Gas gauge done?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Well, looks like my fuel gauge shot craps in the last week. Torrie has a new one on order for me since they are in stock now. Does anyone know if this fault shows up on a code reader? Is there any way to make sure it's not the sonar unit in the tank? Thanks for any info guys. BTW, my car is always on the battery tender, so don't waste space suggesting it or the ground strap. Frank

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Well, looks like my fuel gauge shot craps in the last week. Torrie has a new one on order for me since they are in stock now. Does anyone know if this fault shows up on a code reader? Is there any way to make sure it's not the sonar unit in the tank? Thanks for any info guys. BTW, my car is always on the battery tender, so don't waste space suggesting it or the ground strap. Frank

Frank...You might want to change out the battery with another car you or a friend has just to check it. My GT's do freaky guage stuff when not fully charged. Before I purchased a guage I would just change out the battery with another top post battery and see what happens. Doesn't have to fit precisely, just enought to get the cables hooked up. Your F-150 might fit...not sure. You can run all the battery testers, amp readings, ohms etc usually to no avail.....I'm not so sure anybody even knows how to read those instruments......I always swap the battery in ANY car I'm having an electrical question about. Too simple and easy. :cheers

Scooter

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 15, 2009
Im confused why would the MFG of the guages take so long to produce a guage? In this economy it's hard to believe there not looking for work like many others out there. Cant we get a guage company to make us some that are reliable? If you read my post from last week my Tach needle just fell off! I thought I was driving a old Chrysler!

Scooter

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 15, 2009
Im confused why would the MFG of the guages take so long to produce a guage? In this economy it's hard to believe there not looking for work like many others out there. Cant we get a guage company to make us some that are reliable? If you read my post from last week my Tach needle just fell off! I thought I was driving a old Chrysler!

My wife is still laughing at me regarding the tach needle:lol

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I thought I was driving a old Chrysler!

Heeeeey!!!!! I HAVE an old Chrys ('37)! And, on it's behalf, I take offense! It duzzunt even HAVE a tach! :lol :cheers

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Friends?

fordgt6

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 19, 2009
East Lake Weir, FL
If yoy put it on the computer you will be able to test the whole system. There is a trouble shooting procedure in the tech manual that will give you all the directions and get you the answers you need. Could be loose connectors, bad pin contacts (had this in my speedometer), sensor, gauge module or gauge. Go for the direct approach the way a tech would do it.
Bob

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Im confused why would the MFG of the guages take so long to produce a guage?

Sadly, in many instances the manufacturers of GT parts are no longer in business and many others are hanging on by a thread. In these cases, Ford must work with other suppliers to get tooled up to make the parts. Of course the business case probably sucks for everyone - Ford, the new manufacturer, and us, the consumer. Making relatively small parts run having to tool up from scratch is hardly cost effective.

fordgt6

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 19, 2009
East Lake Weir, FL
The gauges were made by auto meter inc. I called customer service. They said they were made in their Utah operation which is closed and consolidated into their main operations in Ill. He at first said that he was unaware that they made any gauges for Ford but after I read him the part number off the speedometer which was also marked with Auto Merer Inc he said that was one of theirs. He said he could not sell me the circuit board and I would have to go back through Ford. He also said I could send it to them and they would let me know if it could be repaired and cost.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
The gauges, in fact, were made by Auto Meter and are shown on their website. It happens to be about an hour from where I work. Once I get my gauge out at the Rally, I'll run over there and see what can be done with any bad guages.

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
When you say the gauge doesn't work - do you mean it is reading empty? The reason I ask is, I overfilled the gas tank on mine once and it read empty until I had put about 25 miles on it. The gauge very slowly started to read normally. Needless to say, I am very careful about overfulling - when the nozzle shuts off, thats it. Ed

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
KMC, the gauge is not working - will not leave the empty end at all, despite how much gas is in the tank or how many times I tried to reset the ignition.

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
My problem is gauge reads way past full when full, then stays there. At half full then goes to way past empty. When gas is added goes thru same routine. Did all the electrical tricks and no change. All the other gauges work.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
OK, just got my new gauge from Torrie. It is made in Mexico. Will have the GTGuys install it at the Rally.

Phil

GT Owner
Sep 14, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
This is really interesting. I have the samething happen to me on the fuel gauge. It will have no reading for awhile and sudden comes back to life. After a month or two with this funny act, the fuel gauge is now all back to normal, at least for the last 7 months or so. But however, now my battery gauge started acting funny for the past few months. It will drop dead for i think a minute or so and then it will comes back to normal while stopping or driving. It has been doing this for the past few months now and I took the car back to the dealer but however, no solution as yet. I do remembered the tech did mention something about the type of battery the car use might affect this?? I'm completely cueless.

Phil

GT Owner
Sep 14, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
I have recently when into the dealer and in regards to the gauge not responding issue, the dealer had changed the battery from a red top to a yellow top and told me that the red top battery would give problem such as the gauge issue.

Now that I have got my car back, I will monitor and update you guys whether this gauge problem has been elimanated with the new yellow top battery installed.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I didnt drive for 14 days...and may guage went from 1/4 to 1/2 and then back to 1/4 in space of 1 hr.

I am convinced these guage issues are battery related.

I am keeping my charger on anytime I leave the GT.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Kayvan, I think you have more of a lead problem - lead foot. I can easily use a quarter tank in an hour.