Gas gauge done?

JOETWINT

FORD GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 22, 2008
Brooklyn N.Y.
Well it looks like my gas gauge has bit the dust.:ackI tried all the usual steps to get it to come alive again(check and clean ground,trickle charged for 2 weeks,even went for a short drive)but nothing.All the other gauges seem to be working fine:confusedI still haven't tested the gauge itself yet to be sure .......... I will be doing one of free flyer's boost gauges anyway i was waiting to do them both together.

Does anyone know what exactly goes out on them and can the gauge be repaired?

How much for a new gauge?

Does anyone know if they are available?

TIA Joe

Aug 25, 2006
The gauge is likely best replaced; I have unique gauges repaired by Hollywood Speedometer however by the time the shipping etc is considered in this case I would simply swap it out.

The part number is

4G72 928 AA with a retail price at $350.00

All the best

Shadowman

JOETWINT

FORD GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 22, 2008
Brooklyn N.Y.
The gauge is likely best replaced; I have unique gauges repaired by Hollywood Speedometer however by the time the shipping etc is considered in this case I would simply swap it out.
Bill,thanks for the part number and advice........I was thinking about fixing it for a spare but figured as much.It seems like many of them fail.I wonder if it had anything to do with hooking up a trickle charger,because it seemed to happen right after that?Oh well off to the Ford dealer.

ROWNER8

Dec 10, 2007
correction (sorry) part number for the fuel gage is
4G7Z-9280-AA. ford has no stock in any of the warehouses with no ETA on replenishment.

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
Wow I hope Ford will keep us supplied with parts. Or we are going to have a hard time keeping our cars going.

Aug 25, 2006
correction (sorry) part number for the fuel gage is
4G7Z-9280-AA. ford has no stock in any of the warehouses with no ETA on replenishment.

Thank you

Shadowman

kosupply

GT Owner/Board of Directors
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 27, 2006
Houston
just got my car back with new volt meter and gas guage. Control module was bad.....5200.00 ...Ford split it with me....for that price, I think I realy paid the whole tab. The oil pressure guage has been replaced twice under warranty. I am starting to wonder about what parts inventory we are going to need to keep these cars. If I have to worry about parts and can not drive the car....I don't know how long I will keep it

JOETWINT

FORD GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 22, 2008
Brooklyn N.Y.
just got my car back with new volt meter and gas guage. Control module was bad.....5200.00 ...
Wow!And ouch!Now you have me worried.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
just got my car back with new volt meter and gas guage. Control module was bad.....5200.00 ...Ford split it with me....for that price, I think I realy paid the whole tab. The oil pressure guage has been replaced twice under warranty. I am starting to wonder about what parts inventory we are going to need to keep these cars. If I have to worry about parts and can not drive the car....I don't know how long I will keep it

IMHO, I don't think that use, or mileage have much affect on the service life of control module or gauges. In fact as a whole, with the exception of abusive use, or a collision, driving the car periodically will extend it life. The engine's lifespan is well in excess of 60K miles, probably more like 100K+. So enjoy the car drive it, just be careful when it is cold and, or slippery out. :cheers

JOETWINT

FORD GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 22, 2008
Brooklyn N.Y.
Got a call from the dealer today and they said the fuel gauge is on backorder till March at the earliest ........he also called a couple of other sources that told him he shouldn't hold out hope for getting it even at that time.:frown

Pantera1

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 12, 2008
Iowa

Is the control module the "brain box"? If so, one of the gentleman that worked the Saleen line during the GT production told me that part was not unique to the GT but used on some other Fords as well. Does anyone else have info on this? $5200.!! :ack WOW!! What's the core charge I wonder.....

kosupply

GT Owner/Board of Directors
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 27, 2006
Houston
IMHO, I don't think that use, or mileage have much affect on the service life of control module or gauges. In fact as a whole, with the exception of abusive use, or a collision, driving the car periodically will extend it life. The engine's lifespan is well in excess of 60K miles, probably more like 100K+. So enjoy the car drive it, just be careful when it is cold and, or slippery out. :cheers

What I meant by not driving the car is that if we are waiting on parts that are pretty necessary, I will not be able to drive the car. I have 11000 miles on mine and planned on keeping it until I am too weak to push in a clutch pedal.....maybe go to auto then....With a million miles on it...I don't care if my kids sell it for a dollar when I am gone. My point is that I don't want a car that I can not drive....

Acqua5414

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2008
South Florida
It happened to me too

My gas gauge bit the dust too. I don't drive the car too often and I only have 2500 miles on it. The gauge died a few months ago and started working again, but I made sure I told the dealer about it when it happened. It finally quit working a week ago and I took it in for service. By the way, the car was 3 days out of warranty at this time. They replaced the gauge for me and it worked for about 2 days before it died again. I took it back again and after a few days they told me that the second gauge was bad too. Now I am getting the same March-April timeframe for the backordered gauge. I think the gauges are bad, but I also think they need to put a new GEM (body) module in because that is the culprit. I own Auto Computer Exchange and we sell remanufactured and reprogrammed engine control modules. We have replaced a few GEM modules in other Fords. The GEM module is what puts the gauges to sleep when the battery gets low, I think that it is not sending the signal to restart the gas gauge. Anyway, I got Ford to agree to put in a new gauge and GEM module for free when the gauge comes in. The dealer said that they already had the same problem with other GT's. The dealer has been pretty nice about it so far.

JOETWINT

FORD GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 22, 2008
Brooklyn N.Y.
I wonder how much the Gem module is?I think my car is out of warranty with only 280 miles.LOL

Acqua5414

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2008
South Florida
It's definitely going to be a few grand. We fixed one for another GT owner who fried their's doing performance work, but I would rather get a new one before I mess with mine.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
OEM Catalog
Item Number MSRP Core Price Price
4G7Z10E994AA $3,807.02 $0.00 $3,083.68

MODULE

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
On the gas gauge thing , did you guys know theres no float! its a sonic wave kind of set up do to all the stuff in the tank and the location of the tank:eek. NO I HAVENT BEEN DRINKING AND YES ITS THE DAY AFTER NEW YEARS EVE....How i found out was once the proto ran low on gas , i filled my 2 5 gallon containers to cap off the tank for the long winter. Guess what the gauge never reset, now it is the earliest gt but there were early frequency problems....thats why you need the other computer modules/battery charged all the time and all the rest....the gt guys did say on production cars , sometimes if you cycle the key 3 or 4 times it comes back:eek . when we get the 5 mph topic post i will pass on more of the manufacturer stuff as it gets deeper.......:biggrin gtjoey 1314/0004

Acqua5414

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2008
South Florida
Hmm, I'll have to try that. I'll let you know if it comes back. Thanks for the tip.

SFLGT

Dec 29, 2007
FtLauderdale,Florida
This is why a good battery tender is so important in these cars. Most all of the gauge problem cars you will find low batt voltage codes in the instrument control module as well as other modules.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
You guys have really had me worried for some time now, so when I got back from shopping in Carson City today, I fired up my gal and ran it up to temperature for awhile, to (a) charge up the battery, (b) keep the oil galleys full, and (c) remove any condensation that may have formed.

Fortunately, the gas gauge was working fine....

Last edited: