Four post Lift

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
I need some more room. Finally ready to get a four post lift for one of the garage bays. I know there are many threads on lifts, but I want to get a good brand and also have it installed professionally.

Any recommendations on:
-the brand of lift
-features (pans, sliding attachements , ramps ) etc that I would need.
-companies in the Detroit area to deliver and install in my garage.

Thanks

AJB (andy)

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I have a very basic lift that I bought from a local company. The lift hasnt been A problem sense I got the initial install straighten out but I would add two pieces of advice, take it for what's its worth.

1- Ramps: make sure you get ramps that can accommodate a low profile car like the GT. This usually means they need to been the longest version the company sells. Try to get aluminum ramps, steel ramps are rediculasley heavy.

2-lighting: if I had it to do over I would have installed recessed floor lighting before the lift.

Cheers

Reactions: reiner

Biginch Blake

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 4, 2008
Rockville, Indiana
I did a lot of comparing and found this unit from Complete Hydraulics to be the best suited for my needs.
1. 10,000# capacity, can work on my F-350 or Kubota.
2. The lift does not have to be bolted to the floor and come with casters so it can be moved around my shop.
3. Run of 110 Volts and has plenty of power.
4. Me and my boys assembled it in 6 hour, had to use Kubota frond end loader to help lift sections.
5. Must have 12 or more ceiling height for top car/truck if you go all the way up.
6. The center lift jack is a must for lifting car to change tires ect.
7. One of their warehouses was only 80 miles from home and I picked up and saved freight costs.

See attached links to lift and jack.

http://www.completehydraulic.com/lifts-4-post-sl10000xl.html
http://www.completehydraulic.com/lifts-bridge-jacks-slrbj5.html

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I would highly recommend the BendPak HD14 (14K lb capacity) and one of the rolling jack bridges - RJ7. This is the lift we have had at CoolTech since day 1. NEVER had a problem or issue with it. The rolling jack bridge can be easily put into position under either the front or rear GT jack points. The jack bridge has a 7K lb capacity. Maybe overkill if you are just looking for storage capacity, but I really think the BendPak is about the best in the business. (IMHO)

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
I bought a Danmar from Costco, no problems.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Andy, I thnk there are basically 3 classes (and price ranges). The off shore basic solution, these are $18xx ish (not installed, can even be bought at Costco I believe). We have 3 of these, the center accessories slide (not roll) back and forth. They have an american pump though. Perfect for what we need them for.

Next up is off shore, but beefier, and the center accessories roll on a track. We have one of these, nicer for sure, but in the $3xxx range.
This is the one we have, I see they have a number to find local support.
http://www.qualitylifts.com/auto-li...car-lift-truck-lift-parking-lift-installation

Dont have a bend pak, but I sure it might be better, dont know about $, but might be more.

One of the main factors for what we have is the local dealer that I have become friends with, that set them all up for us. As mentioned above, not hard to put together, but I just wanted it to get done so had them all delivered and installed.

Accessories, assuming your car (or what you plan to put on it) does not leak, you dont need drip trays. If you plan on working on the car, vs just storage, get the rolling jack. If you just get the "jack tray" you will only be able to fit a bottle jack under the GT, and it is a pain. I now have the integrated scissor jack. Also a "+1" on the extended ramps, I did not get them, and have to use a 24" 2x10 to avoid a scuff of the splitter. None of ours are bolted down.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
+1 on the Bendpak. I have the 4 post, double wide, and I put two cars up, and park the 2 DD's underneath (including a SUV). The ramps that came with it are heavy, and not long enough, my GT is dropped, so it's even more difficult. I use "RaceRamps" that go into the heavy steel ramps, and I can get the GT on and off, without a problem. Even with the adjustable width at the widest point, if the car is perfectly "centered" on the ramps, the rear tires hang off an inch on both sides. Our cars are some wide beasts, they are. I have given thought on getting the rolling jack bridge to change tires, but it seems kind of like overkill for me, since I'd only be changing the tires/wheels on my DD for the snows.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
I have 2 Rotary Revolution 9000 pound lifts. No issues. Consider lighter ramps than standard. Bolt it in though some don't. You need side mounted Liftmaster motors.

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
Andy, I thnk there are basically 3 classes (and price ranges). The off shore basic solution, these are $18xx ish (not installed, can even be bought at Costco I believe). We have 3 of these, the center accessories slide (not roll) back and forth. They have an american pump though. Perfect for what we need them for.

Next up is off shore, but beefier, and the center accessories roll on a track. We have one of these, nicer for sure, but in the $3xxx range.
This is the one we have, I see they have a number to find local support.
http://www.qualitylifts.com/auto-li...car-lift-truck-lift-parking-lift-installation

Dont have a bend pak, but I sure it might be better, dont know about $, but might be more.

One of the main factors for what we have is the local dealer that I have become friends with, that set them all up for us. As mentioned above, not hard to put together, but I just wanted it to get done so had them all delivered and installed.

Accessories, assuming your car (or what you plan to put on it) does not leak, you dont need drip trays. If you plan on working on the car, vs just storage, get the rolling jack. If you just get the "jack tray" you will only be able to fit a bottle jack under the GT, and it is a pain. I now have the integrated scissor jack. Also a "+1" on the extended ramps, I did not get them, and have to use a 24" 2x10 to avoid a scuff of the splitter. None of ours are bolted down.

i have 2 of the quality lifts and have no problems. i purchased the extra long ramps and they work great. also went with the scissor jack. it is a manual pump jack. don't have to bolt down.

DanielJ

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2010
Washington State
We have 3x of the Back Yard Buddy Lifts made in the USA. These are movable with the optional wheels. Never any problems and are easy to erect. Ramps are not that heavy but aluminum are lighter. Do not recommend any ramp to be bolted to the lift. Just seems like that is something else to bump into or get in the way while working on the car. Feel free to send a PM with more questions. DJ.

2ql9yeu.jpg

2dqkn60.jpg

97i1qt.jpg

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
I have as many the Bendpak HD-9xxx Fantastic! Never one issue as Kendall stated. Also the rolling jack is a necessity. Reason I choose - certification (UL, ETL, ANSI whatever....). Also I fixed the from ramps so no messing around with that hassle.

BTW - adding a second BP-HD-9 in a three car garage so 5 cars in a 3 by end of August....

check out garagejoiurnal.com - forum as there are many many many threads to review - which is why I made the choice of a BP....

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
...so 5 cars in a 3 by end of August....

That's exactly what I'd like to do. In fact, I'd like to go "6" in a "3". But, I live in a quake zone, so it ain't gunna happen.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
I would recommend getting the largest lift that will fit in the desired area.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
I would highly recommend the BendPak HD14 (14K lb capacity) and one of the rolling jack bridges - RJ7. This is the lift we have had at CoolTech since day 1. NEVER had a problem or issue with it. The rolling jack bridge can be easily put into position under either the front or rear GT jack points. The jack bridge has a 7K lb capacity. Maybe overkill if you are just looking for storage capacity, but I really think the BendPak is about the best in the business. (IMHO)

How's the access under the GT with the rolling bridges? Can you get the pans off easy enough?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
How's the access under the GT with the rolling bridges? Can you get the pans off easy enough?

I have 2 rolling jacks on a HD9, no problem rolling them out of the way. The air hoses get in the way but NBD. If cost isn't an issue have 2 jacks give you more options.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN

Last edited:

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
I have 2 rolling jacks on a HD9, no problem rolling them out of the way. The air hoses get in the way but NBD. If cost isn't an issue have 2 jacks give you more options.

I was preparing to put in a 2 post couple of weeks ago, but paused for a review since it needs to go in my primary parking spot for the GT course and the posts are a nuisance. 4 post seems better since you get better storage convenience. I just thought the 4-post with rolling jacks would be less convenient or even inhibiting for working underneath considering the ramps, jack beams, getting the pans off, access along the edges where the ramps run, etc. Not so?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I just thought the 4-post with rolling jacks would be less convenient or even inhibiting for working underneath considering the ramps, jack beams, getting the pans off, access along the edges where the ramps run, etc. Not so?

Not at all!!!! For Ford GT work, the 4-post is ideal. The typical drawback for the 4-post is that it is difficult to do suspension work but the jack bridge(s) solve that too.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Not at all!!!! For Ford GT work, the 4-post is ideal. The typical drawback for the 4-post is that it is difficult to do suspension work but the jack bridge(s) solve that too.

Wow. The things I learn from you guys. There's hope for me yet.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California

:agree:

Not for a FGT. However if you want to "pull" (drop) an engine from some cars a 2 post may be better. I haven't done it, but I can imagine that the 2 ramps may get in the way.

Last edited: