Front plates

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
But the fact they're allowed to ride around on public roads w/o a front 'plate steams me MORE! :lol

Mr. EP,
My pocket is now $35 emptier as I just got one of those no front plate ticket last week in Santa Monica. The fine would go down by $20 if I'd gotten the violation fixed and signed off, but to hell w/ the front plate.

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Mr. EP,
My pocket is now $35 emptier as I just got one of those no front plate ticket last week in Santa Monica. The fine would go down by $20 if I'd gotten the violation fixed and signed off, but to hell w/ the front plate.

Got one of them once. Went to court with picture of car. Judge asked how do you plea? I asked to approach.. then did. Got to the bench and showed the judge a picture of the car and said "when I bought the car, it did not have a license plate bracket. I ordered one and have yet to get it or install it. The only way to "affix" a front plate to the car is to drill holes in the nose and ....

The judge cut me off and said "If i owned that car I'd never drill a hole in the car. Plead not guilty" I stepped back and pled not guilty ... case dismissed.

Paid 12.00 for the court costs .. and carry the ticket and court receipt to this day.. Just in case. And for some reason that damn license plate bracket still is not "in"
:biggrin

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
And for some reason that damn license plate bracket still is not "in"

Torrie, could you please sell a bracket to this poor soul. S592R I believe you can always count on our supporting vendors to get what you need in a timely manner. :rofl

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Torrie, could you please sell a bracket to this poor soul. S592R I believe you can always count on our supporting vendors to get what you need in a timely manner. :rofl

I will supply the correct drill bit, just have to promise to mount the plate with photos.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

The GT COMES WITH ONE in the boot! If Ford HADN'T done that - we wouldn't be required to AFFIX a front plate...in Washington anyway. (And, yes, I know WHY Ford provided one!)

The judge cut me off and said "If i owned that car I'd never drill a hole in the car. Plead not guilty" I stepped back and pled not guilty ... case dismissed.

Good luck with that in MY area. 'Last I heard 'fine is, like, $188(?) now - and this city L-U-V-S traffic fines. So, evidently, does the WSP. I used the argument you put forth as ONE of the reasons why I was seeking a front plate exemption for my FGT - and the WSP Capt. who's IN CHARGE of the exemptions blew 'em ALL off.

Mr. EP,

See above & be thankful you didn't get that tkt HERE! But I agree with you and '592'. There's NO WAY - NO WAY - I'll EVER drill holes in a $200K (at the time) car. PERIOD.

IN fact, I told 'same to the WSP Capt. & suggested ('cause I KNEW he would ANYWAY) that he might wanna give his boys up my way the "heads up"...'cause I was NOT gunna butcher my car simply because some BUREAUCRAT says I gotta.

Now...all that SAID - these days we all CAN get a 'bracket that screws into the tow eye receiver!!! But, that wasn't available then.

Last edited:
H

HHGT

I will supply the correct drill bit, just have to promise to mount the plate with photos.

Here's how Iceman did his.... Now he has 8 screws holding things together....

Attachments

• img_8545-copy.jpg
    img_8545-copy.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 130

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...'just had a brainstorm (shuddup:slap).

Are those 3 vertical 2" wide or so metal "braces"(?) that sit in front of the rad made of ferrous metal??? If so, one could epoxy a couple magnets to the back of their 'plate and...

God only knows what effect having the 'plate that close to the rad might have on cooling. (Be advised, the WSP Capt. INSISTED it'd have no effect when I suggested that was wunna the reasons I didn't want to mount a 'plate there!:lol )

Of course, one COULD apoxy a couple of large "spacers" 'twingst the 'plate & those magnets so the 'plate would "stand off" a ways...

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I never owned a 330i with European plates. My wify had a 330ci, but it came with the correct holes to mount CA plates. Besides all of my cars have 1199 plate frames. These are no longer available as of Jan 1st, 2009.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I never owned a 330i with European plates. My wify had a 330ci, but it came with the correct holes to mount CA plates. Besides all of my cars have 1199 plate frames. These are no longer available as of Jan 1st, 2009.

'Guess you'll just hafta get, "Friend of the Chief", stamped on your driver's license now instead, huh? :rofl

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
'Guess you'll just hafta get, "Friend of the Chief", stamped on your driver's license now instead, huh? :rofl

I have seen better, like a volunteer deputy sheriff badge.

Last edited:

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida

Certainly :lol:lol

BM SoCal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 2, 2009
Orange County, CA
I have left mine off for 9 months and the temp registration is in the window still. My theory is that 99% of people (Police included) think GT's are new cars, don't know they were discontinued in '06. Most people don't even know what they are, just that they're cool.

If the Officer did know what it was he's probably a fan and therefore would let it slide as he understands that putting a front plate on would suck. So I'm thinking that unless I get pulled over for a moving violation I can leave the plates off indefinitely. Funny thing is my plates never showed. Really. Should probably go to DMV and find out why...

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
16 months, no front plate, no tickets. Maybe it is just luck so far but I will take the ticket over putting on the plate.

Having a front plate on a GT is like dating a super model with braces. :ack

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
16 months, no front plate, no tickets. Maybe it is just luck so far but I will take the ticket over putting on the plate.

Having a front plate on a GT is like dating a super model with braces. :ack

or a flat chest......nice but juuuust not right.

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
Hey Chip,

This talk about front plates is interesting but I think it belongs in a thread that is not supposed to be about Texas Mile rules.

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
Hey Chip,

This talk about front plates is interesting but I think it belongs in a thread that is not supposed to be about Texas Mile rules.

Point taken,:thumbsup

The other guy......

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
If only we all lived in Arizona or Pennsylvania where front plates are not necessary!