Four post Lift

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
According to the specs for most 4-post lifts, they don't go high enough for a GT parked underneath to fully raise the clamshell. Anybody know differently?

edit-- maybe I misread the specs, looks like the clamshell needs abt 75".
When the GT is on the bottom, the lift up, I can raise the clamshell, but I have to put a towel on it, as it does hit the raised lift. I can open the clamshell all the way, and it will stay open, but to protect it, I place the microfiber towel at the point of "impact"

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Forward Lifts go to 80". Anybody tried them?

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
I have an American Custom Lifts SUV version that gives 80" clear

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
quality lifts Q4P09W gives 80" clear

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Andy my favorite, Everything is thicker bigger and heavier duty than most any i have had.
I got the wheel option and my 8 year old one works a good as a new one.
Just my opionion

http://www.stingerlifts.com/

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
thanks Tom...just looked at their site and printed out some info..
andy (AJB

HIRISC

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
According to the specs for most 4-post lifts, they don't go high enough for a GT parked underneath to fully raise the clamshell. Anybody know differently? edit-- maybe I misread the specs, looks like the clamshell needs abt 75".

I have a Bendpak HD-9XW (extra long, wide version, extra high). 82" clearance. (not all the way up in pic)
171145f2.jpg

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
I have a Bendpak HD-9XW (extra long, wide version, extra high). 82" clearance. (not all the way up in pic)

HIRISC, you know you can have those ramps fixed and they don't drop.......

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California

How? Mine droop a bit.

HIRISC

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2007
Minneapolis, MN

Yes, but no need to at the shop.. 18' high ceiling - plenty to allow clearance for the bottom car :)

I also like the built in chock that they provide when 'down'.

Thanks.

Willrx

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2012
Atlanta
Anyone ever use the Danmar Commander 7000? Garage space is limited so the 7000X might be a little tight. Opinions? Thanks!:confused

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I have decided on a BendPak HD-9, RJ-45 rolling jack, casters and air kit. Is there any point in shopping around? The dealers I have found online all list the same price for the lift...$2,890.

The local BendPak installer wants $500. He receives the shipment, delivers and installs, including oil.

I did my research on the product, but I'm totally ignorant about how best to buy. Please keep me from doing something stupid. :)

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Gary, for what it's worth, I've got the same lift as you're considering, on advice from Kendall (Nota4re), and I absolutely LOVE it. It's wide, and absolutely trouble free. I originally installed it myself, and didn't bolt it down. But if you're doing it yourself, be forwarned, the one ramp with the hydraulic ram in it is VERY heavy.

Anyway, the only comment I have, is that if it's not bolted down, it's not as "solid" as if it is (mine is now bolted down). I decided I wasn't really ever going to move it in the garage, so the castors were a waste. And if you're ever wrenching under the car, you'll be well pleased that it's fixed solid. It really does make a difference. Your price in the US is about $1000 better than ours in Canada.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Pro...thanks! My thinking on the casters is I could wheel it outside (and probably have to winch it back inside) if I need full height. I have a lifted truck that would not get very high inside the garage.

Biginch Blake

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 4, 2008
Rockville, Indiana
Gary, I have 2 lifts and both have casters, be forewarned you can not move them with a car on them. I have to use a 2X4 as a lever to move them empty. The ones I have got with a scissor lift between the rails and use it every time I have the cars up, $600 to $700 but very handy. Is the lift you are getting air over hydraulics? Both of mine are 12V electric do you think there is and advantage with the air?

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Gary, I have 2 lifts and both have casters, be forewarned you can not move them with a car on them. I have to use a 2X4 as a lever to move them empty. The ones I have got with a scissor lift between the rails and use it every time I have the cars up, $600 to $700 but very handy. Is the lift you are getting air over hydraulics? Both of mine are 12V electric do you think there is and advantage with the air?

Blake, the lifts are fully hydraulic (either 110v or 220v). The air is only to release the locks (and to use the rolling jack).

Gary, are your garage DOORS tall enough to even consider moving the lift outside? It's not particularly light (see Blake's comment), but you also have to be sure that your lifts' legs (including the castor height) will fit under the height of the garage doors. And I can't imagine trying to maneuver that thing (or work under it without your car rolling off, or your lift rolling down) if your driveway has any incline. I'm not that brave anyway.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Columns are 88" and I have 96" opening. Outside is Florida pancake flat. 4" thick pavers set in concrete. I don't think there is one degree of slope, but if there is I can shim it level with some steel plate. Air and 220 both reach. I think it's doable, but how do you know until you try? :) It may turn out to be too much of a PITA to roll 1 1/2 tons on the pavers, in which case I try to sell the casters. Or, I may simply be out of my mind.

Still hoping to generate enough business to bring the GT Guys here, in which case I'd like to make their work environment pleasant and productive.

Appreciate all the advice and comments. Back to buying...any point in shopping dealers, or do I just pick one out of state and save sales tax?

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
$500 is worth delivery and installation all day long. Remember these come motor freight, and if you don't have a fork lift, will be impossible to get off the truck. If your dealer is like mine, they have their trailers such that they deliver with them rigged up such that they never pick up the deck at your house, set up the posts and roll the trailer in to attach.

FWIW, my locks are mechanical, and my scissor lift is hydraulic, so I don't need any air ever (not Bend Pak). My casters move the lifts easily. Have moved them a couple times as things in the garage have evolved. Did it once with a car on it, wont try that again.... did it, but NOT easy...

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Gary, it is worth paying a little more to buy from your local dealer and have him set it up. Give the installers a 12 pack when they are finished and you will be treated like royalty if you need any after the sale service. I do everything myself, but for $500, I wouldn't even look at the lift, let alone install it.

Last edited:

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Agree with the above. For $500 it's a no-brainer. Plus if you ever have any issues, it may be a bit easier getting service if your guy is local.