (come to think about, the GT’s torque band is quite freaking incredibly flexible from 2nd to 5th and still achieved 190.6mph, with just a pulley & tune!)

........Then, came the 10th run, in the 2nd half of this very very good run, I was at mid 180s, all in a sudden I saw the lip of my bonnet moved a little..... then, within a second the bonnet proceeded to lift up between 1 and 2 feet (mind you, by now, all the body panel gaps in the front of the car are already taped up.......)!! I spent a few fractions of a second to think, now what, this is such a good run up until this point, should I keep my right foot on the floor or lift and abandon this great run. For what felt like an eternity, I wised up and lifted..... and ended with a 180.3mph. Man, that run might have been the one that got away..... everything went according to plan on the launch, the line and the shifting... What happened was that with the racing gloves on, my fingers couldn't feel much of anything (that’s why I don’t wear gloves on trackdays....), so when I turned the blade-key to start the engine, I accidentally also pushed the unlock button for the bonnet (so, for those of you with the blade-key, please be careful).... I tell you, that was the most scary thing I had EVER encountered in my life, at 180+mph and it lifted for more than a foot....

All day, I was running in the mid to high 190s...... 195.7; 196.0; 197.7; 196.2; 198.3......... with my best run of the day being 198.7mph!!!

SOOOO close, yet so far!! Can I simply write a check and buy that 1.3mph?????? I had a truly fun day, even I came up ever so slightly short of my goal of the day. A chance to catch up and spend time with old friends (Tom, and now Summer; Terry & Monica; Kendall & Ryan; Clinton; Joe-congrats on your 200.4, and to meet new faces (Hilo Dave & grandson; Rick with the GTX- I'm glad you got the bonnet unlocked; Special Ed; Jack.......) and the encouragement and assistance I rec'd from Tom, Terry and everyone were priceless!!! It is truly the type of event in which it doesn’t matter what you drive and how fast/slow you do, just simply an event everyone there has a common passion, which is cars and doesn’t matter what cars. Great day and great bunch of people, especially the GT-people!!

Aside from the above, I was really impressed with the battles between the Lambo LP-670SV, the new 458s and the new Porsche Turbo S (pkd). They were going at it all day, blow by blow and each time one edged out a fraction of a mph, the other came thru to match it or very close to it...... All day, the lambo, ferrari and porsche turbo S were running between 188.x to 191.x. Soooo closely matched! When the 458 did a 190.x, the LP670SV and the Porsche would come back with a run that matched or came very very close to the same speed +/- a fraction.... it was fun to watch. Then, came the last run group of the day, the LP670SV (my friend Ginger) pulled out a miracle run of 195.2mph (while running 191-ish most of the day) game over because the track is shutting down, hence, no more come back from the 458 or the Turbo S..... That was fun to watch, and such friendly competition.

Same goes to the TT GT competition. Right off the bet, Tom smoked a 221.x first thing in the morning, then, followed up with a higher speed by Terry, then the other "Heritage" did a 232mph and it held for quite awhile as the top speed of the day, then, Monica did a 231!!!, and finally, Terry put the foot down, literally, enough is enough, a all glorious 238.6!! Great event and better group of participants, as each time a new speed or a personal goal is achieved, the cheering is real.....

What would have made it a perfect day for me was if I got 1.3mph faster....; nonetheless, it was a great, great day! Thank you again, Tom and Summer for putting this event together!! As Kumar stated at the other Mojave thread, I really hope there will be another one of these GT-day private event next year because I will definitely give it another crack at 200mph, or more....;) Kendall.....hahahaha. Every little bit helps, maybe I should start my diet now to lose a couple of pounds, it would have gotten me there, right?

I can't wait to read other participants' experience!

Good times, good times.

Ed

Last edited:

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
This was truly a great event. (The part that I was there for) I just wish I could have had more time to spend with everyone. If it happens again (which I truly hope it does).
I will
#1 NOT SCHEDULE A MEETING THE DAY OF TECH INSPECTION. (though I did get more business)
#2 NOT LEAVE MY KEYS IN THE TRUNK WHILE UNLOADING. (The wind blew it closed. You'd think that having my Pastor with me would have given me some good favor with the guy upstairs. :confused)
#3 HAVE THE SPARE KEY WHERE I CAN FIND IT. :ack
#4 CALL DEALERSHIPS FIRST TO MAKE SURE THEY HAVE A REPLACEMENT, AND MAKE SURE THEY HAVE A KEY MAKING MACHINE THAT WORKS. :frown

After all this mess I did make it in time to have four runs. First run was 198 mph., and had some issues with the rpm's. Luckily Kendall was there to replace the plugs. (Thank you Ryan & Kendall) Next run 218 or 19, Third was my best at 220.4, and final was 219.8. Came back to the pits after that with some rough idle and missing. I only stayed long enough to say goodbye to a few people, get the trailer loaded, and head back home with the thought of changing the wheels, loading up the Whipple car, and head back in the morning.
Once I returned home my hectic week finally caught up with me and I slept for 11 hours. And the TT is still in the trailer awaiting Kendalls return.

Tom and Summer were excellent hosts that provided my Pastor and I drinks and cookies on our return. Little did she know that was the only food I ate since 4am that morning. Those cookies were so good I could have cleaned the plate. :thumbsup Until next time.....

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
Shelby

Curious to hear what the rough idle and missing turns out to be. Please let us know.

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
Shelby

Curious to hear what the rough idle and missing turns out to be. Please let us know.

I'll be glad to post once Kendall determines the cause.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
To answer one of your questions we all (meaning the Cooltech TT's) experimented with 6th gear....

I am flattered for the reference but this is a Heffner TT with just a little mojo juice from Ryan and Kendall with the full knowledge and support of Jason. Jason delivered us a super-fantastic "kit" - and all of the speeds and successes we have had are mostly HIS genius!! We are just tickled to have the opportunity to play and tweak... and Jason has been oh-so-cool to work and support us - often with our stupid questions and limited experiences compared to his.

Oh yeah, and it is not possible for crazy owners like Terry who we somehow convince to let us use his car to guinea pig some crazy ideas. It's all fun when it works out as it did this time! Tom - you're in the queue my friend and resident endurance testing machine (and now the Summer co-testing machine!) What the heck are we going to do with two of you?? LOL.

Last edited:

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
I am flattered for the reference but this is a Heffner TT

No disrespect intended at all. I love my Heffner/Cooltech TT (is that better). When people ask me about it I always tell them Heffner kit from Florida installed here by Cooltech in Cali. I use both names as in my opinion it is a group effort, which has included owner input as well. I am just still very punchy after a very long and exhausting weekend. Nothing 20 straight hours of sleep can not cure. :cheers

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I'll be glad to post once Kendall determines the cause.

Probably a vacuum line. If it suddenly feels like it has lopey cams, that's what I'd bet.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Regarding the TT's - for those that think they may be "over the top", Ryan and I were running around talking with everyone and one consequence is that we didn't get to brief the owners where we had newly installed an in-car digital boost controller. (Shame on us!) Long story short, the boost controller always "wakes up" in it's lowest programmed setting. We have set all of the TT cars up at 11.5 -12 psi of boost since that is about the minimum that we can run. On day 1 at the 1.3 mile venue, we watched Aloha and another TT owner (and non Forum member) run a couple of consistent 212-215mph runs. That's when it occured to us that these guys may not know that they need to turn digitally increment the boost controller up. (Subsequent runs were in to high 220 and 230 arena.)

The root of the story is that a TT can run lazily all day long at a less-than-stock boost setting and still hammer out 215's in the 1.3 mile. Pretty amazing stuff. Put differently, the TT's lugging along at <12psi easily bested all of the Whipple cars. No disrespect at all to Whipple owners but just a case in point that the strong suit of the SC is it's instant on capability.... but it is a pretty heavy penalty on power in the upper R's.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
No disrespect intended at all.

Oh, give it up Tom :biggrin.... everyone knows you are a swell guy - especially after all that you did for everyone for the mile event. But swell guys never stop at just one event (just ask DBK). So when is the next one?? (Please get lots of sleep and rest before you answer.)