Getting ready order lifts: width recommendations?

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Im looking into and trying to decide if "double wides" will work for me (2 cars up on just 4 posts). I have found that 4 posts next to eachother is clunky, taking up floor space. Note this is storage only, no work. Part of my pondering is how much work moving 2 cars from under the lift will be. (and the cars in front of those). Loving the triple heights, we have the height, but they need to be bolted down, but we have radiant heat in the floor. Decisions decisions...
I have the BendPak, double wide. I have a 20x20 garage, and didn't want to have 8 posts in it. The wider track, is the right side, so I put the GT on that side, and the rear tires, if the car is perfectly centered, hang over about an inch on each side. I have to exit the passenger side (hump over the transmission tunnel, into the passenger seat) to get out, 90% of the time, as if the other toy is in place, there's only about 6 inches between the two cars, and no way to get out the driver's side. Yes, it's a pain in the ass, to have to remove the two dailies, in order to get down one of the toys, but it's the only way, to have them, on premises, with a small garage. My wife has a small SUV that parks underneath, and I have my E53 convertible, everything fits nice and cozy. From my picture on my signature, you can see the next to each other, on the lift!

Magic

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 13, 2010
Fredericksburg, TX
I'm using Rotary Lifts "Revolution" RFP-9 4-post lift both at my house and my workshop since mid-2019. So far so good. Check what height your runways are. Mine are 4.75" tall. Some other brands are taller.

Magic

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Thank you for this feedback. Couldn't you back the GT on to be able to use the drivers door? Luckily in my application the cars up top would maybe rotate once or twice a year (GT's would not go up on a double wide).

I have the BendPak, double wide. I have a 20x20 garage, and didn't want to have 8 posts in it. The wider track, is the right side, so I put the GT on that side, and the rear tires, if the car is perfectly centered, hang over about an inch on each side. I have to exit the passenger side (hump over the transmission tunnel, into the passenger seat) to get out, 90% of the time, as if the other toy is in place, there's only about 6 inches between the two cars, and no way to get out the driver's side. Yes, it's a pain in the ass, to have to remove the two dailies, in order to get down one of the toys, but it's the only way, to have them, on premises, with a small garage. My wife has a small SUV that parks underneath, and I have my E53 convertible, everything fits nice and cozy. From my picture on my signature, you can see the next to each other, on the lift!

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Thank you for this feedback. Couldn't you back the GT on to be able to use the drivers door? Luckily in my application the cars up top would maybe rotate once or twice a year (GT's would not go up on a double wide).
With the rear tires hanging off both sides (an inch), backing it on would be difficult. I'm not a kid any more (will be 67 on Monday), but still agile enough to hurdle over the transmission tunnel.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
I used DANNMAR in my barn even though the bendpak is great too.....
First because it was less bulky and had options for 110 or 220 electric.
I think it has a 7,500 weight limit.
Again IMHO its just a little less bulky
gtjoey1314

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
I will say that because I have to clear out a car and other items out of the way in order to take down the GT, I have a tendency NOT to drive it for short drives (like a date with the wife) that I otherwise may have. I think a triple would only exacerbate that behavior.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
I used DANNMAR in my barn even though the bendpak is great too.....
First because it was less bulky and had options for 110 or 220 electric.
I think it has a 7,500 weight limit.
Again IMHO its just a little less bulky
gtjoey1314
My BendPak has a 9,000 pound weight limit, and I would recommend that anyone considering going to the expense of a lift, go with 220 vs 110, unless they want to wait an hour for the 110 to get the lift up to the top!!!

Reactions: soroush

jim gibson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 13, 2009
warren, ohio

jim gibson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 13, 2009
warren, ohio
Specracer, could you give me a part number on the Race Ramps?

Iconic GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 30, 2017
New Braunfels, Texas
Better KNOW your concrete....

Out of curiosity, does anyone own or considered buying a tri-level parking lift like the Bendpak HD-973P or HD-973PX? Can you also use them for maintenance?

View attachment 59161

Not sure what ceiling height you would need for 2 GTs and a Mustang but they look cool. I suppose the height might make me nervous too.

Biginch Blake

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 4, 2008
Rockville, Indiana
Built new garage and looked at a lot off 4 post lifts. I connected new garage to my existing garage/shop, I have two 4 post lifts in it. Both are wide lifts, only way to go. One thing I ran into is that the Bendpac lifts require air to operate the lift locks, I didn’t put air in new garage, it is for GT storage only. Found one I could pick up in Indiana that fit all my needs, 4 post, wide and with 2 jacking units. Like Andy I use Race Ramps for all 3 lifts. I have 3 sets of short and heavy ramps hanging on the wall. Will have to look at papers to get manufacturer when I get home.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I got these, I use a piece of strapping to infill the notch for the lift. Note, the lift lowers a bot more than the ramps, so simply stop the lift at the level of the ramps. For the trailer, the flip out door ramp sits right in the notch. A freind had 2 sets of ramps, I borrowed both, these worked best. Side note, if applicable, these have been made in black and gray. The black ones get hot in the summer sun, I traded with my friend for the gray ones, as he never takes his outside.

My source was amazon / Jegs.

Specracer, could you give me a part number on the Race Ramps?

jr66

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2017
scottsdale
I have enough trouble with a lift for one car. I have attached photos of the Direct lift I use for my 2006. Remember height and length of the lift increase with width as does lifting capacity. Be careful with your ceiling and any door openers, fans, or lights. IMG_0379.jpgIMG_0376 (1).jpgIMG_0380.jpgIMG_0382.jpg

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
I went with the BendPak 7500 wide boat lift set up as I had a boat trailer I needed to store.
Its a 220V set up
When needed I do some car work on it with ease.
The post widths is way bigger then a regular lift so no OMG moments pulling up in the GT and working about hitting.

I used a small section of wood to pop the car onto the ramp to help clear the GT's front lip but easy as...

At it narrowest width setting (as it is all the time, small trailer) it fits any mid size to large track width cars/SUV perfectly.
I store the trailer at max locked height and park the old M5 under it day to day.

Wish it had higher clearance at max locked height to walk under as its only 68"..... a head banger many times and have padded the underside to keep the bad language down.
When I had the garage made I had the centre bay made with a recessed ceiling to make more room so can left it up pretty high to work on cars.

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
Outside post width 133-134"
My door opening is 9" wide so right post sits way more into the right side of garage because its the adjustable ramp side to go wider if you have a big boat.
I have the ramps align currently slightly left of the drive in entrance.
I'd make sure you find out the under clearance of the lift you get at its highest safety lock point... ideally you don't want to start ducking under it (if you have enough ceiling hight).
You'll need about a 11" in ceiling height.
72" of walk clearance +5-6" ramp thickness and 48" for a GT.

Attachments

• IMG_2439.jpeg
    IMG_2439.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2440.jpeg
    IMG_2440.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2441.jpeg
    IMG_2441.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2442.jpeg
    IMG_2442.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 25

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Probably wont do the triple, even though we have more than enough height. But also still in the infancy deciding if Ill make a change (have two 4 posters, and would like to get more in the air, hence also considering 2 "double wides")
Andy double wide is the way to go if space under the lift will be used frequently. Either for moving cars in and out of or just even foot traffic.. if you have a big warehouse then I dont see a need for double wide you can just fill the space with regular 4 post lifts, but if you will be using the space below the lift then not having those extra posts in the middle is a real nice way of decluttering the area. I purchased a double wide last year for my garage and I like the open room under it. As much traffic as we have under that lift I can not imagine having two regular 4 post lifts in its place....

Attachments

• IMG_9632.JPG
    IMG_9632.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 41
Reactions: Empty Pockets

jim gibson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 13, 2009
warren, ohio
I got these, I use a piece of strapping to infill the notch for the lift. Note, the lift lowers a bot more than the ramps, so simply stop the lift at the level of the ramps. For the trailer, the flip out door ramp sits right in the notch. A freind had 2 sets of ramps, I borrowed both, these worked best. Side note, if applicable, these have been made in black and gray. The black ones get hot in the summer sun, I traded with my friend for the gray ones, as he never takes his outside.

My source was amazon / Jegs.

jim gibson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 13, 2009
warren, ohio
Thank you

Cadster

GT Owner
May 21, 2017
I got the extra width Atlas and glad I did. The rear wheels are pretty much flush with the sides of the lift. Maybe a half inch to an inch on each side.

Which model?

jr66

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2017
scottsdale
Make sure you have adequate room to open car doors. It is an issue with the 06 GT. I also agree with the space ramps as they are light and low profile.